The PS Vita Thread

AJW

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Berkshire, England
Finally finished Uncharted: GA - great game. Just as good as the PS3 versions.

Now making my way on to Gravity Rush. Played through about 4 levels now and not really feeling it. Never been an anime guy but not doubting it's a good game. Will give it time to grow on me.

cfountain

Wavy Like A Lake
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
Dragon's Crown preview
characterselectionjpgm1x8j.jpg

When you begin the tale – which is meant to be replayed and re-experienced, mind you – you’re greeted with one of the most clever character-select screens you’ll probably ever see. Seated at a circular table in a bustling medieval tavern are our six characters, clearly familiar with one another and feasting on some good food and ale as they figure out their next move. They’re all chasing the same goal, hence the cooperative nature of the game that allows up to four adventurers to play at one time.

Once you select your hero, you’re met with a wonderfully voice-acted intro, and you can then move out into the town itself, one ripped out of the likes of Zelda II and Faxanadu, but with staggeringly gorgeous graphics replacing the 8-bit look those games took advantage of. You can speak with the townsfolk, though most won’t have much to say at the outset, and you can even mess with them, punching a basket of apples out of a merchant’s hands or some jugs of water out of a townsperson’s grasp. Naturally, there’s much to see in the town, not only in terms of locales to visit – shops, guilds and the like – but in terms of gorgeous vistas in the background and other aesthetical sights to behold.
When you decide to undertake a quest, you can head out to the world map, another drop-dead beautiful piece of scenery to navigate. Stages can be revisited (in fact, they should be revisited often, but more on that later), though there is a sort of linear progression through the narrative, accompanied, of course, by optional quests. However, if you’re starting the game with a new character you’re unfamiliar with, you’ll be treated to an extremely thorough tutorial that will familiarize you with the moveset and skills of the class in question. These can be skipped, but you’d be wise not to: Dragon’s Crown is no leisurely walk through the park.

Dragon’s Crown plays much like the many videos that have been released suggest: with a heavy emphasis on action, and a field of depth, too, requiring tactics beyond merely button-mashing, jumping, and the like. In fact, Dragon’s Crown is pretty tough, especially if you’re trying to hone a high score or simply get through a stage quickly to net some fresh loot. Without using a hodgepodge of techniques and weapons, the AI will make quick work of you. Making matters more complicated is the fact that enemies scale with you – much like the Lunar RPGs from the ‘90s – so no amount of grinding will make the game inherently easier for you to deal with. Bad guys will have more health as you get stronger, and will grow in number the more powerful you get, too. With each level ending with a powerful (and beautifully-drawn) boss, this very fact will give you pause the further you get into the game.

While I experimented with virtually every class – the Fighter uses brute force and the Sorceress relies on spells and the ability to replenish her own lost MP -- I spent a majority of my time on both PS3 and Vita with the Elf, a character with moderate melee strength and exceptional skill with a bow. The thing about the Elf, however, is that you have to be careful with how you use her bow, as her quill only holds a finite amount of arrows. With no guarantees that you’ll find ammo replenishment on your journey, the best way to use her is with quick kicks, juggling your foes mercilessly before following-up with aerial arrow strikes to lay the killing blow. If you run out of arrows, you’ll be out of luck to launch missiles from afar, so balance is truly the key with the Elf. With only melee strikes to guide her and supplement her specialty, you’ll quickly leave yourself at a severe disadvantage.
Mounts can also be found on various stages. Not every creature is a mount, of course, but if, say, a gigantic bird attacks you and you fell it, you will have an opportunity to get on its back and use it as a brand-new temporary weapon. Some of these mounts have special skills like breathing fire; others are more simplistic. I found the whole mount system interesting not only in terms of giving you exceptionally powerful ways to attack your enemies, but as damage sponges that will keep you safe from attack… that is, of course, until the mount takes enough damage and dies, leaving you on your own once more.

Character movement is mapped to the left analog stick on both Vita and PS3, and since the directional pad is itself used to navigate your quick-select inventory, there’s unfortunately no way to change this. However, even for old-schoolers like me that immediately reach for the d-pad in games like this, the analog stick works great, and falling back on the d-pad for item selection simply makes a great deal of sense. The right analog stick, on the other hand (get it?), is used to control an independent cursor (much like in the upcoming PS3-exclusive Puppeteer) that allows you to identify points of interest in the environment.

What use is such a skill? It’s simple: every character in the game has a strange, hooded companion following them around with a gigantic sack full of treasure and loot. This is Dragon’s Crown’s humorous way of explaining how characters searching for endless riches can possibly hold everything they find, and these non-playable additions to your party can be directed towards specific areas to find even more loot while you’re fending off foes.
But what of the statistical minutiae of Dragon’s Crown? What, exactly, makes this game an RPG? Crown totes plenty of RPG features, starting first and foremost with tried-and-true character stats. In addition to health and magic points, heroes have stats tied to Strength, Constitution, Dexterity, Intelligence, Magical Resistance, and Luck. As you become more powerful, find better items, equipment, and gear and get deeper into the game, these numbers will obviously increase.

Furthering the RPG feel (while also giving you plenty of reasons to replay old stages) is Crown’s scoring and appraisal systems. Your performance on various stages will net you a score, which is then translated through an algorithm to give you what are, in essence, experience points. Your score is basically modified to equate to experience based on your performance on that stage. The better you play, the higher your score and the more experience you earn.

Likewise, any loot you found on the stage will be given rankings, but the loot will remain totally ambiguous until you pay to have it appraised. So, if you get some loot with a common ranking, you may not want to pay to get it appraised. Then again, if you get a rare piece of equipment, it’s absolutely worth using some of your hard-earned currency to figure out exactly what it is. It may not always pan out when you do, but part of the reason Dragon’s Crown purports itself to be so replayable is, in fact, the need for more loot and the risk of getting that loot appraised.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05...-ps3-deserves?abthid=5188a6c82dbde94043000044
I can't wait for this:noah: and Muramasa next month.

cfountain

Wavy Like A Lake
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
C-Wars(an indie) got the funds and is coming to the Vita.

I really want it because it looks just like Megaman Battle Network:krs:

Megaman has caught the axe and even if it comes back I doubt they'll visit the Battle Network and Star Force series again:sadbron:. I'll take anything that will scratch the itch:laugh:.

just been playing more Soul Sacrifice lately. Ys Seven and Treasure of Montezuma Blitz too. I'm almost at 80 hours:dead:

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Make sure you advance the relationship with Marie(girl in the Velvet Room) if you want to get the true ending. its probably best to look at some guides if you want to go for it.

oh yeah, I didnt know they added another ending if you max out a certain characters social link. I watched it on youtube and its creepy:merchant:

Say breh, what happens if you enter into more than one relationship? Does that affect the storyline, endings or S-Links at all? :ld:

Czerka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Say breh, what happens if you enter into more than one relationship? Does that affect the storyline, endings or S-Links at all? :ld:

doesnt affect anything substantive or the ending, but apparently it does change the events of a certain day......

cfountain

Wavy Like A Lake
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
took it from somewhere else. there is still hope for you guys that didnt get anything yet.
Don't know if anyone still cares about this (well people who referred me probably do), but I e-mailed Playstation support regarding the PS Vita referral program and they responded with the following:

"If you have "Successful - Pending" referrals currently these will be validated and rewards will be sent within 6 weeks after 5/10/2013"

So hopefully the people who haven't received their $20 SEN credit yet due to their referral not being processed, will soon enough!

EDIT: I just checked the site again and they're all "Unsuccessful" now:dead:
sorry guys:to:

AJW

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Berkshire, England
Alright lads, I've had a Vita for a few weeks now and I'm loving it - been feasting well on Uncharted: GA and Gravity Rush thanks to Sony and Playstation Plus.

I haven't really fully explored all the capabilities of this little beauty yet - only downloaded a few apps like YouTube (picture is beautiful on that screen, by the way). Could one of you cats let me know what apps I should be down loading and any other features I should be making the most of?

Also could someone wet my appetite and let me know what titles we've got to look forward to, and the plans for how the Vita will work will PS4.

Cheers lads. :salute:

cfountain

Wavy Like A Lake
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
Alright lads, I've had a Vita for a few weeks now and I'm loving it - been feasting well on Uncharted: GA and Gravity Rush thanks to Sony and Playstation Plus.

I haven't really fully explored all the capabilities of this little beauty yet - only downloaded a few apps like YouTube (picture is beautiful on that screen, by the way). Could one of you cats let me know what apps I should be down loading and any other features I should be making the most of?

Also could someone wet my appetite and let me know what titles we've got to look forward to, and the plans for how the Vita will work will PS4.

Cheers lads. :salute:
To cop this year coming up:
Muramasa Rebirth
Dragon's Crown
Killzone: Mercenary
Tearaway
Ys: Memories of Celceta(try out Ys Seven for the PSP to get an idea of it)
Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate

Rain

👀
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
took it from somewhere else. there is still hope for you guys that didnt get anything yet.

EDIT: I just checked the site again and they're all "Unsuccessful" now:dead:
sorry guys:to:

dawson-crying-o.gif

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
just effects Valentine's day.

Persona 3 Portable was great how it happened tho:laugh:

When December rolled around and Nanako "dies" while you're visiting in the hospital, it skipped straight to March and the end of the game after the decisions I made. :damn:

I'm assuming that's not the "true" ending.