The Official Washington Wizards News & Notes Thread

Braman

Superstar
Daps
The whole NCR is transplant as fukk the past 10 years. Whatever authentic DC themes some folks remember is nothing more than a design or aesthetic choice now.

Funny you say this bc I was just thinking, most of this fake outage is from outsiders, transplants, and/or white folk anyway. Bc old dc is either not on the net or on Facebook. Thats where all the hood mfers be :heh:.

Twitter and IG is younger and more likely to be a transplants. So the discourse is a bit weird. Ie ‘Washingtonian probs’ ig page, all the chicks I fw follow that page and most of these chicks are transplants who moved here for work, only 5,10 years ago but and call themselves real DC/DMV. They don’t really have a dog in this race but it’s trendy to get online and write think pieces

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
People from DC and Maryland don’t talk like this about Potomac Yard.

Facts, that shyt is just route 1 for most people. This is more about the franchise gentrifying the fukk outta the team. A move to NoVA is a money move. All I can give credit for is that if it were 1847 then the team would technically be within DC city limits. Outside of that, this a total money move.

VA been aggressive tho between this and the Amazon move. Traffic on GW Parkway finna be ass….:russ:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Facts, that shyt is just route 1 for most people. This is more about the franchise gentrifying the fukk outta the team. A move to NoVA is a money move. All I can give credit for is that if it were 1847 then the team would technically be within DC city limits. Outside of that, this a total money move.

VA been aggressive tho between this and the Amazon move. Traffic on GW Parkway finna be ass….:russ:
I promise you, I have never hung out in NoVA late night. The movie theaters are the closest I’ve come to chilling out there.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
I promise you, I have never hung out in NoVA late night. The movie theaters are the closest I’ve come to chilling out there.

I only know about that shyt cuz my mom lived near there when I was younger and we used to go to the Target. Otherwise that shyt is dead as fukk. Only thing near there that everyone goes to is National Airport and the hotels in Crystal City. It was never a hot area in terms of nightlife or even shopping that shyt minus well be on Richmond Highway or Springfield cuz it’s the same swag less suburban strip mall shyt.

On the one hand it’d be hard to build a brand new arena at Gallery Place but on the other hand it’s very prime location since you’re walking distance to downtown. Only advantage the VA spot got is waterfront property similar to the Nats/DC United. But they’ve been gentrifying the sports scene like everything else. All that rebranding while Rui was there made it look obvious imo and this is just another move in that direction.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I only know about that shyt cuz my mom lived near there when I was younger and we used to go to the Target. Otherwise that shyt is dead as fukk. Only thing near there that everyone goes to is National Airport and the hotels in Crystal City. It was never a hot area in terms of nightlife or even shopping that shyt minus well be on Richmond Highway or Springfield cuz it’s the same swag less suburban strip mall shyt.

On the one hand it’d be hard to build a brand new arena at Gallery Place but on the other hand it’s very prime location since you’re walking distance to downtown. Only advantage the VA spot got is waterfront property similar to the Nats/DC United. But they’ve been gentrifying the sports scene like everything else. All that rebranding while Rui was there made it look obvious imo and this is just another move in that direction.
The NIMBYs out there are trying to hault this and since they got money, it may work.

Rakpo98

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It ain't the truth. It's what you want to be the truth. Leonsis been talking about leaving DC since at least 2016. It's not crime, but him being a scumbag.

Leonsis was a Knick fan and had a full-court basketball court in his house when he bought into the Caps and Wizards in 1999:

He became an NHL fan in the 90s, but he is a lifelong NBA fan. DC area folks spread that myth because the Caps were better than the Wizards, and that was only because the Caps were fortunate to draft either the first or second greatest goalscorer and a top 10 player in NHL history. That never happened with the Wizards. If he could have drafted Kevin Durant, LeBron James, or Steph Curry, and the Caps got a Kwame Brown equivalent, he would have sold off the Caps.

The Caps will be very interesting when the Ovechkin draw isn't there, but he wont care because he will have this property deal.

if he’s such a “fan” of basketball, then the man is even more retarded then I even thought. He had literally continued to employ the worst GM in the league for 10 years (AFTER) he bought the team from Polin AND managed to promote someone even stupider in Tommie Shepherd, and he’s been retarded in his player signings and promotion of the team. The Wiz are the biggest joke in the NBA, and one of the biggest jokes in sports. They haven’t won 50 fukkin games in a season since 1979 :heh:

If he cares so much about the basketball team, he hasn’t shown any of that shyt in his entire tenure.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
if he’s such a “fan” of basketball, then the man is even more retarded then I even thought. He had literally continued to employ the worst GM in the league for 10 years (AFTER) he bought the team from Polin AND managed to promote someone even stupider in Tommie Shepherd, and he’s been retarded in his player signings and promotion of the team. The Wiz are the biggest joke in the NBA, and one of the biggest jokes in sports. They haven’t won 50 fukkin games in a season since 1979 :heh:

If he cares so much about the basketball team, he hasn’t shown any of that shyt in his entire tenure.
He is an idiot

He never gave Ovechkin a real team or coach to win a Stanley cup with until he signed Oshie and Trotz—who he didn’t want to pay after the title. And the same time he kept Ernie around, he kept George McPhee around who was here longer than Ernie.

He is an incompetent sports owner who only got in it to make money. That’s why he was one of the loudest owners crying poor and wanting to restrict salaries during the 2011 NBA lockout, just like the NHL owners did when the NHL lost that season in 2004-05.

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
It's not the full reason that the teams are leaving, but I definitely think that it plays some into the decision to bounce. You can't have all these crimes occurring all throughout the city, and not think that there won't be some ramifications. The mayor, city council and community leaders all have to hold the L collectively. There's no reason for crime to be this out of control in the Capital of the world. Something has to be done about it, but I'm not sure this mayor and city council have what it takes to curb this issue.

More businesses and residents have to leave before it finally clicks in their thick skulls. There have been so many car jackings, that even Secret Service for President Biden's granddaughter got it recently. God forbid if members of Congress or the Senate ever get carjacked.

With this logic, The Warriors would've never went back to the city and built a brand new arena.

We gotta stop the Fox News angles, it's always about money. Dude saw Balmer get Battlestar Galactica in Inglewood and wants his turn

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
There's nothing else for the city to do at this point. It looks like Leonsis is dead set on moving both teams to VA. According to news reports, DC only has 1-2 days at best to try to "wow" Leonsis with an offer to get him to change his mind and stay in DC. I don't think it's just about the arena to Leonsis, it's the area around the arena and the lack of activity in Chinatown/Gallery Place (along with the crime) that has Leonsis upset. The white people who used to jam that part of town before and after games are now leaving as soon as the games end. People don't want to hang around downtown or Chinatown anymore, because of the threat of crime. People I know at work and friends of mine who would used to find any excuse to hang out in DC during the weekends are now hesitating to even go into town now. The decline in activity in the city is starting to get really noticeable. People are acting like DC is going back to it's dark ages of the 80s and 90s, and in a lot of ways, it is.

So nikkas doing nikka shyt, & people wanna get away from it but folks are mad? :mjlol: