The Peopling of Africa

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
I've also heard that the people of the Nok were descendants of people from the Nile Valley but I don't know how true that is. Do you know any Nigerians(scholars) who even take the Yoruba/Nile Valley connection seriously? Or is it just a small bunch of Yoruba hoteps(no offense).

I heard something similar to that like Yorubas come from the Middle East which is doubtful. The article I linked to @Poitier states that the "East" many Yorubas refer to may actually be Nubia.

I don't believe anyone in the Ibadan School of History (the premier Nigerian school of historical study) believes it.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Northeastern Somalia/Djibouti/Eritrea was Punt. Don't fall for the okie dokie.

Nope, there were no pygmies that would have been abundant for the Egyptians to import from that region, among other minerals not native there. Punt was a geographical term more expansive than the horn.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
My new theory is that Nilo-Saharans and Niger-Kordofanians were once part of a single phylum. The shrinking of the Sahara pushed one group towards the east (Nilo-Saharans) and Niger-Kordofanians South.

Nilo-Saharans bumped into Afro-Asiatics who were moving up the Nile and thus created Nile cultures such as Ancient Egypt. Niger-Kordofanians stayed in the Sahel zone until they learned how to grow rice and yam. After doing so, they pushed West African pygmies out of the region and quickly ran it over. Thoughts?

@KidStranglehold

I have always wonder if there was a connection to the Dinka people in the East and the Mandinka people in the West.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
I have always wonder if there was a connection to the Dinka people in the East and the Mandinka people in the West.

Highly doubtful. Genetics does not show this. Along with extremely different culture. I think what you're looking for is Nilo-Saharan speakers in the SAHARA/Sahel and not NILOTIC Nilo-Saharan speakers like the Dinka. Nilo-Saharan speakers are not monolithic.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Highly doubtful. Genetics does not show this. Along with extremely different culture. I think what you're looking for is Nilo-Saharan speakers in the SAHARA/Sahel and not NILOTIC Nilo-Saharan speakers like the Dinka. Nilo-Saharan speakers are not monolithic.

Maybe not, but the one thing that I have noticed about the Dinka and Mandinka is that they seem to be much, much taller on average than most of the other ethnic groups.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I think the "DiNka" is merely a coincidence because Mandinka are also called Mandingo

I think that they are actually referred to as Malinke (as in Mali), but Mandinka/Mandingo are used interchangeably to reference Mande people. Actually, I am not even sure where Mandingo comes from.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Maybe not, but the one thing that I have noticed about the Dinka and Mandinka is that they seem to be much, much taller on average than most of the other ethnic groups.

A lot of tall groups in Africa... Mandinka genetics/admixture, culture, language family, phenotype and indigenous religious customs show a big distance.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I think that they are actually referred to as Malinke (as in Mali), but Mandinka/Mandingo are used interchangeably to reference Mande people. Actually, I am not even sure where Mandingo comes from.
Naw. Mande is the the ethnic group/family Mandinka/Mandingo are tribes within the Mande Family. Like my tribe is a Mande tribe and Mandingo/Mandinka is a different tribe from mine. Mandingo and the Vai are the tribes there were predominately muslim.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Naw. Mande is the the ethnic group/family Mandinka/Mandingo are tribes within the Mande Family. Like my tribe is a Mande tribe and Mandingo/Mandinka is a different tribe from mine. Mandingo and the Vai are the tribes there were predominately muslim.

Did you mean Mende?

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
No.

mende is a tribe.

Im saying my tribe is part of the Mande family/ethnic group.

The hirearchy is Ethnic Group > Tribe > Clan.

Yeah. I got that part, but you wrote that your tribe is Mande. That is why I asked if you meant Mende.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Yeah. I got that part, but you wrote that your tribe is Mande. That is why I asked if you meant Mende.
Nah.

And then I dont even think The Mande ethnic group title is used socially in societies i think its only used when studying the history and languages. Tribe is essentially used in the sense we think ethnic group is used.

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I hope with better tech in the future we can reconstruct some of these sites like Ile Ife better. The scope of the city is almost unbelievable.

Has anyone heard the theory that ife was hit with a plague?

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
I hope with better tech in the future we can reconstruct some of these sites like Ile Ife better. The scope of the city is almost unbelievable.

Has anyone heard the theory that ife was hit with a plague?

I've heard the theory. What's the context for it? Similar to the Mayans, Yoruba centres of power shifted throughout the century. From Ife to Oyo to Ibadan/Ijebu Yoruba clans.