The Penguin - HBO Max The Batman Spinoff

Mission249

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Folks went way too far with that shyt. I'm as progressive as they come, raised by women, two sisters, girlfriend with a PH.D. I love smart, empowered women...I don't like pandering trash writing like the acolyte. Plenty of female driven media has been successful and it always comes down to good writing. Look at Rogue One, female lead, great writing, considered the best Disney star wars they made. Mare of Easttown w/Kate Winslet, Alien w/Sigourney Weaver. Terminator w/Linda Hamilton. A tale as old as time.
The problem is most writing in general is pandering trash. We've just been normalized to white male pandering trash from jump. You can't tell me Rambo wasn't a "Larry Sue". But as soon as a woman does it we're all like "Why can't these writers just chill with this bs :stopitslime:"

The writers just gotta realize this extra burden and step their game up instead of getting into a battle with the legit sexists and racists while ignoring people who would love well written women and minorities. Nobody said shyt about Miles Morales "replacing" Peter Parker cause that movie was undeniable.

Mission249

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
She hit him with the

“ what are u doing inside?? :dahell:
I was worried they were gonna make her be a saint to him before the betrayal. But that was some good nuance.

She didn't deserve what happened. But he didn't know it would go that far and she was a dikk to him every now and then.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
The problem is most writing in general is pandering trash. We've just been normalized to white male pandering trash from jump. You can't tell me Rambo wasn't a "Larry Sue". But as soon as a woman does it we're all like "Why can't these writers just chill with this bs :stopitslime:"

The writers just gotta realize this extra burden and step their game up instead of getting into a battle with the legit sexists and racists while ignoring people who would love well written women and minorities. Nobody said shyt about Miles Morales "replacing" Peter Parker cause that movie was undeniable.

Say you never saw first blood breh.
Then try to talk about Rambo.

Art Barr

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I think the problem with the no batman thing is that he’s supposed to be an ever present threat to criminals, that was his whole spiel in the beginning of the movie but this show really doesn’t ever talk about the vigilantism or super criminals. I understand they want to make it grounded but to completely ignore it feels like batman is on vacation

Otherwise teh show is really good its just hard to pretend it Gotham

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

White men pandering is really baked into our dna at this point. You got people of other races and cultures upset when white men aren’t the center of something

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
Yup. And the show is really emphasizing how big Gotham really is.

I’m sure it’s a bunch of criminals doing wild shyt. Two mob families taking each other out probably not high on Batman’s list to handle.

And it’s good that they make Gotham truly appear to be huge, just like New York. HBO is getting to right with this one.

In everything outside of this Batman timeline, the previous movies made it seem like Gotham was “manageable” to Batman and with some true supervillains he knew where to focus his attention — and deal with the petty criminals, which is crazy.

If we bring it into reality and look at the scale of New York or LA or Mexico, not even a regular police dept can cover that much ground.

So a crime family circling the block on their drug empire is very feasible and they can do it in the shadows.

And Gotham is still a mess right now.