The Official Toronto Discussion Thread

President Sakora

Supporter
Daps
The Ontario government will use its emergency brake to place the province in a shutdown for at least a month to reverse the rapid rise in COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations, CTV News has learned.

Premier Doug Ford is expected to make the announcement on Thursday. According to sources, the shutdown will begin on April 3.

In the shutdown zone, indoor gatherings are only allowed with members of the same household while outdoor gatherings are limited to five people and physical distancing must be maintained.

Weddings, funerals and other religious services are capped at 15 per cent capacity indoors.

Essential stores will remain open with 50 per cent capacity while other retail establishments will be limited at 25 per cent capacity.

Restaurants can only offer delivery and take-out services in the shutdown zone.

Personal care services, which were supposed to open on April 12, will have to remain closed in the shutdown zone.

Earlier in the day, Ford said that his government will announce restrictions tomorrow as ICU admissions reached a record high.

The latest report from Critical Care Services Ontario (CCSO) reveals that there are now 421 people with COVID-19 in intensive care units, surpassing the peak seen during the second wave of the pandemic in January.

The grim new high comes after 32 more COVID-19 patients were admitted to the ICU on Tuesday and a record 46 admissions on Monday.

“You'll hear an announcement tomorrow but I am very, very concerned to see the cases go up,” Ford said during a press conference on Wednesday in response to a question about why his government isn’t tightening public health restrictions. “I'm very concerned to see the ICU capacity and we all have to be vigilant, and through the holidays over the next few days I'm just asking people don't gather in large groups, don't have big, big gatherings, follow the protocols of the Chief Medical Officer and we'll be able to get through this.”

Experts advising the Ontario government have said that people who contract the B.1.1.7 variant, which is now dominant, face a 63 per cent increased risk of hospitalization and a 103 per cent increased risk of being admitted to intensive care.

That, along with the surging case numbers, have put the health-care system under immense pressure and have forced some GTA hospitals to transfer patients as far away as Kingston in a bid to free up space in their ICUs.

On Wednesday afternoon the COVID-19 Modeling Collaborative released new projections suggesting that the province is on track to have roughly 700 COVID patients intensive care the second week of April and more than 800 the following week.

It says that in a worst-case scenario in which cases grow by an average of seven per cent each day, the number of COVID patients intensive care could surpass 1,800 by the end of the month.

“If the premier doesn’t announce some sort of immediate implementation of public health measures I think he will be abdicating his responsibility to the citizens of Ontario,” Dr. Michael Warner, who is the director of critical care at Michael Garron Hospital, told CP24 earlier on Wednesday morning, prior to Ford’s remarks. “The writing is on the wall. We need to press the pause button. We have to follow the health information and (Chief Medical Officer of Health) Dr. David Williams needs to step up and say that people are getting hurt here and the pandemic is out of control and unless we regain control so many more people will die.”

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
Hope y'all enjoyed the preview of summer while the weather was warm.

:mjgrin:

Summer is canceled.

:takedat:

They don't want to announce it because the people will riot.

Let's see how they handle it.

:lolbron:

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
All pc needs to be voted out

Perhaps but federal government is liberal. We are behind 3rd world countries fro the vaccine. Everyone has failed. Every member of government needs to have their pay paused for the length of the lockdown. You can’t keep fukking people like this. Make them spend all this money to reopen thrn lock them down weeks later. No changes for Toronto but I was in RH and places had indoor dining. Had workers in my house looking at me strange when I told them to mask up.

while this is on the government, there are still too many idiots out there.

jdubnyce

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
t-dot till they bury me
Perhaps but federal government is liberal. We are behind 3rd world countries fro the vaccine. Everyone has failed. Every member of government needs to have their pay paused for the length of the lockdown. Voted out You can’t keep fukking people like this. Make them spend all this money to reopen thrn lock them down weeks later. No changes for Toronto but I was in RH and places had indoor dining. Had workers in my house looking at me strange when I told them to mask up.

while this is on the government, there are still too many idiots out there.

Total failure by these elected officials. There's no way that as one of the G7 and advanced countries on the planet that we should be in this position when it comes to vaccine supply and distribution.

Pathetic.