The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Those GPU recs seem to be par for the course now.
not really. I can't think of another game that requires a 680 and recommends a 780. if it turns out to be true, it's pretty much 'sales suicide' if people with 660/760 type cards can't play the game

plus people with 680's should be concerned, as meeting the 'minimum' requirements usually means you can expect to play on 'low' at 30fps

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
not really. I can't think of another game that requires a 680 and recommends a 780. if it turns out to be true, it's pretty much 'sales suicide' if people with 660/760 type cards can't play the game

plus people with 680's should be concerned, as meeting the 'minimum' requirements usually means you can expect to play on 'low' at 30fps
It'll probably be locked at 30fps.

Every new game seems to have higher and higher spec requirements, so it's starting to all seem normal now (hence why I said par for the course). fukking xbox 1 games need 670s and shyt. Doesn't surprise me that this game needs a 680 (have you seen it?).

PC gaming has not caught up with the next gen consoles yet. I've been saying this for months, but people called me crazy :whistle:

It was supposed to be that we needed 2x the power of the console GPUs. It's looking like we might need more now. AC:Unity is gonna be a big mess. And this is just the start of the new generation. Imagine when games start getting more and more graphically complex. 980s aren't even gonna cut it anymore. shyt 4gb isn't enough for some of these games at high/ultra

PC gaming is in a bad spot right now.

I think we finally have enough games to show this. Unless of course you don't mind turning down specs to below console level graphics (something I'm not into one bit, obviously)

Last edited:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
And this is just the start of the new generation. Imagine when games start getting more and more graphically complex.
the consoles are stuck with static hardware though. for that matter, they already have to make these 900p 30fps compromises

I think the trend we've been seeing from most of these 'next gen' ports is high memory and cpu requirements. kinda makes sense since both consoles have 8gb of pooled memory and 8 core cpu's

what xbox 1 port requires a 670? DR3 requires a 570 and Ryse just says a 1gb dx11 card

my experience with the Ass Creed games (3&4) is that none of them run particularly will on PC, so I'm not gonna use it as a standard to judge PC ports

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
the consoles are stuck with static hardware though. for that matter, they already have to make these 900p 30fps compromises

I think the trend we've been seeing from most of these 'next gen' ports is high memory and cpu requirements. kinda makes sense since both consoles have 8gb of pooled memory and 8 core cpu's

what xbox 1 port requires a 670? DR3 requires a 570 and Ryse just says a 1gb dx11 card

my experience with the Ass Creed games (3&4) is that none of them run particularly will on PC, so I'm not gonna use it as a standard to judge PC ports
I thought DR3 needed a 670, must have been the recommended specs I guess :manny:

But we have a Watch Dogs, Evil Within, Shadow or Mordor, DR3, AC:Unity (perhaps, it's not been confirmed yet) all requiring monster specs at ultra/high levels or at 60fps. We'll see how Dragon Age and Far Cry 4 run. I'm worried about both. It's just that every month we have a new console port problem.

I know you don't want to judge the next gen on a few games, but they keep adding up. At some point you gotta ask yourself, are we really there yet? Are our $1K+ systems really as powerful as $400 consoles at this point in time? The more that time passes, the more I believe we're not there yet. :yeshrug:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I thought DR3 needed a 670, must have been the recommended specs I guess :manny:

But we have a Watch Dogs, Evil Within, Shadow or Mordor, DR3, AC:Unity (perhaps, it's not been confirmed yet) all requiring monster specs at ultra/high levels or at 60fps. We'll see how Dragon Age and Far Cry 4 run. I'm worried about both. It's just that every month we have a new console port problem.

I know you don't want to judge the next gen on a few games, but they keep adding up. At some point you gotta ask yourself, are we really there yet? Are our $1K+ systems really as powerful as $400 consoles at this point in time? The more that time passes, the more I believe we're not there yet. :yeshrug:
Far Cry 4 really does look like Far Cry 3.5, and it's required specs reflect that

The Evil Within and DR3 were both designed to run at 30 fps. that's wack and lazy as far as what PC gamers expect, but I think it somewhat excuses the fact they don't scale well to 60fps. and personally I'm not supporting either one of those games (maybe TEW if Bethesda manages to optimize it like it like they claim they will)

Shadow of Mordor is fine (I hear there's still no SLI support though), outside of the 'ultra' texture pack, that you have to download separately

I really don't know what to expect from Dragon Age (aside from wack-ass Origin). but it seems to have reasonable requirements/recommendations

Minimum:

Processor (AMD): Quad core @ 2.5 GHz
Processor (Intel): Quad core @ 2.0 GHz
Memory: 4 GB
Graphics Card (AMD): Radeon HD 4870
Graphics Card (NVIDIA): GeForce 8800 GT
Graphics Memory: 512 MB
Hard Drive: 26 GB
Sound: DirectX 10

Recommended:

Processor (AMD): Six core @ 3.2 GHz
Processor (Intel): Quad core @ 3.0 GHz
Memory: 8 GB
Graphics Card (AMD): Radeon HD 7870 or R9 270
Graphics Card (NVIDIA): GeForce GTX 660
Graphics Memory: 2 GB
Hard Drive: 26 GB
Sound: DirectX 11

* Xbox 360 controller supported
* 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
* Online Authentication at time of installation

and yeah, most of these games are boring and generic, and I'd rather play something like Divinity Original Sin. but I know not everyone is an insufferable hipster like me :smugbiden:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Far Cry 4 really does look like Far Cry 3.5, and it's required specs reflect that

The Evil Within and DR3 were both designed to run at 30 fps. that's wack and lazy as far as what PC gamers expect, but I think it somewhat excuses the fact they don't scale well to 60fps. and personally I'm not supporting either one of those games (maybe TEW if Bethesda manages to optimize it like it like they claim they will)

Shadow of Mordor is fine (I hear there's still no SLI support though), outside of the 'ultra' texture pack, that you have to download separately

I really don't know what to expect from Dragon Age (aside from wack-ass Origin). but it seems to have reasonable requirements/recommendations

and yeah, most of these games are boring and generic, and I'd rather play something like Divinity Original Sin. but I know not everyone is an insufferable hipster like me :smugbiden:
Far Cry 4 has reasonable specs, but from the videos, it looks like it has much better graphics and textures compared to FC3. I'm concerned that the specs are under powered. We'll see though. Dragon Age also has reasonable specs, but the videos look crazy with special effects. I dunno if I believe those specs either.

Time will tell.

I'm paranoid and a pessimist though, we all know this :yeshrug:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Far Cry 4 has reasonable specs, but from the videos, it looks like it has much better graphics and textures compared to FC3. I'm concerned that the specs are under powered. We'll see though. Dragon Age also has reasonable specs, but the videos look crazy with special effects. I dunno if I believe those specs either.

Time will tell.
it all depends on how well they scale. of course whenever you see promo stuff it's gonna be 'maxed out' on a crazy machine

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
those AC Unity specs are official

http://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-unity-pc-specs/

64-bit operating system
Required

Supported OS
Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8/8.1 (64bit versions only)

Processor
Minimum
Intel Core i5-2500K @ 3.3 GHz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz or AMD Phenom II x4 940 @ 3.0 GHz

Recommended
Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.4 GHz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz or better

RAM
Minimum
6 GB

Recommended
8GB

Video Card
Minimum
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 or AMD Radeon HD 7970 (2 GB VRAM)

Recommended
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 or AMD Radeon R9 290X (3 GB VRAM)

DirectX
Version 11

Sound Card
DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card with latest drivers

Hard Drive Space
50 GB available space

Peripherals Supported
Windows-compatible keyboard and mouse required, optional controller

