The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
Ya. What gpu are u planning on copping? Some of the beefier ones can draw like Over 300w
I don't even think a high end gpu is necessary. Tryna see if I build something for my homegirl kids since she got her oldest daughter some cheap ass laptop for Christmas and I know that playing fortnite on it won't be as good as playing on their xbox. I think a 1060 would be ok or even less. I got a 1080 11gb on mine.

ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 8GB 11Gbps OC Edition VR Ready HDMI DP DVI Gaming Graphics Card

I told my homegirl I would give them some old parts as I upgrade my build but definitely not a gpu cuz the newer ones are like 1k and mine is still fairly decent.

Thing about pc is that they can be upgraded. She can get an external hard drive to upgrade the 32gb of storage on that $150 laptop but there isn't much improving being done on that machine. That's why it's not worth going cheap on laptops cuz they won't do shyt.

Anti-Anime

fukk u weeaboo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Not Japan
I don't even think a high end gpu is necessary. Tryna see if I build something for my homegirl kids since she got her oldest daughter some cheap ass laptop for Christmas and I know that playing fortnite on it won't be as good as playing on their xbox. I think a 1060 would be ok or even less. I got a 1080 11gb on mine.

ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 8GB 11Gbps OC Edition VR Ready HDMI DP DVI Gaming Graphics Card

I told my homegirl I would give them some old parts as I upgrade my build but definitely not a gpu cuz the newer ones are like 1k and mine is still fairly decent.

Thing about pc is that they can be upgraded. She can get an external hard drive to upgrade the 32gb of storage on that $150 laptop but there isn't much improving being done on that machine. That's why it's not worth going cheap on laptops cuz they won't do shyt.

Yeah a 1060 Or 1660 is prob good enough. Especially if she's only playing shyt like fortnite at 1080p. Could prob even drop that psu to like 550 or 500 if that's the case

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
So my homegirl gave her daughter her laptop yesterday and she seemed excited when she opened it but let's see how long that lasts. I tried installing fortnite on there for her and after finally getting it to download, I got a storage error. It said it need 70gb of storage and there was only 37gb available and the whole thing had like 52gb :mindblown:. I told her that maybe an external hard drive might help but with these low as performance standards on the machine, definitely won't be the same as on their Xbox one s. I don't see the interest in that laptop lasting too long.
Fail. Return that shyt.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
Fail. Return that shyt.
She should but she hardheaded like that. I told her that everyone in their family could've chipped in and got her a better laptop. I got her a red xbox controller when they were on sale around black friday, which she was really happy to get.

shyt is an HP 14 and was like $150. Its definitely trash.

MMA

Superstar
Daps
I can't tell what's worse 1st and 2nd gen x299 chips pricing if Intel can remain profitable at half prices or x399 W-line second gen basically being a flawed product sold to us. Can't criticize nvidia when the rest act the same.

Last edited:

The Guru

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Trying to see if I can make this cheaper.

Mya Part List
There's a few things i'd suggest.
-The processor is plenty powerful but fairly old (mid 2015), you can get a cheaper one that would outperform it in games. Like a 9600k (mid 2018). You would need a different motherboard for that though, maybe an Asus z370-A or Z370-P.
-The h60 cooler in my opinion is not worth it, Cryorig H7 or a hyper 212x would perform just as well and produce less noise at half the price.
-The ssd is fine but there are cheaper options if need be.

Tunez

Lloyd Banks Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside, 2gz Up
Intel's 10th-generation Core desktop processors appear to be right around the corner, and the biggest improvements may come to those who don't splurge on the most expensive models. Leaks at Informatica Cero and VideoCardz have detailed a Comet Lake-S CPU lineup where every Core chip, from the i3 to the i9, reportedly includes Hyperthreading. You might not need need to buy a Core i7 or better to wring truly strong multitasking performance out of your system.

After that, it would be more about subtler but still welcome improvements. The flagship 3.7GHz Core i9-10900K (base clock of 3.7GHz) and its non-K variant (2.8GHz) would support a Velocity Boost feature that would hike clock speeds as long as the thermals allow. Otherwise, you'd have to make do with 'just' the regular Turbo Boost. These high-end parts would tout 10 cores and 20 total threads.

Beyond that, these would represent modest but welcome refreshes. The eight-core i7, six-core i5 and four-core i3 lineups will reportedly see clock speeds climb 100MHz to 200MHz. Higher-end CPUs would support up to 2,933MHz DDR4 memory, while the lot would feature enhanced chip and memory overclocking as well as support for 2.5Gbps Ethernet and WiFi 6.

There's no mention of when the 10th-gen lineup would appear, but Intel sometimes debuts processors at CES. We wouldn't be surprised if they're announced at the January 2020 event as a result, and that there will be a slew of upgraded PCs arriving at the same time. There's certainly pressure to act quickly. AMD's latest Ryzen processors are extremely competitive, and frequently offer more cores for the money. Intel's refresh could negate at least some of that advantage.

Engadget is now a part of Verizon Media

MMA

Superstar
Daps
Ordered the 10980xe, great gaming performance compared to 8700k/8086k setup and can’t get my hands on a 3950x

no longer personally buying amd high end market, value plummets and they screwed me over with gen 2.

Second, if you are in the market for a tv, get a 2019 oled that’s gsync compatible the difference between it and the onex is amazing. I no longer game monitor game outside of cod.

MMA

Superstar
Daps
You talking about X399?
Yes, the problem wasn’t solely the window scheduler but the way they designed the architecture. The 2nd gen 70wx/90wx are terrible in any application use beside 3D work, and virtualization but even that’s heavily capped due to limited ram. I’ll buy their high end market used from now.

When you are buying a workstation cpu you expect it to work out the bugs. I went through hell with updates trying to fix the scheduling issue, called amd representatives and filed unpaid for research/solutions - only to see the next year version basically tell me that the product was simply flawed from the jump.

On a side note for intel to get 10980xe to perform this well in gaming where it’s right there or close with the 9900k is very impressive on such a old platform.

Last edited: