The Peopling of Africa

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
I also realize that.....

Yam = territory West of Egypt
Punt = what is current day East Africa

Neither of these were kingdoms but vast stretches of territory with a variety of people. Why do I think that?

Pygmies don't come from Eritrea but were plentiful and worshipped as an import in Dynastic Egypt usually from Punt. Obviously, the source for them would have been the Great Lakes. The Baboons testing matching Eritrea. The Mountains of The Moon and the cooper industry in Uganda. Antimony being exported from Punt being only found in Mozambique. And to top it off, Punt is an anglicized version of the word Pwani which is Swahili. Would explain why they have never found an actual civilization with distinct artifacts.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
So how do you picture the peoples who became "Bantu" migration into Cameroon/Nigeria? I don't buy that as their ancestral homeland, just the place where they gained a formative identity/culture.

I'm just saying since I've been doing some more research the two migrations wouldn't be mutually exclusive like Bantu migrating from west central Africa. We have clear iron technology coming from southwest Africa. The problem is that Africa is looked at through narrow lens. Any "Bantu" marker found south has to be due to the Bantu migration. There could have been multiple migrations one from southwest Africa and one POSSIBLY from the Nile.

What will give us our full answers is autosomal DNA tests on Ancient Egyptian remains. It will solve everything.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
@Poitier

I have something that I know will interesting. Not Bantu related but it details the possibility of Yorubas migrating from the area of Nubia.
MIGRATION AND THE YORùBá MYTH OF ORIGIN

Before I was doing some research of Yorubas claims that they come from the Nile Valley. Before I did not think much of it but I then started to see some good info.

@MansaMusa Have you ever heard of Yoruba claim of coming from the Nile Valley. I notice many West Africans especially those of the coastal region seem to be recent there. More recent than when the desert started to dry.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
While I think Chad was part of the territory, it was also very clearly land directly West of Egypt (Libya) where they found all those old paintings and oasis for rituals most likely during the wet phase. Probably went as far as Niger tbh.

This is really good on the subject IMO: 'Reconsidering the Location of Yam', Journal of the American Research Center in Egypt 48 (2012), 1-22

I always heard Chad. Libya was called something different by the Ancient Egyptians. More importantly it was easier to get to Libya by the Ancient Egyptians than Yam.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
I always heard Chad. Libya was called something different by the Ancient Egyptians. More importantly it was easier to get to Libya by the Ancient Egyptians than Yam.

Ancient Libya as in dynastic times would've been different than Libya during the Green Sahara, no? Also should be noted that the tools and art work found in Chad is found in Niger, Libya, Sudan around the time of the Wet Sahara.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Ancient Libya as in dynastic times would've been different than Libya during the Green Sahara, no? Also should be noted that the tools and art work found in Chad is found in Niger, Libya, Sudan around the time of the Wet Sahara.

But Yam was during the dynastic period. Or at least early.

And as for the last sentence. Agreed.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
@Poitier

I have something that I know will interesting. Not Bantu related but it details the possibility of Yorubas migrating from the area of Nubia.
MIGRATION AND THE YORùBá MYTH OF ORIGIN

Before I was doing some research of Yorubas claims that they come from the Nile Valley. Before I did not think much of it but I then started to see some good info.

@MansaMusa Have you ever heard of Yoruba claim of coming from the Nile Valley. I notice many West Africans especially those of the coastal region seem to be recent there. More recent than when the desert started to dry.

I've heard that claim though I want to believe the Yoruba (among other Southern Nigerians) are off shoots of the Nok Civilization. I've also heard that the heart of Yoruba civilization, Ife, was settled by a half-Iraqi Prince.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
I'm just saying since I've been doing some more research the two migrations wouldn't be mutually exclusive like Bantu migrating from west central Africa. We have clear iron technology coming from southwest Africa. The problem is that Africa is looked at through narrow lens. Any "Bantu" marker found south has to be due to the Bantu migration. There could have been multiple migrations one from southwest Africa and one POSSIBLY from the Nile.

What will give us our full answers is autosomal DNA tests on Ancient Egyptian remains. It will solve everything.

I'm trying to wrap my head around something.

What came first? Bantu migration or Nok iron civilization? I thought for some reason that the Nok were the ones that were the ancestors to the Bantu or transmitted iron working to them via cultural/technological osmosis.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
I'm trying to wrap my head around something.

What came first? Bantu migration or Nok iron civilization? I thought for some reason that the Nok were the ones that were the ancestors to the Bantu or transmitted iron working to them via cultural/technological osmosis.

Bantu migration came first around 3,000 BC I believe and I doubt the Nok gave them iron as iron was wide-spread in West Africa. Unlike other regions of the world West Africa entered the iron age independently.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
I've heard that claim though I want to believe the Yoruba (among other Southern Nigerians) are off shoots of the Nok Civilization. I've also heard that the heart of Yoruba civilization, Ife, was settled by a half-Iraqi Prince.

I've also heard that the people of the Nok were descendants of people from the Nile Valley but I don't know how true that is. Do you know any Nigerians(scholars) who even take the Yoruba/Nile Valley connection seriously? Or is it just a small bunch of Yoruba hoteps(no offense).

I heard something similar to that like Yorubas come from the Middle East which is doubtful. The article I linked to @Poitier states that the "East" many Yorubas refer to may actually be Nubia.