The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

MMA

Superstar
Daps
Hmmm I'll mostly be using it for 3d rendering (octane)

Have a laptop but thinking about a rig
1070 or rx580
More vram the better

Very nice, I’ve been dabbling in 3d work too
Depending on how heavy your workload is I’d get a Ryzen 7 or wait for Ryzen 9 or threadripper + a 8gb gpu

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
1070 or rx580
More vram the better

Very nice, I’ve been dabbling in 3d work too
Depending on how heavy your workload is I’d get a Ryzen 7 or wait for Ryzen 9 or threadripper + a 8gb gpu
The 1070 and even 1060 (6gb) have the rx580 beat
UserBenchmark: AMD RX 580 vs Nvidia GTX 1070
That's why I was wondering if the 1060 is enough since I see it on sale for dirt cheap or if I should just bite the bullet and get another 8gb (1070)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
I’m super into spec-ing out builds.

Sometimes, when I’m bored, I look at how much computer X would cost me with components A, B, C

I normally spec out extreme overkill builds, but it would be fun to do builds within certain parameters. :ehh:
That'll be dope.
Did some research Civ 6 is very CPU intensive so I suggest at least 6 cores/12 threads
I would get a Ryzen 5 2600 or 2600x (this is better for long haul) or if your budget can afford a i7 8700K - see if you live close to a microcenter
You need to give us a budget before I can mock up a build
$1,500.

But I can afford more. I don't really know what's considered moderate or expensive these days.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..

MMA

Superstar
Daps
The 1070 and even 1060 (6gb) have the rx580 beat
UserBenchmark: AMD RX 580 vs Nvidia GTX 1070
That's why I was wondering if the 1060 is enough since I see it on sale for dirt cheap or if I should just bite the bullet and get another 8gb (1070)
That site isn't accurate but obviously a 1070 is better than a rx 580.
If you are only doing octane I would pick the 1060 over the rx 580 because of AMD gpu's have issues with octane
but if you are using multiple 3d software like blender, solidworks rx 580 is better dollar/performance value than the 1060 and 1070 (new)

That'll be dope.

$1,500.

But I can afford more. I don't really know what's considered moderate or expensive these days.
What are you comfortable with? big build or small build, do you want a new monitor - what are you looking for in one?
Civilization is a weird game, it seems even at low settings with high end cards its frame rate struggles at 1080p. If that's the case I would build a generic pc (i5 8400 or i5 8600K (will cost 100 more). And a 1070 or rtx 2060. Anything else is overkill for what this game is.

I'm not going to advocate you build an expensive gaming PC (1000 dollars plus) to play this game only.
I’m super into spec-ing out builds.

Sometimes, when I’m bored, I look at how much computer X would cost me with components A, B, C

I normally spec out extreme overkill builds, but it would be fun to do builds within certain parameters. :ehh:
you can build a 1500 dollar pc?
1,500 not 15,000 breh :mjgrin: I wanna see how you spec this out:russ:

Last edited:

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
What are you comfortable with? big build or small build, do you want a new monitor - what are you looking for in one?
Civilization is a weird game, it seems even at low settings with high end cards its frame rate struggles at 1080p. If that's the case I would build a generic pc (i5 8400 or i5 8600K (will cost 100 more). And a 1070 or rtx 2060. Anything else is overkill for what this game is.

I'm not going to advocate you build an expensive gaming PC (1000 dollars plus) to play this game only.
Small build? You mean big or small as in the actual size? Here is the size of my current case (LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62): 19.61" x 8.43" x 19.53" (Dimensions (H x W x D)). I'm good with anything up to that size.

Yes I want a new monitor. Possibly two...why? I can work from home with this device called mobikey by remote keying into my computer at work. At work I have three monitors.

Although I do play Civ 6, I'm not thinking of it as a gaming PC...if that makes any sense.

Okay, let's say $2,000 then.

MMA

Superstar
Daps
Small build? You mean big or small as in the actual size? Here is the size of my current case (LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62): 19.61" x 8.43" x 19.53" (Dimensions (H x W x D)). I'm good with anything up to that size.

Yes I want a new monitor. Possibly two...why? I can work from home with this device called mobikey by remote keying into my computer at work. At work I have three monitors.

Although I do play Civ 6, I'm not thinking of it as a gaming PC...if that makes any sense.

Okay, let's say $2,000 then.
You aren't making it easier, okay answer these questions - pulled from reddit buildapc
What kind of display do you want and what kind of work do you do? Does it require a lot of ram usage (16gb or 32gb or 64gb? Does it require a lot of cpu usage, what cpu/ram/gpu setup do you use at work

>**What will you be doing with this PC? Be as specific as possible, and include specific games or programs you will be using.**

* Replace this text with answer.

>**What is your maximum budget before rebates/shipping/taxes?**

>**When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Note: beyond a week or two from today means any build you receive will be out of date when you want to buy.**

>**What, exactly, do you need included in the budget? (Tower/OS/monitor/keyboard/mouse/etc\)**

>**Which country (and state/province) will you be purchasing the parts in? If you're in US, do you have access to a Microcenter location?**

>**If reusing any parts (including monitor(s)/keyboard/mouse/etc), what parts will you be reusing? Brands and models are appreciated.**

>**Will you be overclocking? If yes, are you interested in overclocking right away, or down the line? CPU and/or GPU?**

>**Are there any specific features or items you want/need in the build? (ex: SSD, large amount of storage or a RAID setup, CUDA or OpenCL support, etc)**

>**Do you have any specific case preferences (Size like ITX/microATX/mid-tower/full-tower, styles, colors, window or not, LED lighting, etc), or a particular color theme preference for the components?**

