The Reason that "Ali" was a boring ass mess was becuz of Will Smith

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ali was cringe worthy....The only thing that was relevant was Jamie Foxx's character. He could've chose a director that could a put a movie together better than that. Spike is notorious for losing his way towards the end of the movie and throwing together at the end.

Will is not that down. After seeing how he allows his kids to conduct themselves, is anyone really surprised that about Will?

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I thought it was good :yeshrug:

However, maybe its the fact that its more a collage of "great scenes" thrown together to make a movie. The flow wasnt there, but it was solid.

It should have been great so thats why it gets hate.

But then again doesnt that sum up Will Smith's career?

This was probably his most challenging role.....and even that was scaled back. Ali WAS viewed as a BAD GUY by cac media. However, he was able to pull it off with a flair like no other. He was real and didnt give a fukk what anyone thought.

Will Smith passed on The Matrix. He passed on Django Unchained (now we can argue about whether the character was the "lead" or if it just fit the spaghetti western narrative another time)

Think back to all of Will's movies. What was a "great film"

Hancock? I was hyped as hell for this movie..... "A black superhero who dont give a fukk?" Ultimately it was a letdown.

I Am Legend? I thought Will did a a damn good job acting. But again....the movie should have been much better.

Pursuit of Happyness? Solid, but too lifetimeish for me. It was the 80s Reagan era and the shyt was just too light hearted.

I, Robot? Average at best

and so on and and so on.

He's got talent. He's just too comfortable as an actor though. He and his team want to make movies that bring in the most cash instead of having the most playback.

I aint knocking him cause he's getting paid. But Will should be doing more as an actor.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I thought it was good :yeshrug:

However, maybe its the fact that its more a collage of "great scenes" thrown together to make a movie. The flow wasnt there, but it was solid.

It should have been great so thats why it gets hate.

But then again doesnt that sum up Will Smith's career?

This was probably his most challenging role.....and even that was scaled back. Ali WAS viewed as a BAD GUY by cac media. However, he was able to pull it off with a flair like no other. He was real and didnt give a fukk what anyone thought.

Will Smith passed on The Matrix. He passed on Django Unchained (now we can argue about whether the character was the "lead" or if it just fit the spaghetti western narrative another time)

Think back to all of Will's movies. What was a "great film"

Hancock? I was hyped as hell for this movie..... "A black superhero who dont give a fukk?" Ultimately it was a letdown.

I Am Legend? I thought Will did a a damn good job acting. But again....the movie should have been much better.

Pursuit of Happyness? Solid, but too lifetimeish for me. It was the 80s Reagan era and the shyt was just too light hearted.

I, Robot? Average at best

and so on and and so on.

He's got talent. He's just too comfortable as an actor though. He and his team want to make movies that bring in the most cash instead of having the most playback.

I aint knocking him cause he's getting paid. But Will should be doing more as an actor.
I, Robot will always be dope as fukk to me :manny: I'm kind of a sucker for scifi tho

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City

I thought Will did good in "Ali" the problem I have with the film is the script and Michael Mann. It should of been Spike Lee so we can get Ali's FULL life story. You know why "Ray" worked? We saw the Full Life from childhood on. They didn't show his childhood, they didn't show him starting to box for the 1st time. They just fast forward to him already boxing. Also why do we need to see "The Rumble in the Jungle" as the main focus of the film when we just got the documentary 4 years before that. So did Will do good? Yes. Did he embody Ali's swag? Sure. But there were other issues with the movie looking back that I felt they could of done a better job on. God I wish Spike got to Direct it with Will and the same cast. I like Michael Mann but not on this film.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
a movie made about ali should have surpass the budget:snoop:

Not really since when does America support Black Historical films? "Malcolm X" flopped, "Ray" didn't do that great either. "The Color Purple" with Speilberg behind it could gross 100 Million. "Amistad" and "Rosewood" both flopped. Ali did respectable numbers when you look at the box office for Black Historical Figures or Black historical films.