The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
I think Steam supports it. look at the controller settings in Steam
Yeah I was using it on steam but the controls were all different. Like the start button was the left trigger. Was weird. Seems like the mapping is off a bit but still something that's interesting. I know they had something where stream games were streaming to the xbox, or maybe that's just regular pc games. Not really sure. Haven't used my xbox in months.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Yeah I was using it on steam but the controls were all different. Like the start button was the left trigger. Was weird. Seems like the mapping is off a bit but still something that's interesting.
did you enable it in the settings?

0IFFKFr.jpg

after that you can remap everything with Steam's Controller Configuration tool

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
did you enable it in the settings?

0IFFKFr.jpg

after that you can remap everything with Steam's Controller Configuration tool
Good looks. I'll have to check it when I get home later. I usually mess with an xbox for pc controller but let me look into that.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Okay guys...I've neglected my PC. I got lazy. I haven't cleaned it in about 2 years, probably more.

I built it myself, my second PC build...but that was 9 years ago.

Here are the components:

--------------------------------------------------------
CPU – i7-860

MOBO – ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

GPU – SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5670
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood) DirectX 11 100289L 1GB 128-Bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Newegg.com

CASE - Lian Li PC-K62
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 Black 0.8 mm SECC, Plastic + Mesh ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

PSU - CORSAIR 650TX 650W 80+ certified
CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Power Supply - Newegg.com

HDD - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB 'Bare Drive'
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 ST1000DM005/HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com

RAM - 4GB (2 x 2GB)
CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
Sony Optiarc Model AD-7241S-0B DVD Burner with LightScribe Black - Newegg.com

DVD Burner – Sony Optiarc Black 'OEM'
Sony Optiarc Model AD-7240S-0B DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black - Newegg.com

Operating System – Windows 7 Home Premium Full

Monitor – 23” Samsung HDMI 2 ms 1920 x 1080
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...Gray/9511156.p?id=1218118316585&skuId=9511156

Keyboard and mouse combo - Microsoft Business Hardware Packhttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002WPS76/ref=oss_product

Card reader - Koutech IO All-in-one USB
Koutech IO-RCM621 Card Reader - Newegg.com

5.25 to 3.5 Mounting Frame for card reader -

I have since upgraded to Windows 10 and now have 8 GM of RAM. Other than that, everything remains the same. It works okay I guess but I noticed some issues with it, like it getting slower and not "waking up" properly after I put it to sleep when I go to work.

So Question: Should I just go ahead and do a new build? Or go through a thorough cleaning and upgrade. If upgrade, what should I be upgrading?

Thanks for any input...

MMA

Superstar
Daps
Okay guys...I've neglected my PC. I got lazy. I haven't cleaned it in about 2 years, probably more.

I built it myself, my second PC build...but that was 9 years ago.

Here are the components:

CPU – i7-860

MOBO – ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

GPU – SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5670
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood) DirectX 11 100289L 1GB 128-Bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Newegg.com

CASE - Lian Li PC-K62
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 Black 0.8 mm SECC, Plastic + Mesh ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

PSU - CORSAIR 650TX 650W 80+ certified
CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Power Supply - Newegg.com

HDD - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB 'Bare Drive'
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 ST1000DM005/HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com

RAM - 4GB (2 x 2GB)
CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
Sony Optiarc Model AD-7241S-0B DVD Burner with LightScribe Black - Newegg.com

DVD Burner – Sony Optiarc Black 'OEM'
Sony Optiarc Model AD-7240S-0B DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black - Newegg.com

Operating System – Windows 7 Home Premium Full

Monitor – 23” Samsung HDMI 2 ms 1920 x 1080
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+23"+Flat-Panel+LED+Monitor+-+Charcoal+Gray/9511156.p?id=1218118316585&skuId=9511156

Keyboard and mouse combo - Microsoft Business Hardware Packhttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002WPS76/ref=oss_product

Card reader - Koutech IO All-in-one USB
Koutech IO-RCM621 Card Reader - Newegg.com

5.25 to 3.5 Mounting Frame for card reader -

I have since upgraded to Windows 10 and now have 8 GM of RAM. Other than that, everything remains the same. It works okay I guess but I noticed some issues with it, like it getting slower and not "waking up" properly after I put it to sleep when I go to work.

So Question: Should I just go ahead and do a new build? Or go through a thorough cleaning and upgrade. If upgrade, what should I be upgrading?

Thanks for any input...

Your pc is :flabbynsick: at it's finest

I would upgrade your PC but if you aren't really seeing issues with it I would upgrade your current hard drive to an SSD (Get a samsung ssd (860 Evo) get at least a 250GB SSD, download the samsung magician software for it - it will move all your files and os onto the SSD to fix your timing poblem). If you aren't happy with it after that then upgrade your PC entirely.

