The opiod crisis is now in the hood. Hip Hop should not be promoting this epidemic like its cool.

---

Superstar
Daps
The shyt seriously hit home for me this year. This is some new shyt...Like when crack hit in the mid 80's. The issue I see is that pill popping is the "in" thing and it doesnt have a bad rep like K2 and bath salts. And thats the problem...I'm noticing in the hood that pill popping on opiods is the in thing....And thats terrible because its affecting Hip Hop in a way thats literally like saying doing heroin is cool now.

4 higlights this year that I can testify to:

- My sons 18 year old friend and next door neighbor od'd. And days before his death I overheard his mom yelling at him from the window about how he stole her pain killers.

- Me over hearing my homegirls 20 something daughter arguing with her baby daddy on her phone and putting him on blast about how he's addicted to xans and percs.

- On the street corner over hearing 2 teens in a rowdy looking bunch that looked like they were on their way to school talking about how they were on xans.

- This past Monday take day off from work...Hit up this early 20's something young thug I cop smoke from early that morning and when we link up I walk in his building and he's in the corner doing the dope fiend lean. I'm standing their like.

:ohhh:

His eyes half open with that dope fiend look. Mind you..I known this kid for a minute. Young get fly kid so seeing him like that threw me off for a second. I've seen dope fiends his age before but I'm 40 and seeing a 20 something young get fly Black man zoning to the current drug was an eye opener. So anyway....He's "coasting" while we do our transaction. I dont know whats what out in the streets so I just randomly ask "You on them percs?" He said it was xans and that if u just mobile it makes u sleepy that's why he was like that when I walked on him.

Had this exact talk with a group of friends maybe a month ago. shyt needs to be addressed, a bunch of artists are propping it up!

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
You also said in our media herion was negative. Back in those blaxploitation movies and books and chit they talked about doing raw.

My dude....Outside of those involved in the underworld, Doing dope was looked down on in the Black community. Doing dope was not a cool thing in the square world. And Blaxploitation movies and books wasn't the only go to for Black media. Black radio in the 70's was not promoting dope like it was cool. Amsterdam newspaper and final call newspapers was not promoting dope like it was cool. BET in the 80's was not promoting dope like it was cool. Jet Magazine and Ebony Magazine was not promoting dope like it was cool.

Dope Fiend by Donald Goines was a horror story...wasnt no glamarising shyt. Iceberg Slim spoke about banging H and how it was hell to quit and how he needed a doctors assistance and that had he not kicked he woulda killed himself in prison. A Hero Aint Nothing But A Sandwhich was a popular 70's movie that was anti dope. When they shot Foxy Brown up with that dope, that was a bad scene..not a cool scene. That scene in Superfly were they OD'd Scatter was a bad scene..not a cool scene. The Mack, Goldie came out of prison clean, he was cool now that he wasnt doing dope.....I think u are confusing dope with cocaine.Show me the Good Times episode were JJ was shooting up dope like it was cool? The Jeffersons episode were shooting dope was cool.

Last edited:

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
Bruh Heroin/Dogg Food/Hop always been in the hood it's just that was for the hardcore, nikkas can sniff coke, smoke crack, pop pills, smoke weed and drink, ask them to sniff or shot hop they be like Im good, that shyt is for the junkies at the corner store.

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
Beats blacking out in random front yards:yeshrug:

Or in jail or the hospital.

Xans are 100% trash. maybe half with a blunt is cool, but it's a quick tolerance for blackouts and naps.

Some pains, a lil lq and a blunt is a perfect night. Too much of the first two and you throwing up 3-4 times throughout the night, nodding off (still kinda tight but it looks fiendish as fukk) or passing out.

Both are wack. Get you addys/vyvanse and some weed. You 100% 24/7.

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
I'm talking about the music making it cool in that quote. The music wasn't promoting doing dope like it was cool....Thats why I pointed out specific songs in comparison to todays music. Iceberg Slims book goes into detail about how "banging H" was the in thing to do amongst the gangsters in the 30's and 40's....But I'm not talking about that.
but the music has always promoted killing, robbing, violence, abusing women, etc...

the only difference is were getting older and can see how it influences younger people.

When youre young you think you know everything...and dont see how the culture you're in is creating the environment you believe is normal.

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
but the music has always promoted killing, robbing, violence, abusing women, etc...

the only difference is were getting older and can see how it influences younger people.

When youre young you think you know everything...and dont see how the culture you're in is creating the environment you believe is normal.

:patrice:

Pay attention to what u quoting. 70's R&B was not promoting no killing, robbing, violence or abusing women. 70's R&B was dominated by love songs.

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
what do you mean new??
:francis: He’s just old as shyt and don’t know this shyt been happening for years now. Atleast 19-15 years

I just told him in a post about how Louisiana music from baton rough, Shreveport and laffette era been dominated by pill poppin music since 05.

They called streveport jigga city.

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
:francis: He’s just old as shyt and don’t know this shyt been happening for years now. Atleast 19-15 years

The military has allowed me to travel the whole country for free. I can say first hand that I've been all over the USA. I doubt u can same. A white boy put me on to Screw music in 98. Popping pain killers was not popular in the hoods across America like that until this decade. Not only can I bear witness to this but the fukking stats also say so. Your knowledge on hip hop is trash....So I refuse to take your word on anything serious concerning the hoods across America.

ig88

Bounty Hunter
Daps
Reppin
Intergalactic
Its been a slow gradual process but todaybits BAD

I mean pain killers died out over here

Heroin is literally 3 dollars a bag.

Now xans... dirty ass drug. I know 3 people who died cause of xanax and multiple ods. Thats really the most dangerous drug rn. That snd take fentynol pills cause you csnt do anything about it

Opiates/.killers/heroin hit hard like 2001. Noone and i mean noone would he cool with using those then. By 2012 it was on like donky kong

Its iust now its intouenced the music so maybe now people are confortable sying they did kt. shyt was extra extra taboo