The Peopling of Africa

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Ecological collapse was common in ancient times usually due to human activity and sustainability.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
I've been doing research on the Fulani conquest of Illorin and its effect on Cuba. The collapse of the Oyo Empire flooded the Caribbean with Yoruba-speakers. These Yoruba-speakers were often soldiers who had been fighting Fulani cavalrymen or other Yoruba clans.

Logically, this thread should expand to speak of how Africans came to populate parts of the Americas.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
Highlights from the book, West African Warfare in Bahia and Cuba: Soldier Slaves in the Atlantic World

• A power struggle within the Yoruba-speaking Oyo Empire caused the state to begin collapsing at the end of the 18th century.
  • The underlying weakness of the state lay between its Alaafin (emperor) and other statesmen/generals in the Empire. The Alaafin was rendered impotent over time. Also, a decrease in the effectiveness of the army, the slave trade and an increase of foreign/unfree populations in the Empire led to decay.
  • The Empire began to lose control in territories such as Borgu (now in Northern Benin?). They also were heavily defeated by the Nupe Kingdom in 1791.
  • Provinces such as Egba, Ilorin and Ekiti created instability in the empire just prior to its disintegration.
  • The death-knell of course was the conquest of Ilorin by the Sokoto Caliphate, aided by the treacherous Yoruba general, Afonja.
  • The disintegration of Oyo by internal and external forces ripped apart the Yoruba-speaking world and made it vulnerable to slave raiders who sought to ship millions of Yoruba across the Atlantic.

oyo_empire.gif

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Just started reading this and already came across some juicy parts.
Stories of Migration and State Formation in Yorubaland: A Re-assessment of Yoruba Myth and Legend of Creation

Anyways the author(who is Yoruba himself) has noted the similarities between Yoruba and ancient Egyptian religious custom, cultural customs, divine leadership, polygamy, rituals, body scarification. Which I was aware of. But what so far really got my interest is when he claims many traditional Yoruba claim Egypt as their original homeland.

I want actual Nigerian thoughts on that part... @MansaMusa @Don Drogo @Kitsch @Hiphoplives4eva

I have heard that the Yoruba MAY have been apart of a population that migrated from Egypt after the Hyksos invaded, but I still doubt Ancient Egypt, and see Nubia as more as a possibility than Egypt.

I still think this should not be dismissed, because I continue to hear that Yoruba origins and the origins of Yorubaland is still a hot topic. And I agree because with most coastal West Africans like the Yoruba there is big historical gap. For example Yourbaland was not settled until the 7th century BC. Now of course they could have most likely migrated from the Sahel/Sahara like some West Africans like the Sonnike, but Yoruba oral traditions do not point towards that location. They always say "east." Again going by what the Yorubas say.

Now... If repeat IF the Yoruba did migrate from Nubia/Sudan I can see Lake Chad acting as a refugee/stop.
lake-chad.jpg

Also the Yoruba Orisha Child of Obatala.
Ife3.jpg

Is quite similar looking to the Egyptian god Bes.
53086299_83e40aa788.jpg

But of course this can be due to sharing a common culture from the green Sahara.

Again the people I tagged, thoughts?

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
Just started reading this and already came across some juicy parts.
Stories of Migration and State Formation in Yorubaland: A Re-assessment of Yoruba Myth and Legend of Creation

Anyways the author(who is Yoruba himself) has noted the similarities between Yoruba and ancient Egyptian religious custom, cultural customs, divine leadership, polygamy, rituals, body scarification. Which I was aware of. But what so far really got my interest is when he claims many traditional Yoruba claim Egypt as their original homeland.

I want actual Nigerian thoughts on that part... @MansaMusa @Don Drogo @Kitsch @Hiphoplives4eva

I have heard that the Yoruba MAY have been apart of a population that migrated from Egypt after the Hyksos invaded, but I still doubt Ancient Egypt, and see Nubia as more as a possibility than Egypt.

I still think this should not be dismissed, because I continue to hear that Yoruba origins and the origins of Yorubaland is still a hot topic. And I agree because with most coastal West Africans like the Yoruba there is big historical gap. For example Yourbaland was not settled until the 7th century BC. Now of course they could have most likely migrated from the Sahel/Sahara like some West Africans like the Sonnike, but Yoruba oral traditions do not point towards that location. They always say "east." Again going by what the Yorubas say.

Now... If repeat IF the Yoruba did migrate from Nubia/Sudan I can see Lake Chad acting as a refugee/stop.
lake-chad.jpg

Also the Yoruba Orisha Child of Obatala.
Ife3.jpg

Is quite similar looking to the Egyptian god Bes.
53086299_83e40aa788.jpg

But of course this can be due to sharing a common culture from the green Sahara.

Again the people I tagged, thoughts?

Yorubas come out of the same migration which populated coastal West Africa. It was discussed earlier in the thread.

Increasingly, Nigerians are resorting to Biblical or Egyptian origins due to a lack of supported indigenous scholarship/good education system in Nigeria.

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
I wouldn't care the Igbo Jewish nonsense to Yoruba. Because similarities of culture, religion, divine rule and other customs have been noted between Nile Valley cultures and the Yoruba. The same can not be said for the Igbos and Jews. And then we have Obatala and Bes.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
I wouldn't care the Igbo Jewish nonsense to Yoruba. Because similarities of culture, religion, divine rule and other customs have been noted between Nile Valley cultures and the Yoruba. The same can not be said for the Igbos and Jews. And then we have Obatala and Bes.

What are some similarities? Moreover, can these similarities just be cultural coincidences? There are a lot of ethnic groups/cultures that have existed throughout human history, so coincidences can and have occurred.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
What are some similarities? Moreover, can these similarities just be cultural coincidences? There are a lot of ethnic groups/cultures that have existed throughout human history, so coincidences can and have occurred.

Saying "coincidence" is just a big reach especially in the way your explaining it. A BETTER counter would be shared cultural event during the green Sahara like with most Africans.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
@KidStranglehold - What was the divination of the Ancient Egyptian religion? The Yoruba, Ewe and Igbo share roughly the same divination system based on the 'Principle of 16'. If the Egyptians don't share this, I highly doubt that they're related to the Yoruba.

No ones saying the two are related. Hell especially not me. IF they did come from East they would have been one of the MANY people on the Nile Valley. Ancient Egyptans themselves weren't monolithic. From what I got from the article is that both AE and Yorubas believe in a one true deity that created the universe but believe in "local gods."

The article explains it better than me. I suggest reading the part on the Ancient Egyptians.