Obv do all the testing after getting the SSD and transferring your OS over like all of your software, games etc - if you aren't happy with performance upgrade the PC

Last edited:

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Your pc is :flabbynsick: at it's finest

I would upgrade your PC but if you aren't really seeing issues with it I would upgrade your current hard drive to an SSD (Get a samsung ssd (860 Evo) get at least a 250GB SSD, download the samsung magician software for it - it will move all your files and os onto the SSD to fix your timing poblem). If you aren't happy with it after that then upgrade your PC entirely.

Obv do all the testing after getting the SSD and transferring your OS over like all of your software, games etc - if you aren't happy with performance upgrade the PC
Thanks.

My initial thought was just to do a whole new rig altogether. It's been damn near a decade. Still thinking...I'm so out of the loop.

MMA

Superstar
Daps
Thanks.

My initial thought was just to do a whole new rig altogether. It's been damn near a decade. Still thinking...I'm so out of the loop.
Don't mind asking more questions. We are here for that. A lot of guys aren't heavy gamers anymore but still use a PC to do regular things online.

So this is basically the structure I want you to follow
1) Buy Samsung SSD, download Samsung Magician for OS transfer. Clean out your PC, remove the cpu cooler and reinstall new thermal paste (buy this too), reattach cpu cooler. See if the computer does everything you need better, if it doesn't follow step 2.
2) Give us a budget. If you are gamer, please tell us the kind of games you play on PC and whether or not you have a gaming monitor (100hz or more). If you don't have a gaming monitor but plan on adding that to your budget (Your build if you are a gaming should be focused/centered on the monitor). Tell us how long you plan on having this PC and if you do plan on upgrading parts over the years what is your additionally budget for the time.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Don't mind asking more questions. We are here for that. A lot of guys aren't heavy gamers anymore but still use a PC to do regular things online.

So this is basically the structure I want you to follow
1) Buy Samsung SSD, download Samsung Magician for OS transfer. Clean out your PC, remove the cpu cooler and reinstall new thermal paste (buy this too), reattach cpu cooler. See if the computer does everything you need better, if it doesn't follow step 2.
2) Give us a budget. If you are gamer, please tell us the kind of games you play on PC and whether or not you have a gaming monitor (100hz or more). If you don't have a gaming monitor but plan on adding that to your budget (Your build if you are a gaming should be focused/centered on the monitor). Tell us how long you plan on having this PC and if you do plan on upgrading parts over the years what is your additionally budget for the time.
Any recommendations on which one? Also, I think I'm just going to build a new one. I just have the itch to do it again. I'll clean my current one out and give it to my dad or something since he's been asking for a another computer anyway (his is older than mine is).

I game on PlayStation mostly. I do play Civilization on the PC and maybe another game or two but that's pretty much it and it's not frequent.

Yes, I plan on upgrading the parts as needed and I plan on having it for at least 5 years. Hell, my current one is on year 9.

My budget? I don't want it to be too expensive but then again what is considered an expensive build? I'm not broke lol but if a budget build can do the job then so be it.

Last edited:

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Any recommendations on which one? Also, I think I'm just going to build a new one. I just have the itch to do it again. I'll clean my current one out and give it to my dad or something since he's been asking for a another computer anyway (his is older than mine is).

I game on PlayStation mostly. I do play Civilization on the PC and maybe another game or two but that's pretty much it and it's not frequent.

Yes, I plan on upgrading the parts as needed and I plan on having it for at least 5 years. Hell, my current one is on year 9.

My budget? I don't want it to be too expensive but then again what is considered an expensive build? I'm not broke lol but if a budget build can do the job then so be it.
@MMA Mo and others. How about doing something like this for the thread:

https://lifehacker.com/the-best-pcs-you-can-build-for-300-600-and-1200-5840963

That article is 3 years old though so probably out of date but I like the concept.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
@MMA Mo and others. How about doing something like this for the thread:

https://lifehacker.com/the-best-pcs-you-can-build-for-300-600-and-1200-5840963

That article is 3 years old though so probably out of date but I like the concept.
I’m super into spec-ing out builds.

Sometimes, when I’m bored, I look at how much computer X would cost me with components A, B, C

I normally spec out extreme overkill builds, but it would be fun to do builds within certain parameters. :ehh:

MMA

Superstar
Daps

Did some research Civ 6 is very CPU intensive so I suggest at least 6 cores/12 threads
I would get a Ryzen 5 2600 or 2600x (this is better for long haul) or if your budget can afford a i7 8700K - see if you live close to a microcenter
You need to give us a budget before I can mock up a build