The Sopranos Series - Re-Watch (Spoilers!!!)

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
The reason I dont hate on the Columbus Day episode is cuz it was fukkery. And as a viewer fukkey keeps me entertained,

if we are being honest....Pine Barrens was also a filler episode.didnt move the plot forward at all and could be classified as silly filler. yet the fukkery was so strong it became the most famous episode of the series.think about it. a goofy episode that didnt progress Tony's devolution is the most famous and hardly featured him.

so is Pine Barrens wack filler cuz it didnt progress the plot? food for thought.

now me? the writing and acting is so strong even filler has me :laff: f: thats why its such a highly regarded show. sopranos on a bad day is better than a good shows best day. Ive said my piece:manny:

I don't think "Pine Barrens" is filler when you think about it. That episode goes a long way in showing how Tony was starting to look at Paulie as a liability. All Paulie had to do was go pick up some money for Silvio. Because he was incompetent, the money never came in, the Russian guy suffered a permanent head injury, Chris was put in danger, and the crew lost valuable business. Paulie already resented Tony because he felt like he was being pushed aside in favor of Ralphie. In the season finale, Paulie's fears are confirmed when Tony rules in Ralphie's favor. This is what leads Paulie to befriend Johnny Sack, start telling him valuable information about the Jersey crew, and think that New York will take care of him. Johnny finds out about the joke from Paulie. And later on in season four, Paulie even tells Silvio that his relationship with Tony got worse after the events of "Pine Barrens."

That episode is not only an all-time classic, but it set up storylines that were still being paid off in season six. :whew:

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
S6e4

Tony being racist towards the Jewish dude now. :laff:
3389727c-7d30-421d-b55b-c0e033f8509f_text.gif

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
S6e4

Tony being racist towards the Jewish dude now. :laff:
Tony is a scumbag, but this also shows how Hesh doesn't respect him.

Not saying he has to, but he's really only in it for the money and protection that Tony offers. Looking back I don't think their relationship was ever anything more than business and a false sense of family because Hesh was cool with Tony's father.

Tryna Makit

High plains drifter
Daps
Tony Scumbag: "I got some change too"
Hesh: :mjcry:
Tony Scumbag: "It's a joke!!! Where's that sense of humor???"
The last season the show runners decided to strip Tony of any redeemable qualities he once had.
I think the goal was to finally make this guy completely unlikable.

Tony has always been a hypocrite....a real "Do as I say, not as I do" boss:ufdup:

But once he becomes a in his own words "Degenerate fukkin gambler" it's all over for him.
It's his "rock bottom" he finally became the one thing he always hated

And when hesh lost his girlfriend....The motherfukker practically skipped down the stairs
There were two things Tony never had any love for...
Gamblers...and black people smh

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
The last season the show runners decided to strip Tony of any redeemable qualities he once had.
I think the goal was to finally make this guy completely unlikable.

Tony has always been a hypocrite....a real "Do as I say, not as I do" boss:ufdup:

But once he becomes a in his own words "Degenerate fukkin gambler" it's all over for him.
It's his "rock bottom" he finally became the one thing he always hated

And when hesh lost his girlfriend....The motherfukker practically skipped down the stairs
There were two things Tony never had any love for...
Gamblers...and black people smh

He was pretty irredeemable throughout the series, they just removed much of his warm charm from previous seasons as he begins to lose everything in season 6.

ArchStanton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He was pretty irredeemable throughout the series, they just removed much of his warm charm from previous seasons as he begins to lose everything in season 6.
I honestly believe the show started off with the idea that Tony would redeem himself and at some point Chase decided that he couldn't be redeemed and then they set about making him less and less likable. I could be wrong but there were episodes like the one where he ended up drunk talking about "he didn't hurt nobody" that seemed to slowly be building up to a redemption.

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
I honestly believe the show started off with the idea that Tony would redeem himself and at some point Chase decided that he couldn't be redeemed and then they set about making him less and less likable. I could be wrong but there were episodes like the one where he ended up drunk talking about "he didn't hurt nobody" that seemed to slowly be building up to a redemption.

Season 3 is when Chase started making changes because he felt viewers were rooting for the Mafia a little too hard, especially Tony.

Hence the episode "University" where Tracy gets whacked and they are all pretty much business as usual and nonchalant about her demise...

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Chase, for as contradictory and typical artists creative vagueness as he can be, is pretty well quoted on the idea that he intentionally made Tony less and less likable, as a large certain segment of fans (bored, suburban males over identifying with Tony) began to call for more bloodshed, something along those lines.

Which is somewhat off, because that's exactly who he made Tony BE, the white male trapped in a changing world, where he feels last, and "came in at the end", late capitialism, the end of the mafia, the end of the 90's, pre 91/1. Also, Tony strangles someone in the first 4 episodes, and they had to fight for that to be in the series.

He's a great interview, for all his bullshyt. I can't remember reading if he ever had a more redemptive arc in mind, but he has said that he didn't want to go the cliched route for Mafia movies, which is always redemption, death, or jail.

Busby

Real name no gimmicks..
Daps
Reppin
San Jose, Cali
I savored that ass whooping…matter of fact lemme watch that scene again :banderas:

Just watched this scene…Tony deserved every bit of that ass whipping. What made it sweeter was that it was from good ole Bobby.

By far one of the funniest scenes of the entire series :russ:

However…Tony had the last laugh in the end…

Last edited: