The Official The Leftovers Season 2 Thread

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
You really don't see this show trying to be deep?

From the recurring $50k (someone point that out in this thread and didn't even mention that Nora put $50k deposit on the house they wanted to rent) to Lily being a "bridge" and the most obvious being the opening scene of the second season and how that symbolism played throughout the season and fit with both the town and the characters. It's certainly more than just showing people's reactions to the rapture. It's trying to say something.
Meh. I don't think it's trying to "say" anything about the human condition. I mean you say its trying to say something but you can't tell me what it's trying to say. The show is fukkery for fukkery purposes. I don't see any metaphorical messages in this show.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
the show is great at evoking real emotions and creating good emotional moments with the characters but I don't see how that's trying to be deep or pseudointellectual. Meh. I feel like calling something pseudointellectual is just a blanket insult, I've seen people say the same things about films like Donnie Darko, Inception, Primer and films of the ilk.

Daps
Meh. I don't think it's trying to "say" anything about the human condition. I mean you say its trying to say something but you can't tell me what it's trying to say. The show is fukkery for fukkery purposes. I don't see any metaphorical messages in this show.

If it was just about showing a few people's reaction to the departure, why did they start with a pre-civilization depiction of Jarden? With the mother falling and another woman taking her baby?

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
Not really. Maybe we have different definitions of what constitutes attempting to be deep or being pseudointellectual. The show is obtuse as fukk but I didn't get any "fake deep" vibes from the show in the slightest.
dont get me wrong i still like the show

but i get the "let's put the Lost spin to make the audience think there is some deeper meaning they need to crack" mode from season 2

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
If it was just about showing a few people's reaction to the departure, why did they start with a pre-civilization depiction of Jarden? With the mother falling and another woman taking her baby?
That scene can be interpreted in a lot of different ways. The earthquake killed her tribe, essentially they departed and she was the leftover. she gives birth and dies from a snake bite and someone else takes the child to care for it. where else did that happen in the show? :jbhmm: Nora ends up raising holy wayne and asian girls baby. I'm not saying the show doesn't get weird as fukk but I don't see how that scene is fake deep or psuedointellectual.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
dont get me wrong i still like the show

but i get the "let's put the Lost spin to make the audience think there is some deeper meaning they need to crack" mode from season 2
I mean, that's pretty much Lindelof's style. And in some ways I actually dig it, even though he can go too far with it. I feel like we're going down the rabbit hole but I also don't expect any concrete answers or for there to be some ultimate answer for everything that is going on. I guess my whole point is that I wouldn't label that "fake deep" or "pseudointellectual".

Hi!

Bushes Hall Of Famer
Daps
Reppin
Bloomington
Aint no way you can tell me that this piff shouldn't of been the intro song to Season 2. Should of just kept it like The Wire and had different versions for the same song every year :ohlawd:

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
It prolly is the second best, is westworld wort watching? Wasn't really impressed with the first ep
Its really good but it is already being massively overrated before it has proven itself

There aren't many good characters in my opinion, which is The Leftovers and Game of Thrones biggest strengths

There is a lot of intrigue and it is very visceral and discussion-worthy, but it has a lot to prove still