The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Barnett114

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
The more that I think about it, 1000 dollars isn't too bad for the price. The issue here is the 1080 Ti was cheaper than it should of been for how ahead of it's time it was.

:patrice:

Based on what? The 10 series had already been out 10 months by time it launched.

If AMD is losing money on a (original price) 500/600 dollar Rx vega 56/64

Their margins were razor thin because of HBM memory. That's a gamble AMD willingly chose.

and the original price for the 1080 was 600. The 1080 Ti should of been a 750-800 dollar card.

:patrice: The Founders Edition originally launched for $699 and AIBs couldn't even be had at the $549 launch price for months.

The 1080 Ti should of been a 750-800 dollar card.

This is why were in this mess now. AMD can't compete and people are justifying gauging.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Thank you for calling me dumb :mjlol: I couldn't even return it was too late :mjcry:

I'm in the same boat with SLI...spent about another 700 on an extra 1080 ti and virtually no game i play supports sli and the ones that do just the one 1080 ti is powerful enough to get me around 60 fps in 4k...and i got a gsync monitor...buttery smooth but going above 60 fps is doing nothing for me :mjlol::mjcry:...that second card is pretty much 700 dollar paperweight :mjlol:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I'm in the same boat with SLI...spent about another 700 on an extra 1080 ti and virtually no game i play supports sli and the ones that do just the one 1080 ti is powerful enough to get me around 60 fps in 4k...and i got a gsync monitor...buttery smooth but going above 60 fps is doing nothing for me :mjlol::mjcry:...that second card is pretty much 700 dollar paperweight :mjlol:
My second card is a paperweight too, but even worse it’s $1200 Titan X Pascal :mjcry:

I fukked around and preordered two 2080tis, knowing damn well that only a few games will support nvlink (the new sli).

Bu, bu, Mordor: Shadow of War, the Witcher 3, and Far Cry 5 all work in sli. :blessed:

(But my other 1500 games don’t support it :pachaha: :snoop:).

My 3DMark scores will be marvelous though :jawalrus:
:mjcry:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
The more that I think about it, 1000 dollars isn't too bad for the price. The issue here is the 1080 Ti was cheaper than it should of been for how ahead of it's time it was.
also the 1080ti came out almost a year after the 1080

for the last three nvidia gens the x80 and the Titan came out around the same time, then the x80ti card came later, fitting somewhere in between

this gen the Titan V really isn't a consumer gaming card. that's why I said in the other thread that the 2080ti is basically the Titan this gen. thing is that doesn't leave room for them to squeeze another card in between the 2080 and 2080ti, but I guess they could come up with a new suffix... "2080xt" or some shyt

MMA

Superstar
Daps
Based on what? The 10 series had already been out 10 months by time it launched.
Their margins were razor thin because of HBM memory. That's a gamble AMD willingly chose.
:patrice: The Founders Edition originally launched for $699 and AIBs couldn't even be had at the $549 launch price for months.
This is why were in this mess now. AMD can't compete and people are justifying gauging.
Just look at the performance jump the 1080 ti for 699 was a bargain. It should of been priced 100-200 dollars more.

You are right AMD Radeon are idiots, or my honest guess like the Vega Frontier - they made hybrid mining cards and fell on their ass creating it.

I'm just saying if Nvidia was consistent between the 980 ti and 1080 ti we wouldn't be complaining and would have expected this. 1080 for 600 is a joke, it should of been a 550 card and 1080ti 750, 800 AIB. The 1080ti 700 dollars but 1200 dollar Titan XP? The math never worked for performance and now they are trying to fix that but they fukked up.

True you should of bought a 1440p monitor too.

also the 1080ti came out almost a year after the 1080

for the last three nvidia gens the x80 and the Titan came out around the same time, then the x80ti card came later, fitting somewhere in between

this gen the Titan V really isn't a consumer gaming card. that's why I said in the other thread that the 2080ti is basically the Titan this gen. thing is that doesn't leave room for them to squeeze another card in between the 2080 and 2080ti, but I guess they could come up with a new suffix... "2080xt" or some shyt
The fury X and nano was 650
It came out like 7 months later I believe, still should of been priced at 750-800 to begin with
They will still release titan cards, atleast one that can SLI unlike the Titan V

----

WOW fukk Nvidia, the 500, 700 and 1000 dollar price point isn't for Nvidia cards but for AIB cards which they are clearly are going to mark up. The real prices are 600, 800 and 1200 prices across the board. At least the article listed says the 2080 ti can hit 100 fps in AAA games in 4K/ultra settings.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Performance Revealed, Delivers Over 100 FPS at 4K