>**Do you need a copy of Windows included in the budget? If you do need one included, do you have a preference?**

>**Extra info or particulars:**

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
You aren't making it easier, okay answer these questions - pulled from reddit buildapc
What kind of display do you want and what kind of work do you do? Does it require a lot of ram usage (16gb or 32gb or 64gb? Does it require a lot of cpu usage, what cpu/ram/gpu setup do you use at work

>**What will you be doing with this PC? Be as specific as possible, and include specific games or programs you will be using.**

>**When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Note: beyond a week or two from today means any build you receive will be out of date when you want to buy.**

>**What, exactly, do you need included in the budget? (Tower/OS/monitor/keyboard/mouse/etc\)**

>**Which country (and state/province) will you be purchasing the parts in? If you're in US, do you have access to a Microcenter location?**

>**If reusing any parts (including monitor(s)/keyboard/mouse/etc), what parts will you be reusing? Brands and models are appreciated.**

>**Will you be overclocking? If yes, are you interested in overclocking right away, or down the line? CPU and/or GPU?**

>**Are there any specific features or items you want/need in the build? (ex: SSD, large amount of storage or a RAID setup, CUDA or OpenCL support, etc)**

>**Do you have any specific case preferences (Size like ITX/microATX/mid-tower/full-tower, styles, colors, window or not, LED lighting, etc), or a particular color theme preference for the components?**

>**Do you need a copy of Windows included in the budget? If you do need one included, do you have a preference?**

I did one of these on the Tom's Hardware website 10 years ago.

>**What kind of display do you want and what kind of work do you do? Does it require a lot of ram usage (16gb or 32gb or 64gb? Does it require a lot of cpu usage, what cpu/ram/gpu setup do you use at work

I'm an accountant and I don't work from home a lot, just every now and then. But I want to start doing it more. We have laptops at work. I don't know the specs but they are not up to date. I'll have to see when I get there in the morning. For my current home pc, I have 8 GB of RAM right now...so more than that but I want the chance to upgrade the RAM in the future.

Mostly non-gaming (except Civ 6). Streaming videos, browsing internet, regular pc shyt.

$2000. Flexible though.

Lets say a month from now.

Include everything except the OS. I have windows 10...and I hope there is a way to transfer it. I got the windows 10 through the free upgrade.

United States. Virginia. I'll be purchasing the parts online. No Microcenter or Frys near me.

I'm giving away my current pc build. Taking everything it to my parents at some point.

No.

An SSD drive was recommended earlier. Don't now what the other shyt is.

My current case is a mid-tower (they call it an 'Advance Mid Tower'). It could fit both ATX and microATX motherboards. Yes to a window and LED lighting is fine but not necessary.. No particular color but if I had to choose then something darker...like a blue.

I have Windows 10. Got it with the free upgrade years back.

None at the moment.

MMA

Superstar
Daps
I did one of these on the Tom's Hardware website 10 years ago.

>**What kind of display do you want and what kind of work do you do? Does it require a lot of ram usage (16gb or 32gb or 64gb? Does it require a lot of cpu usage, what cpu/ram/gpu setup do you use at work

I'm an accountant and I don't work from home a lot, just every now and then. But I want to start doing it more. We have laptops at work. I don't know the specs but they are not up to date. I'll have to see when I get there in the morning. For my current home pc, I have 8 GB of RAM right now...so more than that but I want the chance to upgrade the RAM in the future.

Mostly non-gaming (except Civ 6). Streaming videos, browsing internet, regular pc shyt.

$2000. Flexible though.

Lets say a month from now.

Include everything except the OS. I have windows 10...and I hope there is a way to transfer it. I got the windows 10 through the free upgrade.

United States. Virginia. I'll be purchasing the parts online. No Microcenter or Frys near me.

I'm giving away my current pc build. Taking everything it to my parents at some point.

No.

An SSD drive was recommended earlier. Don't now what the other shyt is.

My current case is a mid-tower (they call it an 'Advance Mid Tower'). It could fit both ATX and microATX motherboards. Yes to a window and LED lighting is fine but not necessary.. No particular color but if I had to choose then something darker...like a blue.

I have Windows 10. Got it with the free upgrade years back.

None at the moment.
System Builder - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core, GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE, Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker

Here's the build, when you look at the monitors - pick whatever you feel is more suitable for you. Civilization 6 allows for ultrawide settings, so I thought it would be a better option for you if you prefer having 2 displays but in 1. If you prefer dual 27 inch monitor, get a 1440p or 1080p monitor with the other monitor I gave you.
Only pick up the rtx 2070 at price (under 470). If not possible, get a rtx 2060 under 400.
Add whatever 7200 rpm hard drive size you believe you need (if needed)

If you type alot and like the clicky feel get a cherry brown (quieter) or a better feel but loud (cherry blue) keyboard. I added the best gaming mouse you can get vs price. If you solely want a gaming driven keyboard get a cherry mx red keyboard. Coolermaster, Corsair is a good starting point for gaming keyboards. Brown cherry are best median between typing and gaming.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
That site isn't accurate but obviously a 1070 is better than a rx 580.
If you are only doing octane I would pick the 1060 over the rx 580 because of AMD gpu's have issues with octane
but if you are using multiple 3d software like blender, solidworks rx 580 is better dollar/performance value than the 1060 and 1070 (new)

:russ:

I got some time in-between a few of my studies tomorrow at work. I'm gonna go in :mjlit:

Edit: We doing used parts as well? :jbhmm:

Last edited: