The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
74gc29uw1f4a1.jpg

:damn:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Go on, please. I don't know enough about ray tracing + hardware, I thought it was more software dependent.
20XX series has dedicated components for ray tracing operations. It was the first generation of them, but they were good enough to handle an RT workload. The 6000 series (and I think even the 7000 series) don't have dedicated hardware for it, so even though the cards are comparable in a regular workload, when you add in RT computation, it's just no contest. AMD is effectively a generation behind with ray tracing. Software optimizations can help but it looks like being able to completely offload anything RT related is the correct path.

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
20XX series has dedicated components for ray tracing operations. It was the first generation of them, but they were good enough to handle an RT workload. The 6000 series (and I think even the 7000 series) don't have dedicated hardware for it, so even though the cards are comparable in a regular workload, when you add in RT computation, it's just no contest. AMD is effectively a generation behind with ray tracing. Software optimizations can help but it looks like being able to completely offload anything RT related is the correct path.

I'm going to have to read up more on this.:jbhmm:

Thanks!

Schadenfreude

All Star
Daps
It would be nice if games used AMD's FSR tech, but they currently don't. I will say this -- Nvidia is getting greedy AF with their 4080 pricing; AMD has a shot to steal market share with the 7900XTX and 7900XT if it's priced right and the performance is close to the 4080 or beats it for less $$.