The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

knickscrusaderm

lead by example
Daps
Reppin
dark butts
This guy's channel is good for build components to buy

Love this channel, brought a lot of clarity to me for mobos and liquid cooling.
Check in on that periodically.
Here's one. I'm not speaking on performance, just price
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MFZXR1B
I’m building my PC off the strength of this sub. Got a 6200 CL38 kit of DRR5 RGB ram and a 2TB NvMe drive for 300 :wow:.

knickscrusaderm

lead by example
Daps
Reppin
dark butts
EVGA Z690 Classified; $300 off plus ddr5 support. Someone convince me not to cop this shyt and a 12700k to live my best life instead of just waiting for AMD5 motherboards/chips.

I can eat off this shyt till they release premium boards in 2024, EASY! :wow:

Last edited:

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
It's hard to tell what it has because the listing keeps the motherboard generic. I expect it only has one M.2 slot so you would have to replace and figure out how to clone the existing files over if you go with one of those drives. I've never done that before, someone else would have to speak up. An external or a SATA SSD would be a better bet. With the SATA the only issue I can think of is making sure you have a power cable for it.

Opened up the case and the motherboard is an Asrock B460M Pro4a/c

Here's the specs:

• Supports DDR4 2933MHz
  • 2 PCIe 3.0 x16, 1 PCIe 3.0 x1
  • AMD Quad CrossFireX™ and CrossFireX™
  • Graphics Output Options : HDMI
  • 7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC1200 Audio Codec), Nahimic Audio
  • 6 SATA3, 1 Ultra M.2 (PCIe Gen3 x4 & SATA3), 1 Ultra M.2 (PCIe Gen3 x4)
  • 7 USB 3.2 Gen1 (2 Front, 4 Rear, 1 Rear Type-C)

Looks to have two M.2 ports? Is one of the ports better than the other?

Would this Samsung Evo work?

Last edited:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Opened up the case and the motherboard is an Asrock B460M Pro4a/c

Here's the specs:

• Supports DDR4 2933MHz
  • 2 PCIe 3.0 x16, 1 PCIe 3.0 x1
  • AMD Quad CrossFireX™ and CrossFireX™
  • Graphics Output Options : HDMI
  • 7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC1200 Audio Codec), Nahimic Audio
  • 6 SATA3, 1 Ultra M.2 (PCIe Gen3 x4 & SATA3), 1 Ultra M.2 (PCIe Gen3 x4)
  • 7 USB 3.2 Gen1 (2 Front, 4 Rear, 1 Rear Type-C)

Looks to have two M.2 ports? Is one of the ports better than the other?

Would this Samsung Evo work?
PC Part Picker shows no compatibility issues PC Builder - PCPartPicker should be fine.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
Ok, so just ordered a samsung 970 evo for storage expansion, it should arrive tomorrow. The board has two m.2 slots, with one currently holding a WD SN550 Blue 500gb nvme drive. What's the easiest, yet most optimized way to install the new drive when considering that neither me or my daughter care about benchmarks, but wouldn't mind getting a speed bump if I'm going through all this trouble to do this for her.? Is it worth moving the slower 500gb to the port further away from the cpu in order to have the evo be closer? If I do this, would there be any need to touch the OS location and will it be worth transferring windows to the evo from the 500? Outside of these two questions, should everything else be plug n play for the most part? Any formatting or any other little things that I need to be considering? Thanks

Last edited:

Ruck

Where the hell is Diamond?!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Last Frontier
Ok, so just ordered a samsung 970 evo for storage expansion, it should arrive tomorrow. The board has two m.2 slots, with one currently holding a WD SN550 Blue 500gb nvme drive. What's the easiest, yet most optimized way to install the new drive when considering that neither me or my daughter care about benchmarks, but wouldn't mind getting a speed bump if I'm going through all this trouble to do this for her.? Is it worth moving the slower 500gb to the port further away from the cpu in order to have the evo be closer? If I do this, would there be any need to touch the OS location and will it be worth transferring windows to the evo from the 500? Outside of these two questions, should everything else be plug n play for the most part? Any formatting or any other little things that I need to be considering? Thanks
If you are happy with the performance of the 500gb ssd and just need more storage space, then putting the new evo drive below will be fine. Only problem is that if you ever need to save something to the new evo drive, it will require a little more steps to direct it to the evo drive which can be a bit tedious.

If you want the evo to be the main drive and operating system, you can easily transfer all the data in the 500gb wd blue to the evo using samsung magician software. Just plug the evo drive to the second slot and use magician to copy/transfer all your data from the blue to the evo.

You can take out the wd blue from the first slot, put the evo in the first slot, and then put the wd blue in the second slot. If you do this, make sure you go into the bios and have the evo as your first/priority boot drive. You can leave the wd blue as is, or wipe it clean and give it a new letter drive for more storage or to be used as a os backup.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
Best buy price matched the price amazon had, so I ran down there and picked it up about an hour ago. Got everything installed and all appears to be running correct and well. The samsung data migration software made it a cinch. Hardest part was figuring out that the second hard drive slot was hiding behind the graphics card and finding an m2 screw to secure it since samsung and asrock were too cheap to supply one lol. Thanks @Ruck and @Obreh Winfrey

Unfiltered

The Dan Bongino Show (Mon. – Fri. 12p-3p ET)
Daps
Lian Li O11 Air Mini for case

MSI B560 motherboard
I actually got the Versa H17 and a cheap ASROCK mobo...

Think I should cancel the order and get these parts you sugested?

I don't want to do another MINI-ITX build, too cramped...

This is just a basic PC with light gaming.