The Official Washington Wizards News & Notes Thread

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Tangential, but everyone was up in arms when the Braves moved out of the city of Atlanta. Ended up working out well for most all parties. :ld:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
There's nothing else for the city to do at this point. It looks like Leonsis is dead set on moving both teams to VA. According to news reports, DC only has 1-2 days at best to try to "wow" Leonsis with an offer to get him to change his mind and stay in DC. I don't think it's just about the arena to Leonsis, it's the area around the arena and the lack of activity in Chinatown/Gallery Place (along with the crime) that has Leonsis upset. The white people who used to jam that part of town before and after games are now leaving as soon as the games end. People don't want to hang around downtown or Chinatown anymore, because of the threat of crime. People I know at work and friends of mine who would used to find any excuse to hang out in DC during the weekends are now hesitating to even go into town now. The decline in activity in the city is starting to get really noticeable. People are acting like DC is going back to it's dark ages of the 80s and 90s, and in a lot of ways, it is.
when the money leaves it's over

That's what the ramifications of crimin' does

Lowlife mufukkaz fukkin it up for everyone

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
:sas1:It means Black folks (along with others) will still go to the games at Potomac Yards but, the ni66as, BHI, Dustheads, Homeless, Nut-jobs and, the bad ass lil ni66as that constantly hang around Cap One/ Chinatown will not be within 1000 feet of the new spot. VA ain’t having none of that :sas2:
sad but true

Age old shyt of knowing who and where to pull certain stunts with and who not to

Tale as old as time

Braman

Superstar
Daps
Yeah the skins definitely need to be back in the city now
Might need its own thread but yall think Baltimore can support an nba team if the wizards make that move to nova?

Things getting real spooky for what. Fbi left. Now Wizards. Muriel lookin funny in the light …every time she comes out after the fact looking like, unfortunately, someone the heavy hitters don’t take serious.

Braman

Superstar
Daps

Yep. A post I made before…

Yea slight tangent but I say this all the time about Dc: almost all of the new big money gentrified neighborhoods are built over former black club hot spots. Dc wharf- H20/Zanzibar. Ivy city- Love. NoMa- Ibiza. Union market- can’t rembember the club name.

In all those cases the exact same thing happened: fights/stabbing/shootings closed the club…spots get their license revoked…developers can then legally move in and take the landand ffwd it’s a new area. It’s a major jack move

Add Cap One arena to the list. It’s not an exclusively black area but it does attract a lot of nggas :patrice::mjpls: They bout to fix that right on up.

My guess is another City Center type area. High end retail, Expensive condos, etc. Mighht just throw ‘china town’ to the bushes all together. Bout to be called NoChi or some shyt like that

Rakpo98

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL

It's not the full reason that the teams are leaving, but I definitely think that it plays some into the decision to bounce. You can't have all these crimes occurring all throughout the city, and not think that there won't be some ramifications. The mayor, city council and community leaders all have to hold the L collectively. There's no reason for crime to be this out of control in the Capital of the world. Something has to be done about it, but I'm not sure this mayor and city council have what it takes to curb this issue.

More businesses and residents have to leave before it finally clicks in their thick skulls. There have been so many car jackings, that even Secret Service for President Biden's granddaughter got it recently. God forbid if members of Congress or the Senate ever get carjacked.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
It's not the full reason that the teams are leaving, but I definitely think that it plays some into the decision to bounce. You can't have all these crimes occurring all throughout the city, and not think that there won't be some ramifications. The mayor, city council and community leaders all have to hold the L collectively. There's no reason for crime to be this out of control in the Capital of the world. Something has to be done about it, but I'm not sure this mayor and city council have what it takes to curb this issue.

More businesses and residents have to leave before it finally clicks in their thick skulls. There have been so many car jackings, that even Secret Service for President Biden's granddaughter got it recently. God forbid if members of Congress or the Senate ever get carjacked.
You say goofy, scary stuff like this when crime was much worse when the arena opened versus now.

Leonsis will use crime to scare people that think like you, but this was a money move.

Rakpo98

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You say goofy, scary stuff like this when crime was much worse when the arena opened versus now.

Leonsis will use crime to scare people that think like you, but this was a money move.

It's the truth. Besides, the one successful team that he owns (you know the one that makes the playoffs all the time and won their championship in 2018) is the one that he cares about the most. Those fans (who are white people living in the burbs or Arlington) will be pleased about the move. He doesn't give a fukk about the Wizards. Never has. Those fans can kick rocks as far as he's concerned. As long as he's selling out that arena for Caps games, he's good. 5 years from now, when that arena opens, Wiz/Caps fans will make the trek to Potomac Yards, This is all just talk at the end of the day.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
It's the truth.
It ain't the truth. It's what you want to be the truth. Leonsis been talking about leaving DC since at least 2016. It's not crime, but him being a scumbag.

Besides, the one successful team that he owns (you know the one that makes the playoffs all the time and won their championship in 2018) is the one that he cares about the most. He doesn't give a fukk about the Wizards. Never has.
Leonsis was a Knick fan and had a full-court basketball court in his house when he bought into the Caps and Wizards in 1999:

He became an NHL fan in the 90s, but he is a lifelong NBA fan. DC area folks spread that myth because the Caps were better than the Wizards, and that was only because the Caps were fortunate to draft either the first or second greatest goalscorer and a top 10 player in NHL history. That never happened with the Wizards. If he could have drafted Kevin Durant, LeBron James, or Steph Curry, and the Caps got a Kwame Brown equivalent, he would have sold off the Caps.

The Caps will be very interesting when the Ovechkin draw isn't there, but he wont care because he will have this property deal.