The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Negro Caesar

Superstar
Daps
I folded brehs. Don’t even want to tell y’all the dumb shyt I just did with my new pc smh.
What u do bruh ? I’m not one of the believers that a 2000 series is a mistake. They are still good cards. And you never know when a 3000 card will actually be available. Just sell the 2000 card for probably -100 less than u bought it for and buy a 3000 when they become available

If u bought a GPU

MMA

Superstar
Daps
Said f**k it and ordered the 10900 strictly for Pc tv gaming
It’s going to catch fire in the h1 series x :russ:

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
I didn't even know this thread existed, but I specced up this:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB)

Storage: [url=https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/JLdxFT/samsung-970-evo-10tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-v7e1t0baw]Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Sapphire Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB PULSE Video Card

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: £1389.23

I don't even play games on PC, but I'll start with some simple stuff like Civilisation, Sim City, Flight Simulator, Train Simulator and a bit of Counter Strike, but not much more than that for now - nothing competitive. So I was suggested an 2060, but I didn't need that, so went for the 5600.

I primarily need the power for virtualisation, and some mapping tools and after I finished my exams/studies I'll start to study something creative like video graphics. So it's a bit OTT for what I want, but I only want to buy something once that will last me for about 5 years.[/url]

Negro Caesar

Superstar
Daps
Go with a Ryzen 5 3600 for ur CPU and use those savings in getting a RTX 2060 or 2060 Super. Rtx cards have something called DLSS2.0. With DLSS 2.0 it’s starting to drop games that utilize it and increased ur frame rates, AMD cards don’t have that. AMD cards also don’t have Raytracing. But the rest looks solid. That CPU is overkill for what ur trying to do. Better put in a GPU so u can get 1080p at 144hz a lot more easily.

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
Go with a Ryzen 5 3600 for ur CPU and use those savings in getting a RTX 2060 or 2060 Super. Rtx cards have something called DLSS2.0. With DLSS 2.0 it’s starting to drop games that utilize it and increased ur frame rates, AMD cards don’t have that. AMD cards also don’t have Raytracing. But the rest looks solid. That CPU is overkill for what ur trying to do. Better put in a GPU so u can get 1080p at 144hz a lot more easily.

TBH is less of a gaming and more of a virtualisation machine, so I’ll need multiple full power VM running at a time and I will want to be able to use the PC normally.

I bought the components from different companies so let me see if I can do some returns.

Is there a specific 2060 card you’d suggest?

Negro Caesar

Superstar
Daps
TBH is less of a gaming and more of a virtualisation machine, so I’ll need multiple full power VM running at a time and I will want to be able to use the PC normally.

I bought the components from different companies so let me see if I can do some returns.

Is there a specific 2060 card you’d suggest?
The MSI Gaming Z probably has the best temps.

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
I bought the same case :salute: I'm still trying to build my PC but the PSU I want is still out of stock everywhere :martin:

Same! I ordered from 2 places, one of which is Amazon who said they're deliver "at some point" and the other place felt a bit dodgy, so I'll wait and see what comes first. At the moment that's my stumbling block.

The MSI Gaming Z probably has the best temps.

OK thank you. So middle point was the 3700x as I just need the extra cores for my VMs, which should be OK. As for the card, I had been doing a fair amount of reading and video watching about the differences especially the ray-tracing, and the one I remember said:

Personally, as much as I’m a fan of how ray tracing looks, I’m still not entirely convinced there are enough confirmed ray tracing and DLSS games out there to really justify jumping on the RTX bandwagon right now. Remember, there are still only half a dozen games on that list that have actually implemented their ray tracing / DLSS support at time of writing, and there’s still no word on when a lot of the others will be adding it in, either. Sure, there will almost certainly be more ray tracing games coming out over the ensuing months (and no doubt years that you’ll own this particular graphics card), but let’s put it this way – I’ve yet to see a ray tracing game that has convinced me 100% that I absolutely need to buy an RTX card right this very second. Metro Exodus came close, but its ray tracing is also so intensive that you really need something a lot more powerful than either the RTX 2060 and RTX 2060 Super to do it justice – and then you’re getting into silly money territory, too.

I got the graphics card from Amazon and it's not arrived so I can return; but just hearing a lot of pluses for both cards!

Negro Caesar

Superstar
Daps
Same! I ordered from 2 places, one of which is Amazon who said they're deliver "at some point" and the other place felt a bit dodgy, so I'll wait and see what comes first. At the moment that's my stumbling block.

OK thank you. So middle point was the 3700x as I just need the extra cores for my VMs, which should be OK. As for the card, I had been doing a fair amount of reading and video watching about the differences especially the ray-tracing, and the one I remember said:

I got the graphics card from Amazon and it's not arrived so I can return; but just hearing a lot of pluses for both cards!
DLSS wasn’t worth it at first. Games will start coming out using it.

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
DLSS wasn’t worth it at first. Games will start coming out using it.

Been going a bit of thinking and wondering: what’s the best bang-for-buck 2080 Super card?

I got a couple of 4K screens I’m thinking of just pushing my budge up to power

Arcavian

Him Downstairs
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Texas
I need a laptop for video editing and I was looking at an hp envy with an i7 processor on new egg
Do I really need an i9 for this?

Any recommendations would help

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
Man my build went wayward lol.

I’ve been away from Windows so long I forgot about comparability and had to spent a shyt load for some RAM that was quickly and could work properly with my motherboards day CPU

In the end my list looks like:

CPU
Ryzen 3700x

MOTHERBOARD
ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Wi-Fi

RAM
G.Skill DIMM 32 GB DDR4-3600

STORAGE

Samsung M.2 Evo 1TB

GPU

Gigabyte Radeon RTX 2070 Super Gaming 8GB

PSU

CORSAIR RM750

CASE

Fractal Design Meshify C

FAN

140mm Pure Wings 2 (for the front and moving the stock one as an exhaust at the top)