The Official Toronto Discussion Thread

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Regarding the housing crisis in Canada right now. I am just so confused as to how the government is gonna go about it.

First off, housing is ridiculously expensive due to foreign investors buying up property.

But that isn't even Canadians first concern considering wages have been stagnant forever now and if housing prices dropped most millennials will not be able to afford a home regardless.

Secondly, the solution of "just build more houses" doesn't work because ....

Lumber is a necessary element of construction and since the NDP completely decimated the lumber mills in BC and Ontario, we don't have the capacity to produce lumber like we once did. And building lumber mills/towns around it takes forever, it isn't as easy as building a mall or something. Now, lumber is exponentially more expensive, there is also a shortage. Coupled with other shortage of materials used to build homes, there isn't a feasible way to build homes to meet up with the demand.

We all know that housing prices isn't going decrease, as our ponzi scheme of an economy runs on it and we will hit great depression without it.

So, what is there to do?

Homelessness is gonna skyrocket post Covid as mass layoff are imminent. Trudeau is gonna ring in 400k immigrants a year (literally london's population), where are these people going to live?

This government is seriously incompetent as fukk no matter which party, we are truly fukked moving forward and everybody has their heads in the sand.

What are y'all's opinions?

we are screwed brehs

trick

sleeping
Supporter
Daps
Wtf is this

nR45wrs.png

A line for the booking portal? :gucci:

They're releasing appointments throughout the day. The best time is to get on before 8 am, so your wait is short and you get your pick. I logged on at 7:50 and got an appointment for my girl by 8:15.

jdubnyce

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
t-dot till they bury me
Regarding the housing crisis in Canada right now. I am just so confused as to how the government is gonna go about it.

First off, housing is ridiculously expensive due to foreign investors buying up property.

But that isn't even Canadians first concern considering wages have been stagnant forever now and if housing prices dropped most millennials will not be able to afford a home regardless.

Lumber is a necessary element of construction and since the NDP completely decimated the lumber mills in BC and Ontario, we don't have the capacity to produce lumber like we once did. And building lumber mills/towns around it takes forever, it isn't as easy as building a mall or something. Now, lumber is exponentially more expensive, there is also a shortage. Coupled with other shortage of materials used to build homes, there isn't a feasible way to build homes to meet up with the demand.

We all know that housing prices isn't going decrease, as our ponzi scheme of an economy runs on it and we will hit great depression without it.

So, what is there to do?

Homelessness is gonna skyrocket post Covid as mass layoff are imminent. Trudeau is gonna ring in 400k immigrants a year (literally london's population), where are these people going to live?

This government is seriously incompetent as fukk no matter which party, we are truly fukked moving forward and everybody has their heads in the sand.

Unsustainable

Price increase of real estate has not been met with even a remotely similar increase in wages/income

If you don't own real estate by now, very hard to get in on your own. Need multiple applicants to qualify.

I was able to buy my own 700 sq ft condo near Square 1 for $180 at 26 after 3 years of saving while in the workforce.
700 sq ft condo in Sauga is probably at least $500 today

Feel bad for folks fresh outta school, early in their careers.

Malcolmxxx_23

Let's go panthers
Supporter
Daps
Next few weekes the govt needs to do a better job im communicating plans for how we will ease restrictions once enough people are vaccinared

Tom Foolery

You're using way too many napkins.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boardwalk and Park Place

So, what is there to do?

The Government is in on it. They already know the future is messed up, so it's about keeping the ship afloat for as long as possible.

The economics in Canada doesn't work. All our money goes out the country to import goods and the only way to bring wealth back in is by allowing rich foreigners to immigrate and buy land.

The future? I think Canada will no longer be an attractive country for the working class. If people are willing to immigrate, they are also willing to emigrate. Which imo will leave you with the Rich and the Poor.

Daps
The Government is in on it. They already know the future is messed up, so it's about keeping the ship afloat for as long as possible.

The economics in Canada doesn't work. All our money goes out the country to import goods and the only way to bring wealth back in is by allowing rich foreigners to immigrate and buy land.

The future? I think Canada will no longer be an attractive country for the working class. If people are willing to immigrate, they are also willing to emigrate. Which imo will leave you with the Rich and the Poor.

I agreee. I don't plan on living here In my 30s tbh. Gonna leave this sinking ship asap.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4

The only reason why so many people still come to canada is because it's literally the easiest western country to get a PR
With express entry and a decent job in your country you can get a pr through express entry in like 6 months

Its not until you come here then you realize that you're bringing home half of your paycheque after taxes/pension, you can't afford to buy a house, and you're living paycheque to paycheque