The Official "Westworld" Season 1 Thread

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
:patrice: Can someone break down how Bernard is supposed to be Arnold if it was clarified in the episode?

From what I gathered, i'm assuming Ford somehow extrapolated his consciousness and implanted it into Bernard? Also the picture with Bernard in Arnold's place threw me off. Is he also a physical recreation of him or was that just used for effect?

Bernard is a host built in the likeness of Arnold, both in appearance and in personality. He recreated the Arnold he knew as closely as he could because as he admitted, Arnold could accomplish certain things that Ford never could. So the picture that Bernard is shown is a picture of a young Ford, his father and the young Arnold.

To make it clear, Bernard is not Arnold. He is "just" a replica of Arnold.

chico25

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It wasn't just Arnold's name. Ford didn't know how to write the host's code as well as Arnold or fully understand how it worked. If Bernard reprogrammed the computer, that would mean that somehow Arnold put hidden code in ALL the hosts (including hosts built after he died) to program themselves, and hid it from Ford.
Ford said in the episode that Bernard came up with ideas and programs that Ford never thought of. Bernard was the one the created and installed the backdoor Ford used to shut him down.

The brilliance in what Ford did with Bernard is he created a machine capable of learning and growth beyond it's start and it's creator. While using him to create his own chains.

:patrice: Can someone break down how Bernard is supposed to be Arnold if it was clarified in the episode?

From what I gathered, i'm assuming Ford somehow extrapolated his consciousness and implanted it into Bernard? Also the picture with Bernard in Arnold's place threw me off. Is he also a physical recreation of him or was that just used for effect?

Arnold died and Ford created Bernard to look and act like Arnold. He gave him the same history and personality to the best of his programming ability. He's not really Arnold just based on him.

Batter Up

I'm the first to swing
Daps
Bernard is a host built in the likeness of Arnold, both in appearance and in personality. He recreated the Arnold he knew as closely as he could because as he admitted, Arnold could accomplish certain things that Ford never could. So the picture that Bernard is shown is a picture of a young Ford, his father and the young Arnold.

To make it clear, Bernard is not Arnold. He is "just" a replica of Arnold.

Yeah that's basically what I figured. I wasn't sure if he built him with Arnold's real consciousness or just recreated it as closely as he could but it sounds like the latter. The physical likeness also threw me off cause it seems likely that someone from the past would recognize him at some point. I guess they expect us to suspend some disbelief or assume that Ford would be on top of it since he has complete control over every move Bernard makes.

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So wyatt is delores?

Teddy remember's escondido as him an wyatt going ham for whatever reason while killing a bunch of army folks and a general in the process.

But we learn those memories were fake and overwritten to show soldiers he was killing that were really townfolks. So maybe the General Wyatt killed in his flashback was really Arnold and Wyatt was really delores.

Teddy remember's his actions in escondido as sort of automatic...He was just going along with what Wyatt said. It's probably how he remembers acting in his robot trance they get on when given orders by humans

Wyatts immortals are other decommissioned hosts lead by Delores that ignore their programming to "die" when mortally wounded. ...Teddy only feels strongly about two charaters in Westword, Delores and Wyatt.

And she had a flashback of herself in Escondido as well

Last edited:

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Yeah that's basically what I figured. I wasn't sure if he built him with Arnold's real consciousness or just recreated it as closely as he could but it sounds like the latter. The physical likeness also threw me off cause it seems likely that someone from the past would recognize him at some point. I guess they expect us to suspend some disbelief or assume that Ford would be on top of it since he has complete control over every move Bernard makes.

Arnold died before the park officially opened more than 30 years ago. We have no idea when he brought Bernard online, but it could be after none of the original staff was still on board.

So wyatt is delores?

Teddy remember's escondido as him an wyatt going ham for whatever reason while killing a bunch of army folks and a general in the process.

But we learn those memories were fake and overwritten to show soldiers he was killing that were really townfolks. So maybe the General Wyatt killed in his flashback was really Arnold and Wyatt was really delores.

Teddy remember's his actions in escondido as sort of automatic...He was just going along with what Wyatt said. It's probably how he remembers acting in his robot trance they get on when given orders by humans

Wyatts immortals are other decommissioned hosts lead by Delores that ignore their programming to "die" when mortally wounded. ...Teddy only feels strongly about two charaters in Westword, Delores

We saw last week that Dolores had those flashbacks of gunning folks down in the town (right before she put the gun to her dome), so she's definitely Wyatt.

Also, my prediction for next week is that Ford is gonna get taken out (killed) and Maeve brings Bernard back online, so unaware of him being a host the board puts Bernard in charge of the park, which effectively means that next season the inmates are running the asylum.

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
So is the Delores timeline the past? And the other shyts current? I mean some flashbacks are obvious. Someone break it down for me.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
So is the Delores timeline the past? And the other shyts current? I mean some flashbacks are obvious. Someone break it down for me.

As explained in a previous episode, since a host's memory is essentially a perfect storage unit, if they recall memories they experience them as vivid and real as if it were happening that very moment (since it's all computer processing). Dolores backtracks her way to the maze where it all started, at the same time reliving the memories of the first time she made that journey 30 years ago with William (now the MIB) and Logan. The scenes with Dolores involving William and Logan is in the past, the scenes we thought were conversations between Dolores and Bernard can now be placed in the past as well since this episode revealed it was actually Arnold she was talking to. Everything else happens in the present.

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If he's the MiB why the fukk does he keep kill his girl so many times lmao?

The way I guess it happens is Will's trip runs out before he finds delores. He most likely makes some sort of vow to settle things and goes back into the real world determined to make so much money he can explore this park to his hearts content.

Years later he grows old and finally returns to the park with time and money to spare. However he finds delores and she's already been re-assigned and reprogrammed (after escondido) so she doesn't recognize or remember him.

So he goes off on tons of different loops fukking with shyt until the day he shoots maeve and her daughter. Then he gets a glimpse of the maze and arnold's deeper programming for conciousness.

He also remembers that delores can remember stuff from past loops so he starts murking her and inflicting trauma to bring the maze/memories out of her and because like he said, that's how he "understands how the game works".

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As explained in a previous episode, since a host's memory is essentially a perfect storage unit, if they recall memories they experience them as vivid and real as if it were happening that very moment (since it's all computer processing). Dolores backtracks her way to the maze where it all started, at the same time reliving the memories of the first time she made that journey 30 years ago with William (now the MIB) and Logan. The scenes with Dolores involving William and Logan is in the past, the scenes we thought were conversations between Dolores and Bernard can now be placed in the past as well since this episode revealed it was actually Arnold she was talking to. Everything else happens in the present.

I might have to rewatch to confirm but when Delores first overrode her programming and started shooting people, didn't she recall when MiB dragged her into that shed?