Last edited:

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I dont even get the need for SLI :dahell:

I have a old ass computer, relatively speaking..

a i7-3770k and a 970 gtx with 16 GB of RAM

I run Overwatch, a fast pace twitch shooter, at 150 FPS on max settings :dahell:

I run World of Warcraft, a massive multiplayer game with 40vs40 and over 100 FPS :dahell:

Diablo 3, max settings, 100 monsters on the screen, no problem :dahell:

and this is while streaming, something that drains FPS because of the strain on the CPU :dahell:

what the hell yall doing to require SLI :dahell:

even the biggest streamers in the world dont use SLI :dahell:

although they allocate that money to a duo PC set up, where 1 PC takes the load of the stream settings with a dedicated CPU, and the other PC is for gaming

JetLife

/ SOHH /
Daps
Reppin
Golden State
Intel might be going down a bad path ... they're restricting any benchmarking on an upcoming security patch. There's obviously a substantial performance hit on the horizon across the board, but I think users at this point are OK with it for the sake of security ... going the "gag order" route has people talking.

Intel Publishes Microcode Security Patches, No Benchmarking Or Comparison Allowed! – Bruce Perens

Intel Publishes Microcode Patches, No Benchmarking or Comparison Allowed | Hacker News

Notorious Jerry

Change&Hope Ambassador
Daps
Reppin
Chalmette,LA
I dont even get the need for SLI :dahell:

I have a old ass computer, relatively speaking..

a i7-3770k and a 970 gtx with 16 GB of RAM

I run Overwatch, a fast pace twitch shooter, at 150 FPS on max settings :dahell:

I run World of Warcraft, a massive multiplayer game with 40vs40 and over 100 FPS :dahell:

Diablo 3, max settings, 100 monsters on the screen, no problem :dahell:

and this is while streaming, something that drains FPS because of the strain on the CPU :dahell:

what the hell yall doing to require SLI :dahell:

even the biggest streamers in the world dont use SLI :dahell:

although they allocate that money to a duo PC set up, where 1 PC takes the load of the stream settings with a dedicated CPU, and the other PC is for gaming
You still playin WoW bro? Im thinking of getting into it now.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
You still playin WoW bro? Im thinking of getting into it now.
I always get the new expansions and play for a few months , try out all the new shyt they got , play some pvp - this expansion theyve done really well on World PvP so that may extend its life line to me past the usual 2-3 months

one thing that keeps it fresh for me every expansion is every expansion I boost/level a new character to play in the expansion

Warlords was a Paladin/Mage
Legion was a hunter
this expansion a Demon hunter

dc007

All Star
Daps
Reppin
DC
I always get the new expansions and play for a few months , try out all the new shyt they got , play some pvp - this expansion theyve done really well on World PvP so that may extend its life line to me past the usual 2-3 months

one thing that keeps it fresh for me every expansion is every expansion I boost/level a new character to play in the expansion

Warlords was a Paladin/Mage
Legion was a hunter
this expansion a Demon hunter

I was thinking about getting into this...but my guild has disbanded.

How is it for players now who play casually but still want to raid/have good gear. Last time I played there was LFR but I didn't think it was as fun as raiding with my guild.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I was thinking about getting into this...but my guild has disbanded.

How is it for players now who play casually but still want to raid/have good gear. Last time I played there was LFR but I didn't think it was as fun as raiding with my guild.

easier now than ever.. they have this thing now called "mythic" dungeons which is a step above heroic. You can do mythic+'s (higher difficulty) in 5 man groups and get just right below raid level gear

top end raiding now is really just reserved for the people who want the challenge more so than the gear.

and arena gear is always comparable to the high end PvE gear if thats an avenue for you

the game has changed a lot since you last played probably

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps

I'm telling you man the fanboys are some of the strangest cats out there.

The thought of a consumer coming in and saying "Oh, this should have been much more expensive" is pretty wild. I can't think of a single consumer base doing or saying the same thing.

MMA

Superstar
Daps
I'm telling you man the fanboys are some of the strangest cats out there.

The thought of a consumer coming in and saying "Oh, this should have been much more expensive" is pretty wild. I can't think of a single consumer base doing or saying the same thing.
:russ:

i only started buying Nvidia cards during the 9 series lineup. It's like this in any market. The higher the quality the card is, the higher the price should be. AMD clearly dropped the ball now for 2 generations and now Nvidia has the right to price their cards higher than usually.

If mercedes makes a better car product than bmw, I expect the mercedes to cost more. :yeshrug:

All consumer base do this with better products.