Multiplayer
256 kbps or faster broadband connection

Supported Video Cards at Time of Release
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 or better, GeForce GTX 700 series; AMD Radeon HD7970 or better, Radeon R9 200 series
Note: Laptop versions of these cards may work but are NOT officially supported.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
it all depends on how well they scale. of course whenever you see promo stuff it's gonna be 'maxed out' on a crazy machine
I'm a maxed out kind of guy. I'm either playing it at or above ps4 levels graphics wise, or I think there's no point in playing it on a PC. I think my post history reflects that:yeshrug:

I may be buying shyt on consoles until 8gb gpus come out. I was thinking about getting new gpus, but those aren't good enough either. I don't like where we're at right now in the PC gaming world.

I have demanding requirements (3 monitors on high/ultra), but I feel we should be there. GPUs should be capable of 4K by now. Hopefully AMD will save us.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I'm a maxed out kind of guy. I'm either playing it at or above ps4 levels graphics wise, or I think there's no point in playing it on a PC. I think my post history reflects that:yeshrug:
but how it scales it's what's gonna be reflected in the 'minimum' and 'recommended' specs. a few games have listed a third max/ultra spec. but even that probably wouldn't accommodate your 3 monitors

and with PC games you have this '3 monitors or nothing' attitude that makes it seem weird you'd be so quick to fall back to the PS4. do you ever use your 1440p monitor?

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
but how it scales it's what's gonna be reflected in the 'minimum' and 'recommended' specs. a few games have listed a third max/ultra spec. but even that probably wouldn't accommodate your 3 monitors

and with PC games you have this '3 monitors or nothing' attitude that makes it seem weird you'd be so quick to fall back to the PS4. do you ever use your 1440p monitor?
I use it rarely. Maybe I should use it more though...

Probably will have to with AC:unity, given that I already bought it and there's probably no way in hell it'll work in 3 monitors.

I just hate 1 monitor shyt on a pc. But I'm sure I could get used to it.

I'm just :to: that 2 780tis is :flabbynsick: now

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Shadow of Mordor is fixed in SLI now, at least when you use Flawless Widescreen. I was getting mid 30fps before in 3 monitors. Now I'm in the 70s. :blessed:

Still got strange pop-in in some games though....:mjcry:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Son those specs are kinda retarded...first off a 7970 is a 3gb vram card..so why is it in the 2gb section...honestly I dont even trust recommended specs anymore... @Ciggavelli I think u being paranoid bro..noone should have to buy new hardware for shyt like The Evil Within which is a total fukkin mess...shyt like Shadows of Mordor is fine...and even The Evil Within..shyt didnt need those VRam specs at all..or CPU specs..Its all just BS..

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I use it rarely. Maybe I should use it more though...

Probably will have to with AC:unity, given that I already bought it and there's probably no way in hell it'll work in 3 monitors.

I just hate 1 monitor shyt on a pc. But I'm sure I could get used to it.

I'm just :to: that 2 780tis is :flabbynsick: now
But its not tho fam..its always a new card out there but are still some of the most powerful cards on the market..

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Son those specs are kinda retarded...first off a 7970 is a 3gb vram card..so why is it in the 2gb section...honestly I dont even trust recommended specs anymore... @Ciggavelli I think u being paranoid bro..noone should have to buy new hardware for shyt like The Evil Within which is a total fukkin mess...shyt like Shadows of Mordor is fine...and even The Evil Within..shyt didnt need those VRam specs at all..or CPU specs..Its all just BS..
Nah, I might need to buy hardware to play like I wanna play (which is in 3 monitors at high/ultra). If games keep coming out with these steep specs, my 780ti sli ain't gonna cut it.

So far I've been okay (I don't mind gaming at 35-45 fps). But AC: Unity is probably gonna kill my system. If that trend continues, I'm gonna be forced to buy new shyt. Problem is, there is nothing I can buy that will suit my needs. the 980s only have 4gb of ram. 4gb isn't cutting it anymore apparently (I can't believe I'm typing that by the way....no one saw that coming, not even last year).