The Official XBOX WON Thread - News and Info

HNIC973

R.I.P Bandana P
Daps
Reppin
Brick City,New Jerz
Chris's Kinect Highlight
I'm not a massive fan of Kinect. I owned the first one and enjoyed Kinect Sports and Dance Central but, like most Kinect users, those were really the only two games that completely nailed it for me. Over the past couple of years it became a pain that I needed to keep turning around when I watched Netflix in case my wife walks past and it thinks she's waving at it.

With this in mind, I approached Kinect Sports Rivals with a slight degree of trepidation. While I'm still not completely sold on Kinect, I'm happy to try it again if it's as improved as Microsoft claims, and I was confident a new Kinect Sports game would be the best example of how well it could work when it's done properly.

Although Kinect Sports Rivals isn't a launch game, there is a free demo of sorts called Kinect Sports Rivals Preseason, which is what I played. It features jet ski racing, and is played by holding your arms out and pulling them back to steer. You can also lean to the side to make sharper turns if need be.

I was impressed with two things - firstly, the accuracy is greatly improved. I was wearing a black t-shirt in a dark room with daft strobe lights shining all over the place and it still picked up my movements perfectly. My gestures also didn't need to be so exaggerated this time - I only needed to make subtle movements and they were picked up.

"My gestures didn't need to be exaggerated this time - I only needed to make subtle movements."

Secondly, I could stand much closer to Kinect. At one point I must have only been a couple of feet in front of it and it was still working like a charm. My living room is fairly small so I used to keep hitting my feet against my couch behind me when I played before. There's no way I'll have the same problem this time.

Kinect Sports Rivals Preseasons will be available for free from day one. It'll feature the jet ski sport and will give you regular goals to complete. Doing so will unlock one-off outfits and equipment for use in the main game once it's released. This is the one I'll be playing with the family over Christmas.

Tamoor's Kinect Highlight
I'm going to nominate D4 as the game with the best use of Kinect, despite the fact that players interact with the game primarily by flinging their arms from side to side and guiding an on-screen cursor with their hands.

What sets D4 apart from Kinect Sports Rivals is that your mundane gestures are used for the most outlandish things in the most bizzarre situations.

For those not in the know D4, or Dark Dreams Don't Die, is an episodic point-and-click adventure game from Hidetaka 'Swery' Suehiro, creator of acclaimed survival horror Deadly Premonition.

To draw comparisons, D4 has a lot in common with TellTale's Walking Dead series, except with all the quirky characters and utterly bizarre goings on of Deadly Premonition.

Players take control of David Young, an amnesiac private investigator who's remarkably chipper for a man trying to figure out who killed his wife and why he can suddenly dive into the past when coming into contact with certain items. Using Kinect, players can guide David around different environments, pointing out where to go and what to investigate, as well as swiping to reorient the character. In conversations players can say one of the on-screen dialogue prompts.

On its own, all of that sounds pretty ordinary, but D4 puts all those actions into weird and wonderful situations on-screen. One of those wild arm flail situations, for example, might be during a fist fight on an aeroplane where you're doing a front flip over a runaway foodcart.

During the same fight, you might pin down your enemy and grab a nearby megaphone, then shout a mixture of abuse and questions crucial to furthering your investigation right down his ear hole.

Or you might grab the severed leg of a mannequin, which is on the flight accompanying a Lady Gaga-esque fashon mogul who has a giant green beehive-like hairstyle. What do you with said leg? You use it like a baseball bat to smash stuff into the other guy's face.

All of that happened. And I controlled it all slumped on a seat in front of the television. That's my kind of Kinect experience.

As an added bonus for fans of Francis York Morgan, David is able to see different items he can interact with and points of investigation when players put their fingers up to their heads in a thinking pose.

HNIC973

R.I.P Bandana P
Daps
Reppin
Brick City,New Jerz
Chris's Best Bet For Launch
Forza Motorsport 5 just looks tremendous and has the potential to last months. All the nonsense about Xbox One's 'resolutiongate' goes out the window as soon as you play with Forza's in-car view. It's far and away the most realistic racing game I've ever played on a console and it effortlessly chucks 60 frames a second at you.

The lighting is once again brilliant too - it looks like lighting is going to be the big graphical improvement of next-gen gaming.

At one point I drove over a bridge in Prague with the sun shining right at my windscreen. There were no needless lens flares or anything daft like that, it just produced a realistic glare that affected my view just like it would in a real car.

"It's far and away the most realistic racing game I've ever played on a console"

I think this probably sums it up best for me - I have no real interest in cars, but after spending an hour with Forza 5 I was itching to try out all the other vehicles in the game. It does a magnificent job of making petrolheadedness contagious, and I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on the full game.

Tamoor's Best Bet For Launch
I'll admit that, like many Dead Rising fans out there, I was quite worried about this game. Firstly, because the first few times I saw it there were obvious framerate issues, and secondly because it seemed to be a bit overly-serious.

However, after my latest hands-on with the game both those issues have been addressed. The framerate was rock solid, even with the screen completely filled with shambling zombies, even when I was lobbing explosives into crowds and watching them stumble around with their flesh burning.

On top of that, Dead Rising 3 is as goofy as ever. The world is definitely darker and grittier, but the things you can do in it are still odd and quirky. Together, it creates a weird contrast. If you think of the first two Dead Rising games as a parody of the zombie genre, Dead Rising 3 is more of a dark comedy.

It's clear Capcom Vancouver has spent more time actually writing and scripting comedy into the game, instead of just allowing it to be emergent through what the player does. There's a moment when main character Nick Ramos is bitten by a zombie and must hunt down Zombrex to treat himself. However, after his search comes to a dead end he gives up and asks a fellow survivor to put a quick end to his misery. What follows is an awkward comedy of mishaps that end up wasting the one bullet they had to get the job done.

There have been a bunch of tweaks to the old gameplay formula to make for a much smoother experience too. Weapons and items can be picked up while in motion, which makes it much easier to battle waves of enemies when you're desperately trying to get away. Weapons and items can also be used from the hip, with firearms given aim assistance for running-and-gunning.

"It's clear Capcom has spent more time writing and scripting comedy into the game"

Safe rooms now house all the special weapons players craft and costumes they acquire, and can be used to communicate with other survivors. Of course, for those that still want the hard-as-nails Dead Rising experience, there's multiple levels of difficulty and a timed campaign mode, making it just like the original Dead Rising.

In terms of a value proposition, Dead Rising 3 definitely looks like it has the most to offer on Xbox One at launch. The map is huge and, judging from the amount of icons I saw on-screen, there's a lot to do within it. I've got fond memories of spending months playing Dead Rising when I got my Xbox 360, I reckon I'll be doing the same with DR3.​

Teal.

Solo Dolo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Notfit,GA
PlayStation 4 will runs circle around this junk Xbox One is basically full of timed exclusives and bad exclusive plus a high price console with weak specs.

Take this neg...

Welcome to thecoli :troll:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I would think after 2 generations of systems people would know where they stand. I mean Gears of War or Uncharted, Halo or Killzone. That's what this boils down to if you're making an either or choice.

That's your opinion. But there's a lot more going into these systems than the games you named.

Rico

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You get $40 back per game on returns. The return value is not the $60 a new game cost.

You can exchange it... You can't tell me that if I buy a game I can't exchange it... Hell take it back to walmart.

Gifted one

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Target just emailed me about my controller delivery with the play and charge kit coming in on the 12th this month :what: I thought the accesories will only be available at launch @MeachTheMonster @Smooth3d

Last edited: