The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
So my system won't recognize the ram, even though it is the correct ram. fukk, now I'm afraid it's a mobo issue. This type of shyt always happens. I don't want to break it all down, put the cooler back on the mobo, etc. I hate this shyt. Now I remember why I stopped doing this pc shyt a couple of years ago :mjcry:

Edit: And the only 2 threads that could possible help me are on ASUS's website, but it is down for maintenance of course :dead:

Last edited:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
It would be nice if games used AMD's FSR tech, but they currently don't. I will say this -- Nvidia is getting greedy AF with their 4080 pricing; AMD has a shot to steal market share with the 7900XTX and 7900XT if it's priced right and the performance is close to the 4080 or beats it for less $$.
I think AMD needs to be proactive and make FSR engineers available to actively help integrate it into games. The expertise will be available for game companies and the knowledge gained should more easily and quickly be put back into FSR as an open source product. They're in a tough position I think. By making it open source, they hope to get some "free" contributions from devs as they integrate it into their games. But if FSR is as easy to use as they say, there's probably not a huge incentive to change the code, so AMD is going to end up doing all the hard work anyway. If they can keep their hand in everyone's pot, the overall quality of FSR should always improve.

Schadenfreude

All Star
Daps
So my system won't recognize the ram, even though it is the correct ram. fukk, now I'm afraid it's a mobo issue. This type of shyt always happens. I don't want to break it all down, put the cooler back on the mobo, etc. I hate this shyt. Now I remember why I stopped doing this pc shyt a couple of years ago :mjcry:

Edit: And the only 2 threads that could possible help me are on ASUS's website, but it is down for maintenance of course :dead:

What board/cpu do you have?

Edit: start simple, check to see if the ram is good in another system first.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
What board/cpu do you have?

Edit: start simple, check to see if the ram is good in another system first.
ASUS Rog Maximus Z690 Extreme and i9 12900k with a 4090. I double checked the ram compatability, and they should work, but for some reason they aren't. I'll try one at a time and see if maybe one of them is bad. I think I may just buy a different type of ram and test it out that way. I REALLY don't want to RMA a motherboard that I've already dismantled and put a waterblock, on, but I guess I may have to if it's not the ram.

Either way, I'm not gonna get this new computer to work most likely for a while (minus the ram working).

Meanwhile, I'm pissed off and just want to game, so I just bought the 3 games I want to play again for my PS5. :dead:

shyt sucks :mjcry:

Schadenfreude

All Star
Daps
ASUS Rog Maximus Z690 Extreme and i9 12900k with a 4090. I double checked the ram compatability, and they should work, but for some reason they aren't. I'll try one at a time and see if maybe one of them is bad. I think I may just buy a different type of ram and test it out that way. I REALLY don't want to RMA a motherboard that I've already dismantled and put a waterblock, on, but I guess I may have to if it's not the ram.

Either way, I'm not gonna get this new computer to work most likely for a while (minus the ram working).

Meanwhile, I'm pissed off and just want to game, so I just bought the 3 games I want to play again for my PS5. :dead:

shyt sucks :mjcry:
Is it overclocked? Got a POST error/debug feature on the board?

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Is it overclocked? Got a POST error/debug feature on the board?
I haven't overclocked it at all. Tonight was the first time I turned it on after installing the tubing and checking for leaks. The CPU seems to go through all of the codes, but the ram gets stuck at code 55, which means it can't detect the ram. It won't go to the bios, and it's not posting. It could be a weird incompatibility issue with the ram, but I triple checked (it's ddr5). Random threads on the internet had similar problems and it turned out to be a bad mobo. I think I'll just bite the bullet on buying a different type of ram. If it still doesn't work, I'll just return the ram I guess. My ram is corsair dominator platinum ddr5 6000 (pc5 48000) cas 36, which is supposed to work. I guess it is technically factory overclocked ram possibly. Maybe that is it?:jbhmm:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I haven't overclocked it at all. Tonight was the first time I turned it on after installing the tubing and checking for leaks. The CPU seems to go through all of the codes, but the ram gets stuck at code 55, which means it can't detect the ram. It won't go to the bios, and it's not posting. It could be a weird incompatibility issue with the ram, but I triple checked (it's ddr5). Random threads on the internet had similar problems and it turned out to be a bad mobo. I think I'll just bite the bullet on buying a different type of ram. If it still doesn't work, I'll just return the ram I guess. My ram is corsair dominator platinum ddr5 6000 (pc5 48000) cas 36, which is supposed to work. I guess it is technically factory overclocked ram possibly. Maybe that is it?:jbhmm:
I recall Jayz2Cents saying DDR5 takes a while to post because the MOBO is running through a sequence to tighten the timings or something. But I don't know if that was Intel/AMD, or both. Could try letting it sit a few minutes?

Schadenfreude

All Star
Daps

Nah. That's not it. It's either the sticks of ram or the memory controller on the motherboard. Easiest way to find out is to pop the stick(s) into another board and see if the computer posts. If it does, you need another board, if it doesn't, start with the RAM.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Nah. That's not it. It's either the sticks of ram or the memory controller on the motherboard. Easiest way to find out is to pop the stick(s) into another board and see if the computer posts. If it does, you need another board, if it doesn't, start with the RAM.
I don’t have another suitable mobo unfortunately. I guess I’ll try new ram. If that doesn’t work, then it’s the mobo. Thanks for your help!

Schadenfreude

All Star
Daps
I don’t have another suitable mobo unfortunately. I guess I’ll try new ram. If that doesn’t work, then it’s the mobo. Thanks for your help!

One last thing -- check the memory traces where it contacts the memory slots on the board, if they're damaged, or the memory slots are damaged, then you found your problem.

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Is 750 bucks good price for a 3080 10GB ?

I may uograde my 1660 ti in the coming months and will likely target that gpu (hopefully so it can last 3 or 4 years). A couple of brands (MSI, PNY, Gainward) are around that price.

I would want to play at 1440p with RT (60 fps is enough for me). Would also use that card for renderings with Enscape.

Schadenfreude

All Star
Daps
Is 750 bucks good price for a 3080 10GB ?

I may uograde my 1660 ti in the coming months and will likely target that gpu (hopefully so it can last 3 or 4 years). A couple of brands (MSI, PNY, Gainward) are around that price.

I would want to play at 1440p with RT (60 fps is enough for me). Would also use that card for renderings with Enscape.

In the US, the EVGA FTW3's original suggested MSRP was $800-850, before pricing went bananas. If you have to go Nvidia, it's not a bad choice, but you might be able to get a 3080ti for a little bit more money so you'll be able to play at 1440 and 4k eventually if you should go that route. That being said - it also depends on the rest of your system, you don't want to get CPU bottlenecked.

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
In the US, the EVGA FTW3's original suggested MSRP was $800-850, before pricing went bananas. If you have to go Nvidia, it's not a bad choice, but you might be able to get a 3080ti for a little bit more money so you'll be able to play at 1440 and 4k eventually if you should go that route. That being said - it also depends on the rest of your system, you don't want to get CPU bottlenecked.
There's no new 3080ti available where I'm at so 3080 will have to do :lolbron: Will it not be possible to play at 1440p60 with a 3080 ? I do not need Ultra everything for the record. Very High is more than enough as I'm playing on my TV from afar.

I upgraded my CPU last year to a Ryzen 5600x (had a 2600x before) so I believe it should be ok.