The Official TNA Discussion Thread

stro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
Got a spam email about Impact Plus, looks like they put stuff that previously was free even without an account (like current Impacts on delay a week or two) is now behind the pay wall, but I was looking at the hidden gems section some of the shyt in there is wild. Almost all of is on Xplosion and I don't even know what the fukk channel that ever aired on. But

:flabbynsick: as hell Mike Awesome vs Jacked to the t*ts Cliff Compton
Austin Aries vs Crash Holly
Okada vs Alex Shelley
AJ vs Bobby Rooooo
AJ vs Shelley vs Sabin
Nakamura vs Elix Skipper
Tanahashi vs Roderick Strong
No Limit vs MCMG

Like...who the fukk were these matches even for? Why did they use their relationship with NJPW to put all their top talent on the syndicated show literally no one even got? :mjlol:

Also lmao at nearly every description of every event or match having typos.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
5mwYaoL.png

:picard:Christ. Rob Van Dam I got the munchies:dwillhuh:

stro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
Watched BFG 2006 last night. At the time it was the biggest show they had ever done, first PPV out of the Impact Zone, just a few days after Kurt Angle debuted with the company and hit Joe with the headbutt.

Over all it was a decent show, nothing great, but some solid stuff.

I forgot how bad TNA's music is/was :mjlol: The music itself sounds so cheap and generic, but they also used bootleg instrumentals from POD and Linkin Park as general themes that sound like they were made in whatever version of Fruity Loops/FL Studio was out in 2006. The hard cuts between songs is also so jarring.

Forgot all about the Austin Starr gimmick, lol at "strutting around after every move" counted as charisma and a gimmick for Austin Aries. Nash on commentary making non stop insider drops and dated references to 1970s TV shows and sports stars :mjlol: I also forgot how much I disliked Mike Tenay as a lead announcer :picard:

They leaned a little too hard on "crazy brawl" gimmicks for the show, as they had a Monsters Ball, street fight, AND cage match. All three were bloody, out of control affairs. Monsters Ball had Jake Roberts as special referee (he ends up hitting a DDT on Raven), the street fight had hilarious plastic street lights put around the ramp to make sure you knew it was 8 Mile and was built around Rhino having a bunch of concussions, and the cage match still had frequent Konnan interference, possibly even more than a regular tag match :mjlol:

That said, LAX vs AJ/Daniels was pretty good, probably the best match of the show, Homicide's gringo killer at the finish is maybe the most reckless I've ever seen :picard:
Vt4dQFk.jpg

Sting vs Jeff Jarrett was something. Sting comes back after a 2 month break in the best physical shape he's been in since 1996, added color back to his attire, and is a hybrid of Surfer and Crow Stings. Then the match starts and the story is interesting as it's worked like Jeff Jarrett as the young guy who has the vet's number, with Sting getting more and more frustrated to the point of taking powders and stalling to gain his composure, and it's weird to see that play out with the heel/face dynamics reversed...but then it gets into normal TNA fukkery with special enforcer Kurt Angle taking a chair shot, then returning to the match to eliminate the ref so he can take over the ref, then finisher kick outs, then the finish is Sting no selling a guitar shot and immediately locking on the deathlock to win the title :mjlol: Despite Sting being in the best shape he'd been in in many years, he still blew up about half way through the match and the ring rust story was dropped for general fukkery brawl.

On the other hand, this show also gave time to Larry Zybysko, Shane Douglas, Jake Roberts, and Jim Cornette (who couldn't even speak because he was sick and ultimately wasn't even needed for his segment, which was a Joe/Angle brawl, which could have been done just the same with Angle coming out to the crowd without Cornette talking first). I'm quite sure Kurt was fukked up, although on what I'm not sure. His glassy eyes and slurred, hoarse speech were giveaways, but he was also very excitable and aggressive, so I'm guessing he was liquored up and then did a line of coke or something. Plenty of missed camera shots and some of the biggest spots in multiple matches had to be shown on replay to be seen at all (this was hilarious in the Monsters Ball where the camera would focus on Jake Roberts looking disgusted and you could hear whatever big spot, but only see Jake just kind of staring off and shaking his head). There was also quite a bit of awkward down time with the street fight needing a "set" to be put up, and the cage taking forever to be put up. Instead of video packages and promos, they'd just have DW and Tenay talk about how great and popular TNA is and repeat themselves for 5-10 minutes.

This show also reminded me how bad mid 00s fashion was. :hhh:

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Watched BFG 2006 last night. At the time it was the biggest show they had ever done, first PPV out of the Impact Zone, just a few days after Kurt Angle debuted with the company and hit Joe with the headbutt.

Over all it was a decent show, nothing great, but some solid stuff.

