The Smart Home Thread

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Taxes and insurance also go up when you own a home. The interest you pay on a home with a mortgage is also gone. Unless you bought the house cash or paid it off incredibly fast you'll pay close in interest to what the home is worth when it's all said and done. The first half of the mortgage is mostly interest payments. Market crashes happen and people can end up upside down on their home. Areas can go into decline and property values can fall.

When I was a kid my parents lived in a good neighborhood and there house was worth a decent amount. As an adult when the older folks moved out and or died they were replaced by young knuckleheads. Their neighborhood went south and the property values fell. My parent's house isn't really worth jack shyt now. It's definitely not worth what it was when I was younger and the area was much better.

People that own houses will tell you there's always some project or problem that they need to work on. It takes money to work on that stuff. Many people don't have large amounts of money sitting around. I don't know if you've looked at statistics lately but many Americans can't even survive a $1000 emergency without going into debt to cover it. Most people are buying previously owned homes. Do you really think the owner is gonna fix everything wrong in the home before they well it?
I'm pro home ownership and there is absolutely nothing wrong in the info you are posting.

Dolla$

Minus the bullsh*t...life's great
Daps
Taxes and insurance also go up when you own a home. The interest you pay on a home with a mortgage is also gone. Unless you bought the house cash or paid it off incredibly fast you'll pay close in interest to what the home is worth when it's all said and done. The first half of the mortgage is mostly interest payments. Market crashes happen and people can end up upside down on their home. Areas can go into decline and property values can fall.

When I was a kid my parents lived in a good neighborhood and there house was worth a decent amount. As an adult when the older folks moved out and or died they were replaced by young knuckleheads. Their neighborhood went south and the property values fell. My parent's house isn't really worth jack shyt now. It's definitely not worth what it was when I was younger and the area was much better.

People that own houses will tell you there's always some project or problem that they need to work on. It takes money to work on that stuff. Many people don't have large amounts of money sitting around. I don't know if you've looked at statistics lately but many Americans can't even survive a $1000 emergency without going into debt to cover it. Most people are buying previously owned homes. Do you really think the owner is gonna fix everything wrong in the home before they well it?
That’s why you get a home warranty like American Shield. Anything goes wrong with the crib from HVAC to plumbing to appliances it will be covered and fixed with one call

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
I didn't know a thread like this existed. here are some things I've added to the house.
Smart cameras. they detect anyone coming near the house and alarms me on my phone.
Smart lights they wake me up in the morning when it's time to go to work.
Google home gives me the news and tells me things relating to the day.
Chromecast connected to every tv so I can cast music and movies to any tv. (if I'm in the living room I can pause the video and continue it in the bedroom.)
chrome cast audio connected to the wall speakers so the house can play music too.(trying to figure out how to give it a "voice" like Jarvis from iron man)
Dimmers(the best thing I've bought. the fact that you can turn them off physically and by voice commands is too :wow: to me) I'm thinking of installing them in every room.

What I want
Smart doorbells(my house doesn't have a doorbell wire this makes it hard for me to go smart doorbell shopping)
Homepod(I'm an iPhone owner so all this google stuff is new to me. Sadly Google is better at the moment)
Apple tv(so I can cast without the chromecast)
smart locks just for the deck though
smart blinds
more smart plugs for the coffee maker and lamps around the house.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
People who blindly preach against renting are foolish. There are plenty of situations where renting is better for people than home ownership. Owning a home isn't for everyone. In the short-term home ownership is far more expensive than renting. Renters in apartments don't need to own stuff like lawn care equipment, washers and dryers, snow removal equipment, refrigerators, dish washers. Our landlords foot the cost for that stuff. We don't have to put roofs on our homes, get a new furnace, pay to fix the plumbing.

When you own a home all that stuff is on you and you need the money and time to handle it. People like you talk dumb people into home ownership and they end up house poor.

Yeah and in the end you dont have shyt to show for all the rent you've paid.

Meanwhile I bought my first home at age 21 for 80K, sold it 1 year later for 134K, sold my next home at a 20K profit, sold my next home at an 8K profit, and now I owe 64K on a house that just appraised for 294K.

Home ownership almost pays for its self if you do it right.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Yeah and in the end you dont have shyt to show for all the rent you've paid.

Meanwhile I bought my first home at age 21 for 80K, sold it 1 year later for 134K, sold my next home at a 20K profit, sold my next home at an 8K profit, and now I owe 64K on a house that just appraised for 294K.

