The Official Toronto Discussion Thread

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Because our government is in bed with these corporations. Especially the big chains like Loblaws. The Trudeaus are friends with the Weston family. They’re part of the same “elite” in Canada and frequent the same circles so that won’t happen.

Just like when Loblaws was caught price gouging and fixing bread. Think about that. A billion dollar corporation that rakes in billions of dollars per year was fixing bread prices and manipulating them to profit at even greater rate while fukking me and you over. They got a slap on the wrist and had to pay back $20 in gift certifies lol no jail, no real fines, nothing. Just a cost of doing business tax after making off with billions in the scheme. This is just how Canada is and we all look the other way like pussies.

So take all you can from Em cause they’ll take from you :francis:

Canada is full of oligopolies and monopolies. They run the pockets of their citizens.

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The CBC article describes the Ford government allowing privately-run medical businesses to conduct more medical procedures outside of our publicly funded medical system. Effectively making two stream healthcare (healthcare for the rich and the not-so-rich) a greater reality in Ontario.

Nah, that's not what's happening. Couple things:

1. Private businesses already deliver healthcare in Ontario. Most doctors offices are private businesses. Most testing labs are private businesses
2. Those private businesses bill OHIP directly for healthcare they deliver. You show your health card, OHIP gets the bill
3. The new rules are allowing private businesses to deliver certain surgical procedures that previously were only available in a hospital.
4. It will work exactly like it does with a doctor's office, you show your card, you get your surgery, OHIP gets the bill

There are some potential problems with this, but it doesn't help to pretend this is a grand departure into privatized healthcare.

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Because our government is in bed with these corporations. Especially the big chains like Loblaws. The Trudeaus are friends with the Weston family. They’re part of the same “elite” in Canada and frequent the same circles so that won’t happen.

Just like when Loblaws was caught price gouging and fixing bread. Think about that. A billion dollar corporation that rakes in billions of dollars per year was fixing bread prices and manipulating them to profit at even greater rate while fukking me and you over. They got a slap on the wrist and had to pay back $20 in gift certifies lol no jail, no real fines, nothing. Just a cost of doing business tax after making off with billions in the scheme. This is just how Canada is and we all look the other way like pussies.

So take all you can from Em cause they’ll take from you :francis:

Supply chain management is another great example of our government siding with wealthy food producers over people. We get gouged on the price of milk, eggs and cheese to protect the profits of (mostly Quebec) dairy farms. And don't think these are small Farmer Bob family run operations. We're talking giant industrial operations.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4

1. Private businesses already deliver healthcare in Ontario. Most doctors offices are private businesses. Most testing labs are private businesses
2. Those private businesses bill OHIP directly for healthcare they deliver. You show your health card, OHIP gets the bill
3. The new rules are allowing private businesses to deliver certain surgical procedures that previously were only available in a hospital.
4. It will work exactly like it does with a doctor's office, you show your card, you get your surgery, OHIP gets the bill

There are some potential problems with this, but it doesn't help to pretend this is a grand departure into privatized healthcare.

Doctor offices are not really private businesses. Any physician billing the private system is prohibited from working in any hospital or clinic that receives public money under the Canada Health Act.

A private health business is like Medcan

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Doctor offices are not really private businesses. Any physician billing the private system is prohibited from working in any hospital or clinic that receives public money under the Canada Health Act.

A private health business is like Medcan

Yes, they are. Almost all of them. Check out this OMA press release, it's talking about tax rates but it does a great job of breaking down how doctors in Ontario structure their businesses.

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
everything
fruits, veggies, meat especially, milk, eggs, butter etc. etc.

a dozen eggs is like 4 dollars now
Dairy production is subsidized and there a huge tariffs on dairy imports, thats why. Dairy farmers are an important political constituency in Quebec, so every politician panders to them and wont get rid of supply management.

If tariffs were lower, prices would drop overnight, we have a huge dairy market to our south.

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Agreed, this is scaremongering from opposition.

As long as the user doesnt pay out of pocket, why should I care where the service is delivered?

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Dairy production is subsidized and there a huge tariffs on dairy imports, thats why. Dairy farmers are an important political constituency in Quebec, so every politician panders to them and wont get rid of supply management.

If tariffs were lower, prices would drop overnight, we have a huge dairy market to our south.

I remember prior covid when I'd go to the states you could get like a dozen eggs for like 40 cents at Walmart. Googling now I even see eggs are more expensive in us than in Canada now :picard:

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I remember prior covid when I'd go to the states you could get like a dozen eggs for like 40 cents at Walmart. Googling now I even see eggs are more expensive in us than in Canada now :picard:
For real? :wow: I did notice that eating out in the States is way more expensive that I was accustomed to when I was in DC a few months ago.

:damn: Nobody is safe