The Official Toronto Discussion Thread

Tom Foolery

You're using way too many napkins.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boardwalk and Park Place
you're both right.

there is a segment of youth in the street that want another better way than selling drugs to be fair. they jjust don't have the exposure or access to those ways in their day-to-day, too worried about avoiding the nikka tryna groom them to sell dope, or their sibling needing care which they need to provide or some other shyt a kid shouldn't be worrying about.
I don't know. It's not like the US where everything is segregated. People live right next door to Whites/Asians/Indian/Arabs. The process is not that hidden.

This shyt really is a choice. Hood shyt is all some nikkas got going for themselves.

President Sakora

Supporter
Daps
I don't know. It's not like the US where everything is segregated. People live right next door to Whites/Asians/Indian/Arabs. The process is not that hidden.

This shyt really is a choice. Hood shyt is all some nikkas got going for themselves.
you'd be surprised...the research skills of some youths is just not there, whether that's the education system's fault or their own. some generally just don't care ENOUGH to learn but many just don't have the tools. i'm referring mainly to the ones in social housing projects.

Tom Foolery

You're using way too many napkins.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boardwalk and Park Place
you'd be surprised...the research skills of some youths is just not there, whether that's the education system's fault or their own. some generally just don't care ENOUGH to learn but many just don't have the tools. i'm referring mainly to the ones in social housing projects.
But if I asked them for a trap beat and a music video, they'd figure it out.

We can't make excuses for nikkas this far gone. They know better.

Last edited:

President Sakora

Supporter
Daps
But if I asked them for a trap beat and a music video, they'd figure it out.

We can make excuses for nikkas this far gone. They know better.
lmao, i mean you'd be surprised how incompetent some street brehs are with a computer and software, not all street cats are made alike, the ones doing the most heinous acts tend not to have too many other skill sets, hence the degenerate homicidal behaviours.

You can't paint in broad strokes, these are people we're talking about you HAVE to address the complexities or you end up mismanaging the problems, don't mangicake-manage style this, it's part of the reason the issue persists to this level in a country like canada, we ought to be more like sweden and germany in terms of violent crimes, but we're not. it's a direct result of the way we manage social issues.

Malcolmxxx_23

Let's go panthers
Supporter
Daps
I used to look forward to visiting toronto from
2011-2016

Then all the negative energy since then

Regine Hunter

Captain Fupa
Supporter
Daps
*insert periodical "I fukking hate this city, can't wait to get my bearings and fukking move" post*

BigSteppa

Kawhi pack got me leanin
Daps
Ngl there's a few decent rappers in the city rn but I agree with what's being said too many innocents dying these days :francis:

Guess Who

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
thank the Lord every day that I didn’t grow up in these communities.

I grew up in these communities and now I work in them. The issues are far more complex than what’s being presented in this thread.

it's a manhood thing. a lot of 'em don't like/can't stand being dissed on the block and their pride gets in their way of their best life. not just somali youths many street dudes...

Yeah this is a piece of it. Psychologically speaking, all humans seek the feeling of having power in society—some people get that feeling from being good at school and getting a good job, some people beat or manipulate their spouse, others turn to gangster shyt. A lot of these youths don’t see any opportunities ahead of them and are thoroughly disenfranchised, left feeling powerless. The result is that the only power they can obtain is on the block. So that’s how they get involved in this shyt.

Also, the impact of racism can’t be denied here. These youths are growing up in a system that shows it doesn’t believe in them from day one. You got teachers branding kindergarten kids as gangsters and stupid and treating the kids accordingly. These kids don’t get attention because the teachers don’t think they’re worth investing in. By the time these kids, particularly the males, hit grade 4 they’re being streamed into special Ed. It’s an epidemic. I used to work in the school system with teens. I saw the OSRs. Black boys are heavily disproportionately suspended and streamed into the stupid classes. You got teachers telling 11 year olds that they won’t amount to anything (shyt like this happens all the time). Etc etc etc. From a psychological standpoint, especially for the kids who don’t have strong emotional support at home, it’s hard to stand up to the constant barrage of racist abuse. So a lot of these guys give up on being productive members of the system by the time they hit high school because they either don’t believe the system will work for them or just outright hate it and don’t want to be a part of it. I mean, I’ve seen all kinds of kids get a raw deal in school because the faculty is racist. I talk to teachers and principals about this all the time. It’s a huge problem.

Another thing is we can say, “why doesn’t so and so take advantage of going to community college or uni or getting a trade or labour job etc.” but that doesn’t take into account a few things. You can’t legally work in Ontario until you’re 16 (some places hire 15 year olds too). However, if you grow up in the hood you’re being groomed from the time you hit grade 6 and probably making your first money in the street before you’re old enough to legally work. So by the time you can legally work you’re comparing the $2000 you can make in a week to the $2000 you can make in two months working part time. It doesn’t make economic sense for a lot of these guys to go the right route.

Then you look at the lack of opportunity in these areas. The schools are underfunded. Kids are sharing text books and not allowed to bring them home. The schools can’t afford extracurriculars, expensive field trips to museums or overnight trips which might expose students to a different reality than the one they’re living. There are very few Black teachers which impacts how the students are treated and see themselves. Etc.

Then you got the phenomenon of having no real jobs in the hood. It’s just fast food, retail, call centres and factory work. Those aren’t attractive career options. All the hood job programs essentially place youths in shytty nearly minimum wage dead end jobs but who wants that?

A lot of these young people are dealing with trauma as well from either shytty home environments or losing friends/family members to violence. And there are a ton load of studies that show the connection between becoming violent after experiencing trauma or having violence committed against you.

Or these youths sometimes don’t feel safe in their own hood so they clique up with the gangsters because that’s better protection than rolling solo.

Or the parents are working so hard to put food on the table that the kids are left at home solo fending for themselves and end up getting influenced by the nonsense in their area. The family in the streets seems tighter than the family at home so they find themselves in the streets.

Etc etc.

There are a lot of issues in these places that are hard to understand if you’re not from these places. I grew up in social housing from the moment my family touched down in Toronto from Jamaica when I was the likklest of yutes. Spent 22 years of my life living in the projects. Then immediately starting working in the projects or with youth and families from the projects immediately after undergrad. I been around this shyt my whole life. I understand how it works. The solutions aren’t easy to reach or implement and the government or the populace in general aren’t invested in doing the things necessary to solve the problems. But if I were to address these issues I’d look at the following:

-reducing the impact of racism in schools
-increasing funding in ghetto schools to provide a wider variety of learning opportunities (this is the MAIN difference between hood and rich schools. I read a study once that measured extracurricular learning and networking opportunities and by the time a kid graduates grade 12, the rich kid has almost 20x more opportunities to learn about, network in, and develop the social skills for the professional world)
-I’d create programs to support these communities in developing office jobs close to home. A huge issue is that the transit system can’t get people from the hood to where the jobs are at in less than 1.5 hours each way.
-support community building activities so that communities can come together to raise children together and not in silos, decreasing the impact of parents who have to work all the time
-address racist immigration policies that don’t let immigrants with skills/education from other countries work here without starting basically from scratch...which is expensive in terms of time/money

These are some places I’d start if I were thinking about how to address the problems. But my main point is that these issues are complex and deeper than just “why don’t these guys just get a job or do something productive.” And yes, the hood life has become a culture but something had to happen for it to become that way and things continue to happen to feed into it.

Last edited: