The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Ruck

Where the hell is Diamond?!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Last Frontier
@2gunsup

@Malta

@daze23

Any hands on experience with the 980's or the 970's yet? my friend wants me to recommend parts for him, but I am not sure its worth it for these cards right now? I'm looking at the 4GB 980 for $550 and I'm like :ld: when are the 8GB models dropping?
tell him go for the 970 - can't beat price performance. i know people would suggest getting the best single card u can afford, but unless he's going 4k, 970 will be perfect to 1600p-1080p

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Holy jaggies Batman! Alien Isolation runs practically buttery smooth 60fps/1080P ultra settings but I want downsampling but me having an AMD card is preventing me from attaining that crystal clear image I've seen online. :sadcam: I mean there's a way to get it to work but it involves a bunch of hacks and shyt. :snoop: I only walked out the room and went around the corner.

I like the atmosphere already though :obama:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Holy jaggies Batman! Alien Isolation runs practically buttery smooth 60fps/1080P ultra settings but I want downsampling but me having an AMD card is preventing me from attaining that crystal clear image I've seen online. :sadcam: I mean there's a way to get it to work but it involves a bunch of hacks and shyt. :snoop: I only walked out the room and went around the corner.

I like the atmosphere already though :obama:
sucks cause even with the ingame SMAA 2Tx and downsampling (1440->1080) it still has bad aliasing

Last edited:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
beat F.E.A.R. last night. great game. definitely a top-notch shooter, with some of the best shooting mechanics I've seen (IMO slightly better than Max Payne 3). the AI is also very good

not sure wtf was going on with the story though. it probably didn't help that I took some breaks playing this one

graphics are actually pretty good for a 9 y/o game. plus it has working AA and AO bits for nvidia inspector, so I was able to spice it up a little

I think it's a 'must play' for any FPS fan. I'm gonna check out the expansion "Extraction Point" next

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
sucks cause even with the ingame SMAA 2Tx and downsampling (1440->1080) it still has bad aliasing
Yeah i just jumped through hoops amending registry values just to get downsampling working on my AMD card and I still see shimmering. The game looks surreal though.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Yeah i just jumped through hoops amending registry values just to get downsampling working on my AMD card and I still see shimmering. The game looks surreal though.
just downsample from 8k and all the shimmering will be gone :troll:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Call of Dookie AW PC requirements

http://store.steampowered.com/app/209650/

MINIMUM:
    • OS: OS: Windows 7 64-Bit / Windows 8 64-Bit / Windows 8.1 64-Bit
    • Processor: Intel® CoreTM i3-530 @ 2.93 GHz / AMD PhenomTM II X4 810 @ 2.80 GHz or better
    • Memory: 6 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 450 @ 1GB / ATI® Radeon™ HD 5870 @ 1GB or better
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Hard Drive: 55 GB available space
    • Sound Card: DirectX-compatible
I think that's the first game, besides Star Citizen, to require more than 4gb

edit: now I remember COD Ghosts had the same 6gb requirement, but it turned out to be BS

Last edited:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Call of Dookie AW PC requirements

http://store.steampowered.com/app/209650/

I think that's the first game, besides Star Citizen, to require more than 4gb

edit: now I remember COD Ghosts had the same 6gb requirement, but it turned out to be BS
These system requirements are starting to become a farce.

The Evil Within and Shadow of Mordor had me thinking PC's would catch on fire but not even.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
These system requirements are starting to become a farce.

The Evil Within and Shadow of Mordor had me thinking PC's would catch on fire but not even.
I don't know what they were smoking with that 4gb of vram thing. I think people are saying it doesn't even use 2gb or vram. that game (TEW) seems like a mess beyond that. got people resorting to using "flawless widescreen" just to get rid of black bars without killing the FOV. and pretty much no one can maintain 60fps, because despite 'requiring' an i7, it's still mostly dependent on one core

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-The_Evil_Within_-test-evilwithin_intel.jpg

Shadow of Mordor's 6gb ultra textures thing turned out to be true though. well at least I can say they do cause stuttering on my 3gb card. but other than than, the game runs great. it's funny cause I was playing it at 4k, with ultra textures, when I was messing with 'photo mode', and I was surprised at how 'playable' it was at 15-30 fps :heh:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I don't know what they were smoking with that 4gb of vram thing. I think people are saying it doesn't even use 2gb or vram. that game (TEW) seems like a mess beyond that. got people resorting to using "flawless widescreen" just to get rid of black bars without killing the FOV. and pretty much no one can maintain 60fps, because despite 'requiring' an i7, it's still mostly dependent on one core

Shadow of Mordor's 6gb ultra textures thing turned out to be true though. well at least I can say they do cause stuttering on my 3gb card. but other than than, the game runs great. it's funny cause I was playing it at 4k, with ultra textures, when I was messing with 'photo mode', and I was surprised at how 'playable' it was at 15-30 fps :heh:
Yeah I think it's still early and not time to throw my desktop out the window.

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
beat F.E.A.R. last night. great game. definitely a top-notch shooter, with some of the best shooting mechanics I've seen (IMO slightly better than Max Payne 3). the AI is also very good

not sure wtf was going on with the story though. it probably didn't help that I took some breaks playing this one

graphics are actually pretty good for a 9 y/o game. plus it has working AA and AO bits for nvidia inspector, so I was able to spice it up a little

I think it's a 'must play' for any FPS fan. I'm gonna check out the expansion "Extraction Point" next
How you feel about that ladder scene?:lupe:

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
the whole game was hella creepy with the little girl popping up

F91CB5D74FB5F8BE1C5BF5CF34B4D2958DF57A40
I found it to be tame in all but the ladder scene, and the security room monitor. The ladder scene is the last legit scare ive had, and that was back in like...05? My body froze up for a few seconds. The monitor was a nice "gotcha". Too bad the sequels fukked it all up.