The Show Must Go On: 2013-14 Los Angeles Lakers thread

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:beli: So if all these terrible contracts like Barfnani, Biedries, etc. can be traded, I'm sure the Lakers can find someone to trade for Artest.

Artest will be easier to trade since his contract is expiring but there's no point in doing it unless we get back good young defensive player.

Usually vets like Ron are seen as valuable, but Ron is so unstable he's not going to bring that veteran presence to the locker room that other vets would.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Fuk that

Lakers need to go over to europe and get a couple of players that u can get for cheap.

Pop and the spurs management go over there every year and find a couple of solid players who know they role plus have the fundamentals.

stop going after these has been players

Problem with going to Europe is that all our best scouts were thrown into the bushes.

And the main reason we pick up older players is because they're more likely to take smaller contracts. If not for our cap situation the Lakers could have locked up a bunch of younger guys. More than a few guys passed the Lakers over because they couldn't offer enough money.

Justin Slayer

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
what part of restricted free agency do you nikkas not grasp?

Indiana and Washington both will have cap room next summer. Both George and Wall are RFAs. Both teams will match any offers for these two guys.

why don't you nikkas BUY some 1st round picks and accumulate prospects for a change. The Lakers have only had FOUR first round draft picks since 2005 (Bynum, Farmar, Javaris "i got Arenas to bring guns in the locker room" Crittenton, and Tony Douglas (who was traded)).

Ya'll only got one draft pick period till 2016 (the 2014 1st rounder).. and then after that your 1st round in 2017 is in the hands of Phoenix too along with the 2015 one :bryan:

The nerve of a Wiz fan trying to teach us about success :dead:

What else has happened since 2005 smart guy?

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
The nerve of a Wiz fan trying to teach us about success :dead:

What else has happened since 2005 smart guy?

ALL I know is you don't have young talent and don't have means to get young talent because Mitch has tried to hit home runs and failed. :bryan:

Cap space is nice but it don't mean nothing when you target young players who are restricted and their teams have cap room to match any offer :sitdown:

Romey Rome

All Star
Daps
y not trade artest n meeks for batum n wes mathews pick up nate robinson for off the bench energy.
nash
bean
batum
LO
pau
BENCH
nate
wes
dorrell wright
jj hickson
dejuan blair or kaman

that would be ideal i got no idea how much they're willing to spend but mitch could do something right?

:to: right???????

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
picking up Nate would actually be a good idea, but he's going to be looking for more money after how well he played last post season.

PTBG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Y! Sources: The Lakers and free agent center Chris Kaman have mutual interest.
:blessed: Yea, we gonna suck badly on defense, but on offense :lawd:

PTBG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cali
I honestly hope we sign Wesley Johnson, he is a draft bust, but with the Pringles system, I think he can flourish on here, is a nice defender and most importantly is athletic. He would be a nice low risk, potentially high reward player with us.

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I honestly hope we sign Wesley Johnson, he is a draft bust, but with the Pringles system, I think he can flourish on here, is a nice defender and most importantly is athletic. He would be a nice low risk, potentially high reward player with us.

Yeah and he's practiced a good bit with Kobe in the offseason before IIRC.

RedBull

All Star
Daps
Reppin
On KRS One's nose, eating sunflower seeds.
BM1BcNoCMAEhifN.jpg:large

:to: :salute:

Wait. What?:what:

Word to Herb.... after years and years and years of hating this dude, I'm officially a fan. He ain't :flabbynsick: even when he is :flabbynsick:.

KingT33

LWO, Raider Nation, Univ of South Central Trojans
Daps
Reppin
A suburb of Los Angeles
Good Article on ESPN LA.

NBA -- After Dwight Howard, where do the Los Angeles Lakers go from here? - ESPN Los Angeles

Some quotes.

"During his brief meeting with Howard last Tuesday, D'Antoni said very little. When Howard told him he just didn't think he'd ever be comfortable playing in his system, the coach showed him how his statistics last season had been some of the best in his career, he actually touched the ball in the post far more than he realized, and reminded him that he'd led the league in rebounding.

Howard listened and tried to absorb the information. But it didn't jibe with his experiences. And besides, he'd already grown enamored with the idea of being coached by Houston's Kevin McHale, one of the best post players of all time.

McHale and the Rockets had explained how they'd tailor their offense to highlight Howard, and D'Antoni was trying to convince him he hadn't given this other way a real chance.

He hadn't, of course. The Lakers had studied his production in pick-and-roll sets in Orlando carefully -- before hiring D'Antoni -- and concluded that he had been an excellent player out of those sets with the Magic. But almost from the start, he seemed uninterested in and uninspired by the offense.

It was a constant source of tension within the team during the season. His Lakers teammates complained both publicly and privately, frustrated to no end. Eventually after the All-Star break, Howard made a better effort to get on board, but he never truly embraced it."

"That tension came back to the surface when Bryant and Nash met with Howard last Tuesday. Howard came at them hard, telling them how upset he was that they never publicly went to bat to for him while he was injured.

He felt like they'd disrespected the effort he'd given by coming back from back surgery so quickly. He felt like they had done little to mitigate the criticism he was hearing for his play.

Bryant and Nash were stunned. He'd never told them any of this before, or asked them to defend him publicly. They'd known he was injured and appreciated he came back to play many months before the initial time frame given following his back surgery, but the code among players is that if you don't say anything to your teammates about an injury, it's something you can handle on your own. If you need help, you tell your teammates and they close ranks around you, defending your honor to the public and on the court.

Howard never asked that of his teammates. He'd tried to play his way back into shape after back surgery, and soldiered on after he tore the labrum in his shoulder, even with a long-term contract on the line. But instead of getting credit for such acts, he'd heard constant criticism. And over the course of a long, trying season, that wore on him.

Why weren't people rushing to his defense? Why wasn't he getting credit for playing with so much pain? Was he supposed to ask for help? But if he did, wouldn't that be making excuses?

Looking back on it now, it's easy to see why it became such a toxic situation. But it's also easy to see, once again, how it could've been avoided, with better communication.

Bryant and Nash digested what he had to what he had to say, and told him they understood him better now. If they tried it all again next season, things would be different. He should come to them with these kind of issues, instead of letting them fester. They all would learn and grow from this.

But mostly Bryant told him that no matter where he went or what team he chose to play for, there would be issues to deal with. All he could do was "plant his roots and grow" someplace. All this change -- all this drama that had sunk his personal brand and his mood these past three years -- would be over once he made this decision and committed to a team and a city.

It was a very Zen-like message, one that Jackson would've been proud of if he'd heard it. But it's different when it's a contemporary delivering that kind of advice, and when it's a coach.

Howard listened. It was good advice. And in the end he actually followed it by heading to the place he believes he can grow best.

To Houston, that is."

:pacspit: Dwight Coward