The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I'm in the market to buy a new monitor this year, and in all the research I've been doing I keep running into people saying the same surprising thing over and over again:

It's almost UNIVERSAL that everyone who compares the two prefers high refresh rates (120-144Hz) over 4K resolution.

I still remember the days years ago whey they used to say the human eye couldn't even perceive beyond 48FPS.
It took me a long time to accept it (I still haven't played a 120Hz game first hand), but when nearly everyone says the same thing you start to take notice. Basically, what most people seem to be saying is that there really isn't a GPU around that can run a top tier game at full 4K 60Hz with all detail set to the max, but even if you could almost everyone who compares the two actually prefers playing the same games with the same settings at 1440p 144Hz.

I play Civ 6 on my 4K TV and my main PC monitor is still an old flickering 1200p 60Hz monitor, but I'm now leaning towards something like the 34" ultrawide LG monitors:

The combined resolution is so much lower than 4K that it should have no problem getting into ultra high FPS territory.

Actually most pc games can run max at 4K, 60fps with the 2080ti.

I have two 2080tis and with some games I can run at like 100fps, max at 4K with the dlss feature on.

Games are actually pretty optimized with the 2080ti, at least more than in the past.

And yeah, RTX is a mother fukking game changer.

I rock an Asus 4K, 144hz g-sync. shyt is nice :whew:

Edit: also, do not buy an ultra wide. Most games don’t support 21:9 well, and you’ll be playing letterboxed for nearly everything. Ultrawides are only good in theory.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I use MSI Afterburner. Other than Doom; GTA V is the only major game I tried playing w/ my pc. Imma see how Control runs.

I can tell you from my POV, you’re not gonna get 4k60 ultra :russ: I got 2080ti and 8700k, and I had to make some concessions. You can run DLSS and a sharpening filter, and it’ll almost look like native 4k.

Also I ran it with almost all RTX on, which eats up about 10 frames iirc

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
I can tell you from my POV, you’re not gonna get 4k60 ultra :russ: I got 2080ti and 8700k, and I had to make some concessions. You can run DLSS and a sharpening filter, and it’ll almost look like native 4k.

Also I ran it with almost all RTX on, which eats up about 10 frames iirc

Can you get a stable 40 or 50 FPS on max w/ all RTX?

Daps
Best Chromebook y'all recommend???

I've been looking at the Dell 3180. Just looking for a laptop with a solid battery life, fast and is durable.

Any recs?

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Can you get a stable 40 or 50 FPS on max w/ all RTX?

I haven’t played since last wk, and I don’t really count frames anymore unless I’m running a benchmark, as long as it looks good.

There’s one RTX setting I turned off, because it eats up frames for minimal visual gain. I can’t remember the setting but it’s in this vid

But everything else maxed, and DLSS at 1440p it was easily in the high 40s/50s at least from the eye test. I’ll run it after work some time this wk or this wkend with afterburner

Rell Lauren

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC
First time buying direct from a manufacturer and it'll be the last. Saved a few hundred dollars using my corporate discount, but the wait is ridiculous. Didn't know it had to be built from scratch. If I didn't have the experience I did at Best Buy, I'd have spent a little bit more to have it in my possession today.

Purchased a HP Envy x360 - 15t if it matters.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
Actually most pc games can run max at 4K, 60fps with the 2080ti.

I have two 2080tis and with some games I can run at like 100fps, max at 4K with the dlss feature on.

Games are actually pretty optimized with the 2080ti, at least more than in the past.

And yeah, RTX is a mother fukking game changer.

I rock an Asus 4K, 144hz g-sync. shyt is nice :whew:

Edit: also, do not buy an ultra wide. Most games don’t support 21:9 well, and you’ll be playing letterboxed for nearly everything. Ultrawides are only good in theory.

That's the thing...it takes MULTIPLE GPU's to get 4k above 60fps. And I'm reading over and over again that almost everyone who compares the two prefers 100+ FPS at a lower resolution to "just" 60fps at 4K. So you're spending a lot of money for little return.

As far as ultrawide, I don't have a problem with pillarboxing/black bars. A 34" 21:9 pillarboxed is equivalent in size to a 27" 16:9.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I haven’t played since last wk, and I don’t really count frames anymore unless I’m running a benchmark, as long as it looks good.

There’s one RTX setting I turned off, because it eats up frames for minimal visual gain. I can’t remember the setting but it’s in this vid

But everything else maxed, and DLSS at 1440p it was easily in the high 40s/50s at least from the eye test. I’ll run it after work some time this wk or this wkend with afterburner

Yeah, you weren’t joking about Control. No multi-gpu support either (which I guess is to be expected nowadays :francis:).

It looks good though

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
My harddrive sounds like it's about to kick it.

I already backed it up, but it's pulling up my files slow and I don't even use it to install games on it. Just for storage of media and images. I see a WD Blue 4TB going for like 75, I've already had 1 Seagate die on me, and this is going to be number 2 so I think I'm a make that switch.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
They really gouge you on monitors vs TVs, don't they?

LG 38" UltraGear Nano IPS 1ms Curved Gaming Monitor

Not quite 4k, but still $2000.
(If I win any money I'd be first in line)
It's ridiculous. I'm looking to move to a dual monitor setup in my office for video editing and moving my old one downstairs to my studio.

Just looking at the difference in price for the 1080p joints compared to the 4K ones made me go
:what: