The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Can anyone provide some pointers for this issue my friend is facing. He built a new system a few weeks ago(Ryzen 5 2700X, GTX 2080 Ti, Asus Rog Crosshair Hero VII, 16GB DDR4 RAM). Lately his system will shut down randomly and at first I said it's gotta be something overheating. The Power supply is an 800w Plus Gold I believe. His CPU was overclocked at first but I set it to default clock speed, and monitored the temps in game and after about a few COD matches while the game was finishing and showing the scores the system shut down. The GPU temp was around 71~74c and CPU lower. He has adequate cooling(4 front case fans pulling in air, top case mounted fan blowing air out as well as rear exhaust fan. He had one mounted directly underneath the GPU on the bottom of the case blowing in air so at first I told him try removing it because I wasn't sure if the GPU wasn't blowing out air but it seems like it's pulling in air so removing that bottom fan didn't make a difference really.

What could be the issue? I couldn't stay much longer to check it out but it couldn't have been the temps since I saw the temp right before it shut down and it wasn't near the rated temps(89c for the GPU I believe.)
Take a look at the power supply while it’s on. Make sure the fan is operating properly and throwing out air.

Well ventilated area of course. Does it usually happen when he is in a game or it has happened when he has just been on the desktop?

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Take a look at the power supply while it’s on. Make sure the fan is operating properly and throwing out air.

I'd have to go over there later to see. It was a brand new one that he switched out when he bought his RGB lights a few days after it was built. I don't remember the make but I believe it was a 800W 80 Plus Gold one.

Well ventilated area of course. Does it usually happen when he is in a game or it has happened when he has just been on the desktop?
It happens when he's gaming. It turned off while he was in AC:O max settings. I first thought "overheating.." but then I monitored the temps this time while trying out COD and it turned off with the temps safely below the max temps for the GPU(I think it's safe below 89c).
I suspect it's probably the RAM. I remember messing with the XMP profile when it was built but I haven't changed it to defaults.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I finally have all of my components :blessed:

DRlQCQS.jpg

pqGKK6w.jpg

zEsoF6q.jpg

ktfHkEX.jpg

I start building tomorrow :lupe:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
I'd have to go over there later to see. It was a brand new one that he switched out when he bought his RGB lights a few days after it was built. I don't remember the make but I believe it was a 800W 80 Plus Gold one.

It happens when he's gaming. It turned off while he was in AC:O max settings. I first thought "overheating.." but then I monitored the temps this time while trying out COD and it turned off with the temps safely below the max temps for the GPU(I think it's safe below 89c).
I suspect it's probably the RAM. I remember messing with the XMP profile when it was built but I haven't changed it to defaults.
RAM is never out of the question, but that is starting to sound like a serious hardware failure.

Motherboard or PSU. Try reseating everything to see if that helps at all.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
I gotta admit something to my brehs in here. That LG Gram looks sick, but it's an LG...LAPTOP. I have never had an issue with their other stuff, but a computer? :patrice:

The fact that it's so light AND a 15" screen with the full 1-9 keyboard as well is NUTS.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
I got my paint at the store today. I’m turning my case into a work of art :Baby1:

shout out to @Orbital-Fetus for the custom smilie :salute:
Have you painted a case before? If not and you have not started...strongly consider taking it to a car shop as they are experienced in painting on those surfaces and it will come out looking very crisp if you are uncomfortable.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Have you painted a case before? If not and you have not started...strongly consider taking it to a car shop as they are experienced in painting on those surfaces and it will come out looking very crisp if you are uncomfortable.
Yeah, I haven’t started yet. I’ll stop by the car shop tomorrow. Thanks

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps

what a fukkin non-answer :stopitslime:

Till this very day Red Dead Redemption NOT being on PC is absurd.

I have a theory about this. Wait for RDR2 sales to start drying up...then announce a “remaster” for the first available on the XB1/PS4 and finally on the PC both come out relatively close to each other.

Never put it past those guys. They have been making a killing off GTA V for more than half a decade now :russ: