The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014 (steambox?)

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Didn't see a good thread, but how do you PC brehs feel about Mantle @daze23 @Liquid @Kodie @Malta

posted my thoughts in the PC thread:

we'll have to see how the Mantle stuff works out, but it's definitely already a controversial subject. older PC gamers remember 3dfx's Glide API and all the fragmentation it caused. and how DX was seen as a good thing coming out of that, since everyone could use it

plus it seems they are going in a different direction from Valve and Nvidia. AMD hinted at a Linux announcement, but really didn't deliver (I think they said something about "cross platform", but nothing really specific). and people worry about the further fragmentation that could cause

things in the PC gaming universe have been pretty simple for a minute. the most someone had to worry about was the minimum specs, and maybe if they could use stuff like Physx. but things look like they're gonna get a little more complicated...

this as well

kinda early, and we'll have to wait and see. shyt is very interesting though

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
the first thing that comes to mind about Mantle is, what is Microsoft going to hold on to? Them bypassing dx and having BF4 already on board from the jump is nuts

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
the first thing that comes to mind about Mantle is, what is Microsoft going to hold on to? Them bypassing dx and having BF4 already on board from the jump is nuts
That's what I'm saying. I think smaller devs/indies without abstraction layers in their engines will stick with OpenGL, the bigger/more complex ones will go with Mantle, and then what will be the fukking point of DirectX, besides backwards compatibility?

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
That's what I'm saying. I think smaller devs/indies without abstraction layers in their engines will stick with OpenGL, the bigger/more complex ones will go with Mantle, and then what will be the fukking point of DirectX, besides backwards compatibility?
Microsoft has the biggest install base and that is what they will be holding on to for the foreseeable future. Something tells me that Valve is sweetening the pot in the background and pointing to how Windows going forward can be a nightmare if everything must be not only go through DX, but on their marketplace as well. That can mean doom for the smaller people when its being told how to operate by a company that has a 90% market share.

Julius Skrrvin

Daps
Microsoft has the biggest install base and that is what they will be holding on to for the foreseeable future. Something tells me that Valve is sweetening the pot in the background and pointing to how Windows going forward can be a nightmare if everything must be not only go through DX, but on their marketplace as well. That can mean doom for the smaller people when its being told how to operate by a company that has a 90% market share.
I'm confused though. It's not like Mantle and OpenGL can't run on Win7 and 8, why is install base relevant here?

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps

it was funny cause they were talking about how they worked with microsoft to get the features they needed in dx11.1/2, but then... fukk all that, we going Mantle

I don't know the politics of it, but I can imagine M$ being salty about that :heh:

Julius Skrrvin

Daps
it was funny cause they were talking about how they worked with microsoft to get the features they needed in dx11.1/2, but then... fukk all that, we going Mantle

I don't know the politics of it, but I can imagine M$ being salty about that :heh:
they can probably smell the way things are gonna go on consoles :troll:

prolly never forgave them for being lax as shyt with PC gaming since the Xbox dropped :troll:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!

Another reason why Ballmer needs the :camby:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
I'm confused though. It's not like Mantle and OpenGL can't run on Win7 and 8, why is install base relevant here?
just that it throws a loop into microsofts strategy.

their entire strategy appears to be tying everything together. RT and WP8 only support DirectX as well as "Metro Apps" on the desktop from what I remember. That obviously causes a problem for valve, thus we now have SteamOS

Kodie

Pro
Daps
Didn't see a good thread, but how do you PC brehs feel about Mantle @daze23 @Liquid @Kodie @Malta
I didn't read the whole article so I'm a little confused as to what it actually is. The best summary I've seen is that it's a low-level API that brings console levels of performance to PC. If this is true, then that sounds great to me. Of course, as good as it might be, it needs support before it can truly get anywhere. John Carmack implied that Sony and MS may not be too friendly and Steam Machines are currently targeting NVidias. Together this might mean that this technology never really gets off the ground.