The Official "Westworld" Season 1 Thread

Stelio Kontos

All Star
Daps
Its hard to imagine they can actually prevent violence between guests in a park like this
the guns I can understand but what if you get into a fist fight and get washed are you not going to get hurt?

What if I wanna just go around sucker punching robots? How am I to know who's real or who's not :pachaha:

Wiirdo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bros. Go to 21 minutes into episode 2 when
the two cacs first get to westworld
, I swear to fukking god I've heard that melody somewhere in the music that plays, can someone please fukking help its driving me nuts. I mean, it could be original but I swear I recognize the melody. I almost thought it was the melody from part of One Winged Angel but I don't think that's it, it could be some ennio morricone shyt, does anyone know???

This one?

OnFleekTing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV
I also wonder are the interactions between the robots all scripted
Like they have a list of interactions to do with guests but other robots they have a history with and can just do whatever or not?

Clearly Delores is doing her own thing at points but other times she is falling back into script

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
So massive thoughts/theories about episode 2:

The line about 'These violent delights have violent ends' definitely seems to be a trigger phrase to the hosts. And that shines a new light on what Ford says to Lowe after Millay breaks down:

'The problem, Bernard, is that what you and I do, is so complicated. We practice witchcraft. We speak the right words, and we create life itself. Out of chaos.'

This seems to be a clue that Ford himself who installed the trigger phrase, especially because he says it right after Lowe theorizes that the photograph alone shouldn't be enough to cause Abernathy (Delores' father) to glitch. It's important here to keep in mind that it was also Ford who installed the "reveries" that's causing the hosts to "remember" their past as well. It's probably all part of the big "game" he's trying to set up in the desert near the buried church steeple. There seems to quite a lot of history there, since the first time we see Ford at the place he's shuffling his feet through the sand, as if he's trying to find his footing on what has been, figuratively but also literally, buried below.

That's another scene full of important clues btw, as Ford asks the boy if he can't imagine the town with the "white" church at the "nowhere land". The buried church steeple after all, is black(ened), another hint at the past being buried there. And the boy of course, is a host based on Ford as a child, a means perhaps to converse with his past, with the innocence and excitement and wonder he has lost. Which he also hints at with this line:

'Everything in this world is magic. Except to the magician.'

Ford is the magician after all, and I think he's become bored by his own creation. So his end game is to make the hosts' AI advance beyond the sum of their programming. To have them rise above what he made them, so he can be amazed again.

There's also the other side of the coin, the "game" the man in black is playing and the maze that, according to the little girl, isn't "meant" for him. But in the same scene we see the security chief say that the man in black gets whatever he wants, and the man himself explains that he's been in the park for thirty years, ever since he was "born" there, hinting at the man's place and past with the park. But if he is pretty much given free reign, yet the maze isn't meant for him, there are only two options. Either the man is in fact a host after all and the maze is only meant for guests, or the man is a guest but the maze isn't meant for guests. Now since the latter seems most obvious with what we've been given so far, that begs the question, if the maze isn't for the guests, what is it and who is it for? It could be that the maze is in fact the same place as the buried town at the "nowhere land", the hidden, long forgotten past of Westworld that they have built a new world upon, but at this time, that's all a big mystery.

And of course there's good ol' Delores, who we find out here has indeed advanced far beyond the other hosts, and this fact is at least in some ways known by Lowe who secretly converses with her, but even he doesn't realize how far as she is clearly still playing along with the script, to answer the question asked by @OnFleekTing above. Because we know she understands how the trigger phrases work and what they do, and we know she's already scheming. And as we see with Millay being able to (accidentally) wake herself up from a programmed sleep mode, there are multiple ways to overcome one's programming. The thing is, only Delores is currently aware that she's being programmed, so she's the only one able to take proper advantage of this.

Sonny Corinthos

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Port Charles, NY
Yo, this show is looking legit. Def like it better than the original film. (as far as now)

The fly sequences and scene with the chick kissing the host was dope.:wow:

Gotta rewatch the movie but this can't won't ever touch the dopeness of Yul Brenner in the original. He was on some Michael Myers shyt:wow:

DrDealgood

Superstar
Daps
I have had mixed feels about the cinematography on the show thinking it could be more elegant in places, but I have to say that (Episode 2):

Maeve's nightmare sequence and the wakeup in the lab may be one of the most beautifully shot things on TV ever.

If there is one thing that I don't like so far most of all, it's the sometimes on-the-nose dialogue or preachiness about the philosophical issues from the architects and designers of the park. They have a series, I think they can do more of "show, don't tell". Maybe they also use these as shortcuts to get things moving or because they figure not everyone who watches is as versed in sci-fi philosophy like coli brehs.

More eps :feedme:

DrDealgood

Superstar
Daps
I think Djawadi has deliberately referenced this as his "intro to the park"/"arrival" music.

Lyrics:

When the accursed have been confounded
And given over to the bitter flames,
Call me with the blessed.

I pray in supplication on my knees.
My heart contrite as the dust,
Safeguard my fate.

--

Confutatis maledictis
Flammis acribus addictis
Voca me cum benedictis

Oro supplex et acclinis
Cor contritum quasi cinis
Gere curam mei finis

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I think Djawadi has deliberately referenced this as his "intro to the park"/"arrival" music.

Lyrics:

When the accursed have been confounded
And given over to the bitter flames,
Call me with the blessed.

I pray in supplication on my knees.
My heart contrite as the dust,
Safeguard my fate.

--

Confutatis maledictis
Flammis acribus addictis
Voca me cum benedictis

Oro supplex et acclinis
Cor contritum quasi cinis
Gere curam mei finis

OT: kinda blows my mind that Mozart wrote the Requiem while basically on his death bed

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
so from what I gathered from that Ed Harris scene is that he pushes the Hosts to extremes to bring out their strongest emotional responses trying to enable them their past, and most human like tendencies

what he is after, Im not sure though

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
Yo my mind is fukking blown after episode 2. The creator is basically god to artificial intelligence.

I also wonder are the interactions between the robots all scripted
Like they have a list of interactions to do with guests but other robots they have a history with and can just do whatever or not?

Clearly Delores is doing her own thing at points but other times she is falling back into script

The Delos rep says "Its supposed to be scripted...with just *minor improvisation*"

So massive thoughts/theories about episode 2:

There's also the other side of the coin, the "game" the man in black is playing and the maze that, according to the little girl, isn't "meant" for him. But in the same scene we see the security chief say that the man in black gets whatever he wants, and the man himself explains that he's been in the park for thirty years, ever since he was "born" there, hinting at the man's place and past with the park. But if he is pretty much given free reign, yet the maze isn't meant for him, there are only two options. Either the man is in fact a host after all and the maze is only meant for guests, or the man is a guest but the maze isn't meant for guests. Now since the latter seems most obvious with what we've been given so far, that begs the question, if the maze isn't for the guests, what is it and who is it for? It could be that the maze is in fact the same place as the buried town at the "nowhere land", the hidden, long forgotten past of Westworld that they have built a new world upon, but at this time, that's all a big mystery.

:ohhh::ohhh::ohhh:
Maybe its a "Turing Test" to find the first Host with enough self-awareness to go on its OWN unscripted quest and solve its own puzzles without outside help. In Ford's mind, that would mean that he has created a REAL (not "artificial") life form and would be literally God to it. But Ford didn't count on the MiB seeing himself as in a one-on-one game against Ford for the title.