The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Ray-Tracing :ld:

It’s cool, in theory, but not worth the performance hit. The 3DMark ray-tracing benchmark is pretty cool though.

Also, overclocking my gpus is not worth it. I got a 10fps gain in Firestrike, but I was already getting like 225 FPS. So a 5% increase I guess. That’s not really noticeable. And Nvidia says that if you over volt your shyt, the lifespan goes from 5 years to 1. :huhldup:

MMA

Superstar
Daps
I copped that Asus 4K 144hz, g-sync HDR monitor today :whew:

I'm still getting used to the 27", but 4K, 144hz, HDR is a game changer. :wow:

But of course AC:Odyssey doesn't support SLI. :francis:
Microcenter has it for 1700 I believe still, I'd return that shyt and wait for this
ASUS ROG Announces New Strix XG HDR Gaming Monitor Lineup

xg438q - 4k 120hz 43 inch monitor. Will come with display port so we can enable g-sync on it unlike larger size freesync displays (TV's).

Funny, I mainly game on my Tv's now with the pc's instead of the pg27uq - ultra 4K on a 55/65 inch is truly amazing. A much better experience after sitting for long hours in my office.
Too bad the gsync tv's cost 5K

Ray-Tracing :ld:

It’s cool, in theory, but not worth the performance hit. The 3DMark ray-tracing benchmark is pretty cool though.

Also, overclocking my gpus is not worth it. I got a 10fps gain in Firestrike, but I was already getting like 225 FPS. So a 5% increase I guess. That’s not really noticeable. And Nvidia says that if you over volt your shyt, the lifespan goes from 5 years to 1. :huhldup:
Too early release for ray-tracing is just Nvidia keeping their foot in the game where AMD might not have the best graphics but they are angling themselves in every direction of the market especially with next gen consoles. That's why Jensen was so mad after CES about the Vega 7(3) to me, he assumed they were going to introduce Navi which would kill their breadwinner (lower end market) so they enabled freesync and priced the rtx 2060 at 350 instead of 400-500, when they did not have to at the very moment to keep afloat in sales.

Last edited:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Microcenter has it for 1700 I believe still, I'd return that shyt and wait for this
ASUS ROG Announces New Strix XG HDR Gaming Monitor Lineup

xg438q - 4k 120hz 43 inch monitor. Will come with display port so we can enable g-sync on it unlike larger size freesync displays (TV's).

Funny, I mainly game on my Tv's now with the pc's instead of the pg27uq - ultra 4K on a 55/65 inch is truly amazing. A much better experience after sitting for long hours in my office.
Too bad the gsync tv's cost 5K

Too early release for ray-tracing is just Nvidia keeping their foot in the game where AMD might not have the best graphics but they are angling themselves in every direction of the market especially with next gen consoles. That's why Jensen was so mad after CES about the Vega 7(4) to me, he assumed they were going to introduce Navi which would kill their breadwinner (lower end market) so they enabled freesync and priced the rtx 2060 at 350 instead of 400-500, when they did not have to at the very moment to keep afloat in sales.
That 43” looks very nice, but it would be too big though. 32” was almost too big for me (almost). I really wish they were releasing a 32” 4K, 144hz g-sync.

I may try to get a very long hdmi cable and try gaming off my 55” 4K OLED. I’ll use a wireless XB1 controller. I probably need 50’ though :patrice:

I’m thinking of buying a new LG 4K OLED, as they are finally hitting 120hz at 4K. It seems like a better, and cheaper, alternative to that 65” g-sync

MMA

Superstar
Daps
That 43” looks very nice, but it would be too big though. 32” was almost too big for me (almost). I really wish they were releasing a 32” 4K, 144hz g-sync.

I may try to get a very long hdmi cable and try gaming off my 55” 4K OLED. I’ll use a wireless XB1 controller. I probably need 50’ though :patrice:

I’m thinking of buying a new LG 4K OLED, as they are finally hitting 120hz at 4K. It seems like a better, and cheaper, alternative to that 65” g-sync
43 inch in 4K scales far better than 27 inch. 27 isn't enough to appreciate 4K gameplay and it's the only larger display that'll give us adaptive sync. It's a beautiful experience playing even in 4K 60hz on a tv. Get the long hdmi breh
5K for a non oled TV :mjlol:

The new x299 rog rampage vi extreme omega cost 750 dollars. Intel and Nvidia new profit margins must be wild :picard:

Last edited:

LurkerLost1

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NC

This is my plan as well, LG has upped production so prices on these should be even better when they finally drop. Make sure if you do get a long HDMI that it's certified bc all cables aren't alike. Think the new hdmi 2.1 cables are out and have higher transfer speeds so they wont be an issue.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I havnt played a single game in months.. I mean I havnt even loaded up a game at all... I was going to build a nice computer late last year when the new cards came out but as I get older I ask whats the point :damn:

Basically I played WoW for 1 month and overwatch for around 2-3 months in 2018.. I havnt played shyt :damn:

MMA

Superstar
Daps
what gpu requires 750w?
vega 64

I havnt played a single game in months.. I mean I havnt even loaded up a game at all... I was going to build a nice computer late last year when the new cards came out but as I get older I ask whats the point :damn:

Basically I played WoW for 1 month and overwatch for around 2-3 months in 2018.. I havnt played shyt :damn:
until you see serious cpu bottleneck, only upgrade your graphic card throughout the years then.
funny, playing a lot more games this year than previous years than doing other things during my free time.
----
After bashing it and probably won't recommend anyone else to do but, buying a vega 7(3) because Nvidia adaptive sync (freesync) doesn't work over hdmi (only works with displayport) which is needed for TV gaming (Samsung Tv freesync gaming). My eyes cannot unsee tearing especially in 4K

It doesn't even support Xfire, they are saying :mjlol:

Barnett114

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Nvidia adaptive sync (freesync) doesn't work over hdmi (only works with displayport)

Adaptive Sync over HDMI is something added, hence the term Freesync and why only AMD cards support it

Adaptive Sync over HDMI isn't part of the spec, NVIDIA is only supporting VESA DisplayPort standard.

Daps
Reppin
Lwo Lakeset
I forgot AMD was still making cards that require a nuclear reactor :mjlol:

Alot of builds I see use a 650 as total consumption doesn't seem to go above 550 but I don't want to risk it.

Edit- after sending the 650 back to Amazon and buying a 750 the Vega 64+ I was planning on getting has gone back up in price :mjlol:

I've got one saved on eBay that I'm watching used but I'm probably just going to cop the Nvidia 2060 and call it a day.

I see the standard edition comes without a usb type c port but my mother board has one so this should be fine for VR right?

Last edited:

MMA

Superstar
Daps
Confession, I might (am) be a AMD fanboy :mjlol:

This shyt is Vega Frontier Edition Part 2 with better drivers to actually game on

Still ordered this garbage. Not even mad at the performance in gaming but the workstation difference between it and older vega is embarrassing. Sell both my v64, this is damn right embarrassing and useless.

Last edited: