The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
How much does it cost to put one together these days? Im talking great specs that will carry me for at least 5 years. Im not a gamer so i'll mostly be browsing and consuming media with the occasional software compiling. Im flirting with the idea now since I feel like a 2nd laptop is gonna be a waste of money :patrice:

Ruck

Where the hell is Diamond?!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Last Frontier
How much does it cost to put one together these days? Im talking great specs that will carry me for at least 5 years. Im not a gamer so i'll mostly be browsing and consuming media with the occasional software compiling. Im flirting with the idea now since I feel like a 2nd laptop is gonna be a waste of money :patrice:
If thats all youre doing, why not get a high end tablet?

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

Daps
Current setup is a laptop hooked up to an external monitor and keyboard. I want to replace the laptop with a pc. I have no use for tablets because I want to run a custom linux build as my OS. Besides, I may change my mind in the future and play a game or two so I want the freedom to be able to upgrade the pc parts as needed.

Him

1-1800-IMHIM
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Golden △
Not sure if this is the place to ask but
Anyone know how to get Sony Vegas for free?

Ruck

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Last Frontier
Current setup is a laptop hooked up to an external monitor and keyboard. I want to replace the laptop with a pc. I have no use for tablets because I want to run a custom linux build as my OS. Besides, I may change my mind in the future and play a game or two so I want the freedom to be able to upgrade the pc parts as needed.
What kind of monitor?

Ruck

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Last Frontier

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

Daps
I had that monitor. You could easily build something for less than a $1000 without a dedicated graphics card. Do you plan on having alot of storage and using alot of the mothernoard usb ports?
Yeah im trying not too spend over a 1000 on this. I have a bunch of hard drives already but having a dedicated PC storage (maybe 3TB or so) would be cool. More usb ports on the motherboard means less cable management so that is a plus but not a huge requirement. I have an external usb hub with 8 ports I placed underneath my desk and use to connect most usb cables to my laptop.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I've been getting into Horizon Zero Dawn. shyt is fun; better than Zelda :yeshrug: . I tried to play BOTW again for like the 14th time, and shyt is just not for me. I feel like I should play it, because of how highly it is rated and FOMO, but Zelda games are no fun for me :manny:

Mister_DoItNice

Leading The Regime
Daps
Reppin
The Concrete Jungle
I've been getting into Horizon Zero Dawn. shyt is fun; better than Zelda :yeshrug: . I tried to play BOTW again for like the 14th time, and shyt is just not for me. I feel like I should play it, because of how highly it is rated and FOMO, but Zelda games are no fun for me :manny:
I’ve never been able to get into Zelda. I downloaded Horizon during a steam sale a few weeks ago. Looking forward to jumping in. I still need to finish Forspoken beforehand.

Ruck

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Last Frontier
Yeah im trying not too spend over a 1000 on this. I have a bunch of hard drives already but having a dedicated PC storage (maybe 3TB or so) would be cool. More usb ports on the motherboard means less cable management so that is a plus but not a huge requirement. I have an external usb hub with 8 ports I placed underneath my desk and use to connect most usb cables to my laptop.
cpu - intel i5 13600k

Motherboard - msi z790 tomahawk

Ram/ddr5 - 32gb minimum. Brands such as G.Skill, Corsair, Teamgroup and crucial are solid. Try and look for 6000mhz cl36 speed kits.

Power supply - Look for a power supply thats atx 3.0 ready and has a gold rating. 850w minimum. Evga, seasonic and corsair are solid brands.

Case - subjective but lian li, phanteks and fractal are really the top brands in terms of quality and innovation. Recommend lian li air mini.

Cpu cooler - scythe fuma 2

Storage/Nvme - Samsung Pro series are the most reliable. Wd black are great too.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
The G9 OLED is apparently not gync compatible according to nvidia device controller. It doesn’t do it on software side. I gotta keep the refresh rate at 240, limit the frames to 120 and then use vsync to get no screen tearing. shyt works perfectly after doing that, but it took a while to figure it out.

The HDR isn’t as bright as the mini led version, but the true blacks and colors or so much better. Night scenes no long have terrible led light bleed.

I love my LG OLED TV, and this Samsung OLED is up there in terms of picture quality.

I don’t think I could ever go back to a non-old pc monitor again. It’s that good.

I gotta turn afterburner OST stats on the top left off fear of burn in. I’ll use them in beginning of a game to look at frames, temps, and % of cpu and gpu, then I’m turning them off.

Another cool thing about this monitor is that it comes with a remote. So much easier than the typical buttons on the bottom of the monitor.

I don’t think I’ll be upgrading this monitor anytime soon. It might be the best monitor on the market.

Samsung needs to do a 4K super ultrawide version of this in the future. 8K (4K by 4K) is gonna be hard to run. Maybe not even a viable option until the 5090 or 6090

The question would be if one can tell the difference between 1440p and 2160p on this monitor. The 1440p looks so crisp right now. I’m not really sure of it can get better. But I’m sure it will probably look even better close up if you’re paying attention.

I’ve wondered why they haven’t dropped a 4K super ultrawide yet. Maybe the panels are there yet.

I’m a little worried about burn in, but it has pixelshift technology, so I guess it’s okay.

OLED is just so much better than LED, as tv owners know, but to have the same quality on my monitor as my LG C2 OLED finally has me making no compromises with my pc monitor in terms of video quality. Highly recommended if you want a 32:9 monitor

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

Daps
The G9 OLED is apparently not gync compatible according to nvidia device controller. It doesn’t do it on software side. I gotta keep the refresh rate at 240, limit the frames to 120 and then use vsync to get no screen tearing. shyt works perfectly after doing that, but it took a while to figure it out.

The HDR isn’t as bright as the mini led version, but the true blacks and colors or so much better. Night scenes no long have terrible led light bleed.

I love my LG OLED TV, and this Samsung OLED is up there in terms of picture quality.

I don’t think I could ever go back to a non-old pc monitor again. It’s that good.

I gotta turn afterburner OST stats on the top left off fear of burn in. I’ll use them in beginning of a game to look at frames, temps, and % of cpu and gpu, then I’m turning them off.

Another cool thing about this monitor is that it comes with a remote. So much easier than the typical buttons on the bottom of the monitor.

I don’t think I’ll be upgrading this monitor anytime soon. It might be the best monitor on the market.

Samsung needs to do a 4K super ultrawide version of this in the future. 8K (4K by 4K) is gonna be hard to run. Maybe not even a viable option until the 5090 or 6090

The question would be if one can tell the difference between 1440p and 2160p on this monitor. The 1440p looks so crisp right now. I’m not really sure of it can get better. But I’m sure it will probably look even better close up if you’re paying attention.

I’ve wondered why they haven’t dropped a 4K super ultrawide yet. Maybe the panels are there yet.

I’m a little worried about burn in, but it has pixelshift technology, so I guess it’s okay.

OLED is just so much better than LED, as tv owners know, but to have the same quality on my monitor as my LG C2 OLED finally has me making no compromises with my pc monitor in terms of video quality. Highly recommended if you want a 32:9 monitor
Thats great and all but 2k on a monitor? The splurge guilt wouldn't let me :picard: