The show “Dave” on FX is the latest example of how black culture is treated like a joke

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
In 2004 there wasn't nearly as many options as there are now for people to get content out.

A hit show on fx would be canceled status on a major broadcast network like NBC, ABC, CBS, or Fox. So the M.O. from jump is to appeal to as many people as possible. They took the money they knew what they were getting into.

16 years later there is a wide array of options they could use to get their content out while remaining true to their vision. Even if it means coming out of your own pocket.

But the problem with that is black people love to complain. If the "ghetto" version of Red and Meth came out on Netflix tomorrow, there would be 40 think pieces about how the show is toxic and a poor representation of black people by Monday. There would be a boycott by Thursday.

That's the dirty little secret. Black people love to tear other black people down. We didn't make Atlanta a success. You don't know how many black people I talked to that thought the show was corny. Donald Glover brought his audience from 30 Rock and community and made a "black" version of one of those shows, which raised his profile with the "hipster" crowd and allowed his music to take off. Childish Gambino been dope since Campfire, but we didnt show him any love until white people started fawning over Atlanta.

Literally NONE of this is true.

If you’ve ever seen 30 Rock or Community then you’d know that Atlanta is absolutely NOTHING like those shows.

Donald Glover as Childish Gambino was getting shytTED on early in his career by the white media publications while the black/urban publications showed him love. Pitchfork, the whitest Hipster media publication on EARTH infamously gave his debut album a 1.6 rating while The Source gave him 4 Mics and XXL gave him XL. His second album again got shytted on by Cacs while The Source, XXL, and HipHopDx all gave him love and support.

Atlanta was, and has been touted as authentic and entertaining by BLACK critics since its inception

Welcome to ‘Atlanta’

BLACK writer

This Week’s Atlanta Offered a Sharp Critique of Our Culture of P.C. Outrage

BLACK writer

‘Atlanta’ is what happens when black creatives get a bigger audience

BLACK writer

FX’s “Atlanta” brings nuanced voice to the city’s Black spaces

BLACK writer

This whole “Black people only support what white people tell us to” narrative is STEEPED in self hatred, ignorance, and downright stupidity. Donald Glover himself took the stage when he won the Golden Globe and specifically thanked all the “BLACK FOLKS” in the city of Atlanta who supported the show. Black audiences want authenticity, and where we find it we will support it. Stop with all this bullshyt “we don’t do for our people” bullshyt because it does nothing but allow the Lil dikky’s of the world an excuse for their mediocrity and privilege

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CT/North-east Caribbean American Crew

If you’ve ever seen 30 Rock or Community then you’d know that Atlanta is absolutely NOTHING like those shows.

Donald Glover as Childish Gambino was getting shytTED on early in his career by the white media publications while the black/urban publications showed him love. Pitchfork, the whitest Hipster media publication on EARTH infamously gave his debut album a 1.6 rating while The Source gave him 4 Mics and XXL gave him XL. His second album again got shytted on by Cacs while The Source, XXL, and HipHopDx all gave him love and support.

Atlanta was, and has been touted as authentic and entertaining by BLACK critics since its inception

Welcome to ‘Atlanta’

BLACK writer

BLACK writer

BLACK writer

BLACK writer

This whole “Black people only support what white people tell us to” narrative is STEEPED in self hatred, ignorance, and downright stupidity. Donald Glover himself took the stage when he won the Golden Globe and specifically thanked all the “BLACK FOLKS” in the city of Atlanta who supported the show. Black audiences want authenticity, and where we find it we will support it. Stop with all this bullshyt “we don’t do for our people” bullshyt because it does nothing but allow the Lil dikky’s of the world an excuse for their mediocrity and privilege

200.gif

HellRell804

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Welcome to ‘Atlanta’

BLACK writer

BLACK writer

BLACK writer

BLACK writer

Black writers in white publications.

The barbershop episode of Atlanta was straight like a tracy Jordan episode of 30 Rock.

The invisible car my nikka?

What I'm saying isn't even a stretch because the nikka actually wrote for 30 rock, it was his first job.

Black nerds love Atlanta but the praise isn't as universal as you're pretending it is.

You're acting like FX is some massive network people are forced to watch. Like Dave is on NBC at 8:30 in prime time. It's one of a million cable networks, If the show is wack itll die.

Like I said before, any person with a half a billion views and a decent pitch can get a tv show.

What popular black artist with a tv show idea did lil dikky take a spot from?

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
I really wanna know how someone like Redman doesn't get this chance, but dikky does?

Or hell, an Odd Future type?

Outkast/Goodie mobb affiliate?

He got this chance cuz he's white and jewish, n this ish is like fire in my throat.
You do know Taco is on the show right?

and Dave is not on FX. It's on the other channel they have, FXX. The only show worth a damn on FXX besides Dave is It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

EDIT: And Archer. Besides that, it's just a spot where they show movies and throwback Simpsons episodes

Last edited:

kwazzy100

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Byron Allen can’t even get cable deals cuz he’s company is 100% black owned

Doesn't he own the weather channel? I won't say "He should settle for that only", but I won't expect him, or any independent business man to go head-to-toe with Disney, Warner Bros, Fox, and Universal.

10bandz

RIP to the GOAT
Supporter
Daps
Doesn't he own the weather channel? I won't say "He should settle for that only", but I won't expect him, or any independent business man to go head-to-toe with Disney, Warner Bros, Fox, and Universal.

he recently bought the weather channel but he has several smaller channels that cable companies have refused to carry and were even quoted saying they didn’t wanna help create another Bob Johnson. That’s why Byron bought the Weather Channel, he’s realizing he’s gonna have to purchase existing big networks to force his way into the cable game.

kwazzy100

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
he recently bought the weather channel but he has several smaller channels that cable companies have refused to carry and were even quoted saying they didn’t wanna help create another Bob Johnson. That’s why Byron bought the Weather Channel, he’s realizing he’s gonna have to purchase existing big networks to force his way into the cable game.

If he was white/Jew, I could defiantly see he would had a much easier time having a bigger production company In a short span.
If he continues to progress though, this is a start. I wouldn't discredit the man just yet.