The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Theolodius_Black

Whoopin suckas with a bag of oranges
Daps
Reppin
Brookhaven,MS to Tallyho, FL
What I put together really quick, trying to keep it to $1500...

Will be buying everything I can from Amazon though since I have credit with them...

Code:
CPU        
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor

CPU Cooler        
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler   

Motherboard        
    Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard 

Memory        
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Storage        
    Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive    

Storage        
    Western Digital Green 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Video Card        
    Asus GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card  

Case        
    Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply        
    Thermaltake 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

System Builder

I saved a little money in my upgrade by going with a 3600 to pair with my 2070 super. I also upgraded to a x570 asus tuf. It's a match made in heaven. It's your money big homie but you can certainly save a few dollars on that cpu

The Fukin Prophecy

RIP Champ
Daps
I saved a little money in my upgrade by going with a 3600 to pair with my 2070 super. I also upgraded to a x570 asus tuf. It's a match made in heaven. It's your money big homie but you can certainly save a few dollars on that cpu
I really don't know much about these new processors, that's where I really need assistance breh...

I've always been an intel guy, currently running on an i5-4670k which been holding me down for 4 year but I keep hearing AMD is the way to go now for gaming...

By 3600 I assume you are referring to RYZEN 5 which is 6 cores...Is the 3600x not worth it?

Keep in mind this pc needs to hold me down for 5 years...RYZEN 7 CPUs are running on 8 cores which I think might be more beneficial in the long run and I don't mind spending a little more for that...

Maddmike

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
The 3700x comes with a wraith prism so you wouldn't need that fan

You can get comparable ram for cheaper. I got 3200 Ballistix 32 gb for about $20 less.

You should also be able to find a PSU cheaper. I got a corsair RMx 750 for that price.

The best tips would find what you want and add it your Amazon wish list. There is also an extention on Chrome where you can track an items price or you can use the website camelcamel. Id also follow the subreddit buildapcsales. Amazon will pricematch Newegg, bestbuy, and most other stores. You can set up alerts so they come directly to your phone so you hop on deals.

Theolodius_Black

Daps
Reppin
I really don't know much about these new processors, that's where I really need assistance breh...

I've always been an intel guy, currently running on an i5-4670k which been holding me down for 4 year but I keep hearing AMD is the way to go now for gaming...

By 3600 I assume you are referring to RYZEN 5 which is 6 cores...Is the 3600x not worth it?

Keep in mind this pc needs to hold me down for 5 years...RYZEN 7 CPUs are running on 8 cores which I think might be more beneficial in the long run and I don't mind spending a little more for that...
Imo the 3600x isn't worth it because the 3600 is just an overclock away from being on par with it.

I'm gonna go ahead and say this will hold you for a good long while depending on what resolutions you'll be playing it. For the foreseeable future, I'll be playing in 1440p so I'm good for a while. I can't really envision a scenario where the 3600 would bottleneck something in the mid-upper tier in 5 years and it also comes with the wraith cooler, just not the led version(i got too much rgb as it is:russ:)

You def couldn't go wrong with the 3700x by any stretch but with a 2070, for the sake of saving money, you'd be fine with a 3600

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
I got a rtx 2080 ti; 16 gb of ram, and a ryzen 2700x cpu. Why can't I get 60+ FPS in GTA V?

I'm in the market to buy a new monitor this year, and in all the research I've been doing I keep running into people saying the same surprising thing over and over again:

It's almost UNIVERSAL that everyone who compares the two prefers high refresh rates (120-144Hz) over 4K resolution.

I still remember the days years ago whey they used to say the human eye couldn't even perceive beyond 48FPS.
It took me a long time to accept it (I still haven't played a 120Hz game first hand), but when nearly everyone says the same thing you start to take notice. Basically, what most people seem to be saying is that there really isn't a GPU around that can run a top tier game at full 4K 60Hz with all detail set to the max, but even if you could almost everyone who compares the two actually prefers playing the same games with the same settings at 1440p 144Hz.

I play Civ 6 on my 4K TV and my main PC monitor is still an old flickering 1200p 60Hz monitor, but I'm now leaning towards something like the 34" ultrawide LG monitors:

The combined resolution is so much lower than 4K that it should have no problem getting into ultra high FPS territory.

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
@KalKal
There are graphics cards that can run high end games at 4K and great frame rates. I was playing Doom at 4K; max settings, and at 110+ frames on a 2080 ti.

The Fukin Prophecy

RIP Champ
Daps
I got a rtx 2080 ti; 16 gb of ram, and a ryzen 2700x cpu. Why can't I get 60+ FPS in GTA V?
You running any mods?

GTA games are notoriously RAM/CPU intensive specifically the max details and draw distance settings...

From a coding standpoint IV was complete disaster of a port (Rockstar had another studio do the PC port) but V is far better coded and much more stable so you shouldn't be having issues hitting 60 FPS without mods...

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
You running any mods?

GTA games are notoriously RAM/CPU intensive specifically the max details and draw distance settings...

From a coding standpoint IV was complete disaster of a port (Rockstar had another studio do the PC port) but V is far better coded and much more stable so you shouldn't be having issues hitting 60 FPS without mods...

No mods

Theolodius_Black

Daps
Reppin
Are you running afterburner or anything like that that will show your cpu/gpu usage percentage?

Edit: the reason i asked is because the usage rate of your cpu/gpu might give some clues

And i saw you say doom runs fine. Is gta the only game that has low frame rates for you?

Last edited:

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
Are you running afterburner or anything like that that will show your cpu/gpu usage percentage?

Edit: the reason i asked is because the usage rate of your cpu/gpu might give some clues

And i saw you say doom runs fine. Is gta the only game that has low frame rates for you?

I use MSI Afterburner. Other than Doom; GTA V is the only major game I tried playing w/ my pc. Imma see how Control runs.