The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014 (steambox?)

CTech83

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
:ohhh:

Not sure how I feel about that x and y button placement, but i'm definitely interested. If this thing could level the playing field between controller and KB&M players, i'll definitely buy it. My only issue with PC gaming in the living room right now is not being able to use a KB&M. Using an Xbox controller while playing a multi-player FPS just ain't fair.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
this will be like playing fps on a cellphone :scusthov:

but dem haptics :lupe:

this is another issue they're trying to address. it remains to be seen how it works, but I have some faith in Valve. they could have easily made a dual-stick controller, but they didn't. and I don't think the trackpads are a 'gimmick'

having more buttons on the back sounds like a good idea. one thing about most controllers is you only really use your two thumbs and index fingers most of the time. think if there were some more buttons on the back that you could hit with your pinky and ring fingers. it reminds me of 'gaming mice' that have extra buttons all over them. you end up being able to use your whole hand, as opposed to a couple fingers. there's also the issue where most of the time you have to take your thumb off the right stick to press the face buttons. more buttons on the back could help with that

I try to be open minded to new things. there's always a natural apprehension, but you really can't make progress without taking risks. and again, Valve has been working on this since like 2009, so I have some faith that this thing could be very functional

GulfCoastGhost

No more snow
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY/Sarasota
If anyone else made that controller it would be Sodom and Gamora up in here

No d-pad? No fighting games I guess
I haven't used it, but it LOOKS awful

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
Unsure-Larry-David.gif

GulfCoastGhost

No more snow
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY/Sarasota
If anyone else made that controller it would be Sodom and Gamora up in here

No d-pad? No fighting games I guess
I haven't used it, but it LOOKS awful
PLUS
I love FPS, and hate them on touch screen phones/tablets

This looks like the same shyt

CTech83

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
PLUS
I love FPS, and hate them on touch screen phones/tablets

This looks like the same shyt

I'm not a fan of them on phones/tablets either, but that's mostly due to the virtual buttons. Movement and aiming is decent, but it just doesn't feel as natural as a controller. Depending on the feel those touch pads, it might just work.

That's just me being optimistic though. :manny:

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
They're trying to mimic the speed of the mouse, you can't do that with thumbsticks so I can see why they went with trackpads. Remains to be seen how accurate it is, but the speed should be there.

People who don't use mice for gaming have no clue just how fast you can maneuver.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
No fighting games I guess

anyone that's serious about that sort of thing would probably get a 'fight stick' anyway. just like someone serious about racing games would probably get a wheel. and to be clear, it may be weird (at first), but I don't see why you couldn't play fighting games with that thing

and you can still use your 360, or whatever controller. but this thing is clearly trying to deal with many issues they have, like older PC games that provide no controller support. the idea of having community configurations to help with that is a real good idea

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
anyone that's serious about that sort of thing would probably get a 'fight stick' anyway. just like someone serious about racing games would probably get a wheel. and to be clear, it may be weird (at first), but I don't see why you couldn't play fighting games with that thing

and you can still use your 360, or whatever controller. but this thing is clearly trying to deal with many issues they have, like older PC games that provide no controller support. the idea of having community configurations to help with that is a real good idea
That's a win/win for adopters of SteamOS. You can still use your own preferred methods at the end of the day. This is genius, It's really starting to click for me. I honestly see how this can lure people who's on the fence about PC gaming.

"What about the controller, I hate using controllers against KB/M players!"
Steam Controller.
"Well what If I want to play fighting games??"
Buy a fightstick or use a 360/ps3/ps4/xbone controller.
Now the last step is making everything simple and accessible for the average joe and you now have someone who can benefit from PC gaming without actually getting into the nuts and bolts of figuring everything out.