The Penguin - HBO Max The Batman Spinoff

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
I think the problem with the no batman thing is that he’s supposed to be an ever present threat to criminals, that was his whole spiel in the beginning of the movie but this show really doesn’t ever talk about the vigilantism or super criminals. I understand they want to make it grounded but to completely ignore it feels like batman is on vacation

Otherwise teh show is really good its just hard to pretend it Gotham
There is only one Batman in a massive city that was fukked with crime BEFORE the flooding, so a Batman that got beat half to death with an Alfred that is laid up in Intensive is probably not going to be hitting the streets like that a WEEK later when The Penguin starts:

Expecting Batman to be in every episode, or in even any of them is very wishful thinking.

Cuban Pete

Aka 305DeadCounty
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY MONOPOLY
I think the problem with the no batman thing is that he’s supposed to be an ever present threat to criminals, that was his whole spiel in the beginning of the movie but this show really doesn’t ever talk about the vigilantism or super criminals. I understand they want to make it grounded but to completely ignore it feels like batman is on vacation

Nah not really imo, Gotham criminality works in seasons. We just had a Super Bowl with The Riddler and the whole city (slums) is flooded. Batman officially changed his modus operandi at the end of the last film to trying to build good will with the city, so hes on that right now.

The Falcone crime family is reeling but this is their off season, theyre rebuilding and Oz is at the center of everything on that front. Batman comics are like that, after some wild event goes down the city will be "quiet" anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months, maybe even a whole year... but as you can see its not that quiet at all, shyt is bubbling

Lets not forget that Riddler and Joker are parlaying in Arkham right now, so we have CONFIRMED 3 of Bats top opps in-verse right now, and Im feeling like Penguin might even be the archnemesis this go around right next to the clown (as he should)

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
There is only one Batman in a massive city that was fukked with crime BEFORE the flooding, so a Batman that got beat half to death with an Alfred that is laid up in Intensive is probably not going to be hitting the streets like that a WEEK later when The Penguin starts:

Expecting Batman to be in every episode, or in even any of them is very wishful thinking.

Thats not what i said though

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
Thats not what i said though
Outside of the Riddler, what other Super Villain is present in Gotham at this point and time? Like you said, this is a grounded universe and you are not having weirdos in costumes and paint terrorize the streets en masse, at least right now.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Outside of the Riddler, what other Super Villain is present in Gotham at this point and time? Like you said, this is a grounded universe and you are not having weirdos in costumes and paint terrorize the streets en masse, at least right now.

My complaints about it probably go about as deep as a few easter eggs

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Im not into white women like that, but Sofia murdered that yellow dress.

Show is great, but realy makes me miss The Batman. As much as I like Snyders version, The Batman was a great ass movie. One of the few I’ve watched more than once recently.

Episode was great. I could’ve used more Penguin or them showing more of the Rogue of Villains, but wasn’t mad of them taking a small break from Colin for an episode. I hope Sofia lives too, actress is killing it

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO

Are you aware of the time line of this series.

This occurs right after bats rides off on the batcycle. At the very end of:
The Batman

Plus this series is grounded in reality.

Gotham is an urban landscape.
Plus batman thwarted the Falcone's and maroni is jailed.
Batman just jailed. What would be his inaugural criminal. Where Batman has not had repeat incidents with that level of criminality consistently. To even know of the threat of multiple high level rogues. Plus has not had any repeat criminals. Of rhe magnitude of the riddler.
After his largest foray into being a caped vigilante.

This is the Batman year one.
Sohh Batman has no experience. To even know how or what to follow up on. As Batman has already saved Gotham from all of its largest organized criminal threats. Plus took out what is a terrorist. That has not escaped. To create repeat offenses to be called a supervillain just yet.
This is Batman year one. Where Bruce is learning day by day. Plus dealing with grief and recovery of his patriarch and role model structure in Alfred as well.
You moving way to forward. When Batman actually eliminated.
all the largest criminal threats to gotham. Plus rode off into the sunset.
If you just saved the city.
Plus was a billionaire. Who eliminated all the major mob bosses. As well as this domestic terrorist. Who flooded Gotham.

Reeling from a disaster. I doubt Batman would be around.

shyt in real reality.

it just took more than ten days to get power back in a real life hurricane. In my rural area. I still do not have wifi. As the power and cable line was literally down in my exact yard. I did not experience flooding. Like others have in the path of the storm. Where even though I had no flooding.
The damages to infrastructure, zoning, etc.

Imagine flooding in a urban landscape.

Batman did his job. Now is when the incubation period. Starts to create.
if Batman. Has to step in.
for another rise of a threat.
Right now...Batman is a super hero and savior. Batting 1.000

Why would Batman be active?

When he literally eliminated.
Any large urban threat in totality to Gotham.

Art Barr

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics

How have they ignored it? Half the city is flooded... It's presumed that The Batman has a lot of shyt going on. Even in episode 4 they are only a few weeks out from when the tragedy occurred.

They said that this was the bridge to 'The Batman II' so I'm willing to take their word on that.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics