The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Schadenfreude

All Star
Daps
There's no new 3080ti available where I'm at so 3080 will have to do :lolbron: Will it not be possible to play at 1440p60 with a 3080 ? I do not need Ultra everything for the record. Very High is more than enough as I'm playing on my TV from afar.

I upgraded my CPU last year to a Ryzen 5600x (had a 2600x before) so I believe it should be ok.

Easily. You could play 4k with that card.

Mister_DoItNice

Leading The Regime
Daps
Reppin
The Concrete Jungle
Looking like AMD didn’t really come with the fire the way people anticipated. I was able to get my hands on a 4090 FE over the weekend and now I’m trying to decide if I want to keep that or get the Strix OC.

Anti-Anime

fukk u weeaboo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Not Japan
Looking like AMD didn’t really come with the fire the way people anticipated. I was able to get my hands on a 4090 FE over the weekend and now I’m trying to decide if I want to keep that or get the Strix OC.
for aesthetics? at least for gaming i dont think the asus tax is worth the markup for a few fps over an fe or a card with a reference board

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Well, as feared it wasn't my ram causing the issue. I got new ram and the same mem55 error keeps occurring. I got a bad mobo :mjcry:

Now I gotta wait for an RMA, when I may have voided the warranty taking the mobo apart to put on the cpu water block, or spend another $1K on buying a new mobo :francis:

#shouldaboughtaprebuild

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Well, as feared it wasn't my ram causing the issue. I got new ram and the same mem55 error keeps occurring. I got a bad mobo :mjcry:

Now I gotta wait for an RMA, when I may have voided the warranty taking the mobo apart to put on the cpu water block, or spend another $1K on buying a new mobo :francis:

#shouldaboughtaprebuild
ContentIdleIberiannase.webp

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
The thing with these custom builds is that they are not super easy to put together. I’m not looking forward to taking it all apart and then putting it all back together again. I already had to redo the cpu water block installation like 3 times because there are absolutely no instructions on how to dismantle my mobo. The ekwb instructions just said, “remove heatsinks.” You can’t just take off the heat sink. You need to know which screws to unscrew and in which order because there are parts within parts. Took me forever.

Luckily, I don’t have to measure and recut the acrylic tubing. That’ll save some time at least.

But now, when I rebuy the same mobo, I’m going to have to also get a cheap test bench case and cpu fan I’ll never use except to test the mobo and ram. There’s no way I’m building this shyt again without testing everything I can first.

So I’m probably looking at $1300 more over what I’ve already spent, which included scalper 4090 prices.

A pre build wouldn’t have looked as cool or performed as well, but it would have saved me a lot of time and money.

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
I just had to replace my AIO unit in my computer. shyt was a bytch to get the cables un-organized, then re-organized. I'll probably build a completely new when the 5000 series Nvidia cards come out, but I'm going completely minimalist. Only the essentials. All these cables are irritating as fukk.