Home ownership almost pays for its self if you do it right.
The point of renting is to keep a roof over your head at minimal cost for a short term window of time. It isn't to be tied down to a particular spot long term and build equity.

Your money has to be right to own a home. You can rent and have fukked up paper because your landlord takes care of the high cost maintenance.

For the people that need it renting is a blessing. For the people that can't afford it home ownership is a curse. Picture living paycheck to paycheck and the furnace going out on you. If you're a renter you make a phone call and if you're a home owner hopefully you got some paper in savings or you about to go into debt.

Creepn

All Star
Daps
The point of renting is to keep a roof over your head at minimal cost for a short term window of time. It isn't to be tied down to a particular spot long term and build equity.

Your money has to be right to own a home. You can rent and have fukked up paper because your landlord takes care of the high cost maintenance.

For the people that need it renting is a blessing. For the people that can't afford it home ownership is a curse. Picture living paycheck to paycheck and the furnace going out on you. If you're a renter you make a phone call and if you're a home owner hopefully you got some paper in savings or you about to go into debt.
Listen man you do you but whenever stuff breaks down, insurance takes care of it. It's not really a big deal. No different than a car. It takes money to maintain stuff, that's just the way it is. Even if you take a loss on the house, you can still recuperate some money back if you sell. This is not the case with renting.

You say your money isn't right for owning and that's fine but don't make it seem like renting is such a big advantage.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Listen man you do you but whenever stuff breaks down, insurance takes care of it. It's not really a big deal. No different than a car. It takes money to maintain stuff, that's just the way it is. Even if you take a loss on the house, you can still recuperate some money back if you sell. This is not the case with renting.

You say your money isn't right for owning and that's fine but don't make it seem like renting is such a big advantage.
Renting is a big advantage. Our entire economy was almost sunk because they were making homeowners out of people that should have been renters. How anybody could have lived through that but still blindly preach home ownerships is beyond me. There are a lot of people that have no business owning a home.

I'm saying this as a person that fully believes in home ownership and is actively looking for a house. Renting an apartment let me get my life in order. There were times living in the very apartment I live in now where if anything went wrong I'd have been screwed owning a home. Times I spent my checks down to the last dime and I was dead broke and only having to pay $400 a month for a place to live with no maintenance cost was a blessing.

Creepn

All Star
Daps
Renting is a big advantage. Our entire economy was almost sunk because they were making homeowners out of people that should have been renters. How anybody could have lived through that but still blindly preach home ownerships is beyond me. There are a lot of people that have no business owning a home.

I'm saying this as a person that fully believes in home ownership and is actively looking for a house. Renting an apartment let me get my life in order. There were times living in the very apartment I live in now where if anything went wrong I'd have been screwed owning a home. Times I spent my checks down to the last dime and I was dead broke and only having to pay $400 a month for a place to live with no maintenance cost was a blessing.
Then why are you actively looking to own a home?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Then why are you actively looking to own a home?
Because for me owning my own home makes sense. I plan to stay where I’m at long term, I’ve got almost 10 years on my job, I live off half of what I make. I can afford to get a home and I’m decent enough with money to get it paid down and off fairly quickly. I need a long term solution to my living situation.

Home ownership is like going to college right out of high school. It’s a concept people push around like everyone needs to do it but not everyone needs to be a home owner. There are plenty of folks that go to college out of high school and flunk out. Many of them only did it because “that’s what you do.” There are plenty of folks that got foreclosed on because they bought a house thinking “I pay that much in rent, I should buy a home. That’s what you do.”

Dolla$

Daps
Looking to cop these next

Can’t wait for my Vivint contract to run out so i can switch over to have my whole security system provided by Ring. I’m looking to get the Ring doorbell but idk how it would work because i own a multi family that has an intercom system connected to both units. Would i have to purchase two ring doorbells since that is the case?

Dolla$

Daps
Purchased a Nest thermostat, 4 Nest Protects and a Ring Spotlight Cam

Still got a lot more to do to make my home into a complete smart home but I’m slowly getting there.

Need to get 4 more Nest protects and then I’m gonna start focusing on Smart bulbs

Last edited:

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have a google home and three google minis
smart lock
smart cameras
20 or so sengled smart light bulbs

all running through my security system

I think next is a google home max to up the quality on the music I play through the google homes