The Official XBOX WON Thread - News and Info

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
You my friend just spoke on something that was reported but overlooked by most. Developers telling them they needed to add that to "compete/keep up/etc.

What does that mean, what where they referring to? And will adding more be enough since the ps4 isn't built from the ground up to take advantage of the extra Ram? They'll come up with a "workaround" that will not work as smooth as it does on Xbox, unless they redesigning the ps4 from the ground up :leon:

Sony couldn't stop talking about the additional Ram until you ask what they added it for :youngsabo:

Extra ram will help, but how much will it help. It's not like you can just go from 4GB to 8GB and then just say double the performance. It doesn't scale in that matter. The PS4 is a closed system, so it does matter, that can't be written off.

We are at the point of diminishing returns. This pic illustrates my point, in a somewhat over-simplified way.

vX8jkHD.png

Polygon counts are generally where they need to be for character models. Things such as shaders, post-processing and image quality are the next improvements but then again, I say, most people can't look and tell if AA is going on, hell, they don't even know if a game is 60fps.

15 frames per second

30 frames per second

60 frames per second

Frame rate is CPU cycles. PS4 and Xbox One have essentially, the same CPU in their boxes. So, my overall point is, even though the PS4 has more usable ram than the XB1, how much of the PS4's ram is actually going to be usable. There are other things like the move engines and ESRam that the XB1 has that can move data around as similarly fast as the GDDR5 in the PS4. My conclusion is that the PS4 is going to produce the better looking games of the two, question is, just how much. I'm hedging my bets on little.

Rico

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I always hear how the xbox Cloud isn't going to work and its not going to do much. Nobody says anything about the ps4 Cloud. So it can stream ps3 games... but xbox can't do anything.

Raiders

All Star
Supporter
Daps
You my friend just spoke on something that was reported but overlooked by most. Developers telling them they needed to add that to "compete/keep up/etc.

What does that mean, what where they referring to? And will adding more be enough since the ps4 isn't built from the ground up to take advantage of the extra Ram? They'll come up with a "workaround" that will not work as smooth as it does on Xbox, unless they redesigning the ps4 from the ground up :leon:

Sony couldn't stop talking about the additional Ram until you ask what they added it for :youngsabo:

Originally they had 4 GB of Ram, thats why some dev kits still have 4GB of Ram, like that demo of that old man, but xbox had 8 so that it could reserve some for the multiple OSes and kinect, sony heard about it and thats why they went with 8 also.

PS4 stans should be :blessed: xbox for having 8 GB first, or else all their I want the more powerful system talk would have force them to xbox.

Since it was a late add, who knows how much of an advantage it will be if any since the system was designed for 4GB, it could explain why a couple of the E3 demos would pause here and there, because they are trying to take advantage of hardware that is not designed to work with the other system parts at such a high level.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Originally they had 4 GB of Ram, thats why some dev kits still have 4GB of Ram, like that demo of that old man, but xbox had 8 so that it could reserve some for the multiple OSes and kinect, sony heard about it and thats why they went with 8 also.

PS4 stans should be :blessed: xbox for having 8 GB first, or else all their I want the more powerful system talk would have force them to xbox.

Since it was a late add, who knows how much of an advantage it will be if any since the system was designed for 4GB, it could explain why a couple of the E3 demos would pause here and there, because they are trying to take advantage of hardware that is not designed to work with the other system parts at such a high level.
First paragraph is incorrect, 2nd was halfway right, 3rd paragraph is on point

Mensch Fontana

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHHICEY
lets be reality brehs, handling cpu/gpu processes in the cloud will be extremely laggy to unplayable in certain areas with spotty/no internet connections. the cloud is all hype

Raiders

All Star
Supporter
Daps
It could do the processes for far away things, freeing up the xbox to do more, but im not sure how much this will be able to help now that the xbox isnt always online :yeshrug: Games look great on both systems, so im not really worried about the cloud either way

Airtrack360

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We all know both systems have their ups and downs. As a system I can't really say which one is BETTER.

But MSFT's presentation was terrible. I've never owned a PS2 or PS3 but I have owned and Xbox and a 360.

MSFT seems so confused in what direction to go in. If I'm getting a system that was designed to be always online and take advantage of all these features, but won't, than why bother buying it? It feels like I'm getting a gimped version without the price cut. :yeshrug:

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL

:comeon: Alpha/Beta quality will be a problem way before extra RAM does.