Dolla$

Minus the bullsh*t...life's great
Daps
Just ordered an August Smart lock

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I only have one of those TP link bulbs for my room. It's cool. I needed it since my room doesn't actually have a light socket(built the room out of a unused living room space in the 3rd floor) so I just hung a light shade from the roof and connected it to a outlet. Other than the color changing and auto schedule it's alright.

I have a Google Home mini and I left it unplugged for months. I just don't see much use for it right now.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I'm on my 3rd Nest now. I don't have a common wire in my apartment so they keep dying after a few years. This year I turned the AC on and the damn thing says not enough power from the AC wire.

I bought a new Nest and plugged it up to the same spot with no changes after reseating my old one a few times. The new one works flawlessly.

Crappy hvac system in these apartments doesn't have a common wire and I can't add one.

Just ordered an August Smart lock
I love mine. When I get a house I'll buy a second for the back door. So nice to be able to let people in without having to give them a key. Somebody can call and you can remotely unlock the door or you can add them to the Bluetooth and set up times it unlocks for them.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
:mjlol:

Rename the thread smart apartment. I hope you are saving up for a house instead of buying random crap too
You don’t have to own a home to own smart devices. Home ownership isn’t for everyone. Renting has its advantages. I never have to cut the grass or shovel snow or pay to fix anything when it breaks. Also my living expenses add up to less than 26% of my take home. I couldn’t get a mortgage anywhere decent for what I pay in rent here. Taxes and insurance alone would see to that.

Yeah I’m saving money in general and yeah I’m looking for a house but I’m not a fool. Renting isn’t bad.

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition
You don’t have to own a home to own smart devices. Home ownership isn’t for everyone. Renting has its advantages. I never have to cut the grass or shovel snow or pay to fix anything when it breaks. Also my living expenses add up to less than 26% of my take home. I couldn’t get a mortgage anywhere decent for what I pay in rent here. Taxes and insurance alone would see to that.

Yeah I’m saving money in general and yeah I’m looking for a house but I’m not a fool. Renting isn’t bad.
So I'm a believer in Dave Ramsey's financial philosophies, and you should scope out this video he posted in May:

BLUF: You're right, renting is not a bad call..if you are a younger dude establishing credit and clearing up debt. I'm 26 bruh. My car's paid off, I have no loans, I'm investing...but this money I pay to my apartment complex? It's making other people rich. I'm pissing it away. And I'm done making other people rich. Renting is fine, just don't do it your whole life. Those smart devices will all depreciate in value and eventually become obsolete. Homes grow in value. Time is only on your side for so long.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
So I'm a believer in Dave Ramsey's financial philosophies, and you should scope out this video he posted in May:

BLUF: You're right, renting is not a bad call..if you are a younger dude establishing credit and clearing up debt. I'm 26 bruh. My car's paid off, I have no loans, I'm investing...but this money I pay to my apartment complex? It's making other people rich. I'm pissing it away. And I'm done making other people rich. Renting is fine, just don't do it your whole life. Those smart devices will all depreciate in value and eventually become obsolete. Homes grow in value. Time is only on your side for so long.

You aren't pissing money away renting you're paying to rent a place to live and your landlord assumes certain responsibilities you don't have to. A home you live in is not an asset. The best reason to own a home is hopefully long term when you own it outright your cost of living goes down substantially.

Owning a home is expensive. You need to be very financially stable to own one. You need huge cash reserves to handle issues for example. People who rent don't have to have that. It's not just looking at your rent payment and saying I could get a mortgage for that. You need to be saving 1-3% of the house value annually to make fixes.

Also if you rent and invest the difference between owning a home and renting you'll likely come out ahead. Owning a home usually makes you richer if you pay it off and continue to live in it long term. If you sell it and upgrade homes it might not.

Daps
Reppin
NULL

Man what you are saying is just dumb. Stop.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Man what you are saying is just dumb. Stop.
People who blindly preach against renting are foolish. There are plenty of situations where renting is better for people than home ownership. Owning a home isn't for everyone. In the short-term home ownership is far more expensive than renting. Renters in apartments don't need to own stuff like lawn care equipment, washers and dryers, snow removal equipment, refrigerators, dish washers. Our landlords foot the cost for that stuff. We don't have to put roofs on our homes, get a new furnace, pay to fix the plumbing.

When you own a home all that stuff is on you and you need the money and time to handle it. People like you talk dumb people into home ownership and they end up house poor.

Creepn

All Star
Daps
People who blindly preach against renting are foolish. There are plenty of situations where renting is better for people than home ownership. Owning a home isn't for everyone. In the short-term home ownership is far more expensive than renting. Renters in apartments don't need to own stuff like lawn care equipment, washers and dryers, snow removal equipment, refrigerators, dish washers. Our landlords foot the cost for that stuff. We don't have to put roofs on our homes, get a new furnace, pay to fix the plumbing.

When you own a home all that stuff is on you and you need the money and time to handle it. People like you talk dumb people into home ownership and they end up house poor.
You are still making other people rich instead of enriching yourself. Every apartment I've lived in always end up raising the rent and you end up having to find another place that has a better deal. The money I spent living at apartments, gone.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
You are still making other people rich instead of enriching yourself. Every apartment I've lived in always end up raising the rent and you end up having to find another place that has a better deal. The money I spent living at apartments, gone.
Taxes and insurance also go up when you own a home. The interest you pay on a home with a mortgage is also gone. Unless you bought the house cash or paid it off incredibly fast you'll pay close in interest to what the home is worth when it's all said and done. The first half of the mortgage is mostly interest payments. Market crashes happen and people can end up upside down on their home. Areas can go into decline and property values can fall.

When I was a kid my parents lived in a good neighborhood and there house was worth a decent amount. As an adult when the older folks moved out and or died they were replaced by young knuckleheads. Their neighborhood went south and the property values fell. My parent's house isn't really worth jack shyt now. It's definitely not worth what it was when I was younger and the area was much better.
How often is people's plumbing and heating fukking up?? :what:
People that own houses will tell you there's always some project or problem that they need to work on. It takes money to work on that stuff. Many people don't have large amounts of money sitting around. I don't know if you've looked at statistics lately but many Americans can't even survive a $1000 emergency without going into debt to cover it. Most people are buying previously owned homes. Do you really think the owner is gonna fix everything wrong in the home before they well it?