I forgot how bad TNA's music is/was :mjlol: The music itself sounds so cheap and generic, but they also used bootleg instrumentals from POD and Linkin Park as general themes that sound like they were made in whatever version of Fruity Loops/FL Studio was out in 2006. The hard cuts between songs is also so jarring.
Forgot all about the Austin Starr gimmick, lol at "strutting around after every move" counted as charisma and a gimmick for Austin Aries. Nash on commentary making non stop insider drops and dated references to 1970s TV shows and sports stars :mjlol: I also forgot how much I disliked Mike Tenay as a lead announcer :picard:

They leaned a little too hard on "crazy brawl" gimmicks for the show, as they had a Monsters Ball, street fight, AND cage match. All three were bloody, out of control affairs. Monsters Ball had Jake Roberts as special referee (he ends up hitting a DDT on Raven), the street fight had hilarious plastic street lights put around the ramp to make sure you knew it was 8 Mile and was built around Rhino having a bunch of concussions, and the cage match still had frequent Konnan interference, possibly even more than a regular tag match :mjlol:

That said, LAX vs AJ/Daniels was pretty good, probably the best match of the show, Homicide's gringo killer at the finish is maybe the most reckless I've ever seen :picard:
Vt4dQFk.jpg

Sting vs Jeff Jarrett was something. Sting comes back after a 2 month break in the best physical shape he's been in since 1996, added color back to his attire, and is a hybrid of Surfer and Crow Stings. Then the match starts and the story is interesting as it's worked like Jeff Jarrett as the young guy who has the vet's number, with Sting getting more and more frustrated to the point of taking powders and stalling to gain his composure, and it's weird to see that play out with the heel/face dynamics reversed...but then it gets into normal TNA fukkery with special enforcer Kurt Angle taking a chair shot, then returning to the match to eliminate the ref so he can take over the ref, then finisher kick outs, then the finish is Sting no selling a guitar shot and immediately locking on the deathlock to win the title :mjlol: Despite Sting being in the best shape he'd been in in many years, he still blew up about half way through the match and the ring rust story was dropped for general fukkery brawl.

On the other hand, this show also gave time to Larry Zybysko, Shane Douglas, Jake Roberts, and Jim Cornette (who couldn't even speak because he was sick and ultimately wasn't even needed for his segment, which was a Joe/Angle brawl, which could have been done just the same with Angle coming out to the crowd without Cornette talking first). I'm quite sure Kurt was fukked up, although on what I'm not sure. His glassy eyes and slurred, hoarse speech were giveaways, but he was also very excitable and aggressive, so I'm guessing he was liquored up and then did a line of coke or something. Plenty of missed camera shots and some of the biggest spots in multiple matches had to be shown on replay to be seen at all (this was hilarious in the Monsters Ball where the camera would focus on Jake Roberts looking disgusted and you could hear whatever big spot, but only see Jake just kind of staring off and shaking his head). There was also quite a bit of awkward down time with the street fight needing a "set" to be put up, and the cage taking forever to be put up. Instead of video packages and promos, they'd just have DW and Tenay talk about how great and popular TNA is and repeat themselves for 5-10 minutes.

This show also reminded me how bad mid 00s fashion was. :hhh:

Dude...the Asylum Years gave us gems like this:scust:

giphy.gif

stro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
Jerry Lynn literally takes his employee badge off, throws it at Chris Sabin's feet, says "This isn't the office talking, this is me talking"

Tenay's call: "It's almost like he's symbolically saying that 'I'm throwing down my employee badge and gettin' right in your face, man to man.'"

:dahell:

stro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
Every time they show DW and Tenay on camera, Tenay is clearly trying to not be noticed looking down at the script while making the most absurd bird faces to cover for it. Don West, the guy who had never called pro wrestling, was actually better at not being so blatant at looking at the script when they're on camera. Mike Tenay was always a terrible lead guy, he worked only as the expert guy popping in with the puro/lucha knowledge and historical facts on guys you might be unfamiliar with. As a lead play by play, he'd just hammer you over the head with the stories being told in a John Madden kind of way and making constant references but then drawing attention to him making the reference and then explaining the reference. He was this way when he got to take lead on Thunder as well, so it isn't just a TNA thing, it's a Mike Tenay thing.

That said, Mike Tenay > Josh Matthews, but that's damning with faint praise.

stro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
The PPV descriptions for 2009/2010 are so fukking weird:

February 8, 2009. Features Sting vs. Kurt Angle vs. Brother Ray vs. Brother Devon for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship from Orlando, FL.

:picard:

May 24, 2009. Featuring Sting vs. Mick Foley vs. Kurt Angle vs. Jeff Jarrett in a four-way Ultimate Sacrifice match, plus AJ Styles vs. Booker T in an I Quit match from Orlando, FL.

:francis:

July 19, 2009. Features Kurt Angle vs. Mick Foley for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship, plus AJ Styles vs. Kevin Nash for the TNA Legends Championship from Orlando, FL.

:stopitslime:

August 16, 2009. Features Kurt Angle vs. Sting vs. Matt Morgan for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship, plus The Main Event Mafia vs. Team 3D for the TNA Tag Team Championship from Orlando, FL.

:hhh:

September 20, 2009. Features AJ Styles vs. Kurt Angle vs. Matt Morgan vs. Sting vs. Hernandez for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship, plus Bobby Lashley's in-ring PPV debut vs. Rhino from Orlando, FL.

:lolbron:

February 14, 2010. Features AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship, plus the Nasty Boys vs. Team 3D and the 8 Card Stud Tournament from Orlando, FL.

:russ:

August 8, 2010. ECW rides once more as Rob Van Dam vs. Sabu in a Hardcore Rules match, Raven vs. Tommy Dreamer and Team 3D vs. Axl Rotten and Balls Mahoney highlight an epic reunion show from Orlando, FL.

:martin:

Boy do I not remember the main event pushes of Matt Morgan or Hernandez at all.