The Official The Leftovers Season 2 Thread

BAMBA

The Menace
Supporter
Daps
I'm actually surprised at some of the reactions to this episode, since I thought it was the best episode this series has produced to date. The main reason being that while some people feel the supernatural elements of the show are irrelevant, and that the show is really about the human condition and how we deal with depression, trauma, etc....I can't help but mainly be interested in the the supernatural elements.

At the end of the day, there are a million TV shows that deal with the human condition...but not many take place in such a fantastic setting. In other words, I need to eventually know what happened to the people who disappeared...I don't want some ambivalent "well, you never know" or lazy "it was just a dream" type of ending. This last episode went a long way in explaining what is going on by introducing the concept of Purgatory...because it leaves two very distinct directions to go from there for everyone else.

johnnydakota

Star, "Skateboard High"
Supporter
Daps
My reaction to this episode pretty much matches up with Michaels take on the final scene.... "holy shyt"

Not sure if thoughts and comments on last nights episode require spoilers but I'll use them just to be safe.

Kevins Dad on that psychadelic trip, broadcasting to hotel purgatory. Looked similar to an ayahuasca ceremony, I think he called it "God's Tounge".

Saw someone link to this on twitter.... Remember that news broadcast from earlier in the season?

Broadcaster: "Resurrection, that's the claim in Australia, as witnesses described a man previously believed dead, emerging from a cave in Wanneroo, outside the city of Perth." Australian dude (witness) :" walked out covered in mozzie bites, saying he'd just been in a hotel! " Reporter:" The man, identified as David Burton" TV turns off

Last edited:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I figured Kevin would come back, and it's been on my mind all week leading up to the episode.

"Holy shyt" was right. Virgil wasn't lying, he was his guide on the other side and everything he told Kevin was true. Only minor hiccup was the Patty double which was :mindblown: in itself, but I had a hunch that the little kid was Patty when the episode started and she was just drowning in the pool for some reason.

Here's what I think is going to happen...

Michael's father is going to go after Kevin because of that hand print match. And a part of me feels like he's going to end up killing him for his daughter's disappearance. He's not going to be able to fathom any story that Kev says... not going to matter because of the concrete evidence he has with hand print match

We gonna be saying RIP Kevin again before this series is over with
:mjcry:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Yeah... I'm going with he was dreaming and the poison just made him seem dead.
:what:

He was dead and buried. Virgil offed himself, all the people in that 'Hotel' were dead breh. When that quake started while he was in the well I was like :whoo:

• Dap
Reactions: Hi!

Czerka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:what:

He was dead and buried. Virgil offed himself, all the people in that 'Hotel' were dead breh. When that quake started while he was in the well I was like :whoo:
Mary was in the hotel too and she's not dead unless she died while Kevin was poisoned. SHES "brain dead" so her consciousness is trapped there

also, virgil told kevin he would be there to guide him, so its possible kevin just dreamed it.

the metaphors though :ohlawd: kevin coming out of the dirt like regina was talking about the birds :ohlawd: so has it been threee days later? if it was three days later that he was buried in the ground i dont think theres anyway he dreamed it all, like how people think virgil gave him something that makes you look dead for a few hours

thank you lindelof :to:

johnnydakota

Star, "Skateboard High"
Supporter
Daps
any ideas on that aussie dude on that bridge, who he was or what he meant?

Could be the dude who emerged from the cave in the news report heard earlier this season.

"Resurrection, that's the claim in Australia, as witnesses described a man previously believed dead, emerging from a cave in Wanneroo, outside the city of Perth." Australian dude (witness) :" walked out covered in mozzie bites, saying he'd just been in a hotel! " Reporter:" The man, identified as David Burton" TV turns off

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
From Lindelof about the ep:

The Leftovers is a show based on a supernatural premise and although we want the storytelling to feel as grounded as possible, the presence of Patti after her death flirts directly with that premise. We knew when we designed the season that Kevin’s main thrust this year would be ridding himself of Patti and this episode was the culmination of that story. There are those who don’t like it when the show gets “too weird” and they are likely to assume this episode was all in Kevin’s head… an ongoing fever dream catalyzed by whatever Virgil made him drink… A further manifestation of the psychosis Laurie diagnosed.

There are also those who will assign a supernatural interpretation to this episode. “Goddammit, here goes Lindelof with the Purgatory nonsense again… WE GET IT, a$$hole!”

It is not our place to explain ourselves nor clarify this debate. The show has to speak for itself on this front. I make no apologies for this as Tom, the writers and I have always been upfront about the storytelling on this show being purposefully ambiguous… The Leftovers isn’t about answers, it’s about the frustration of not getting them and the emotional state that drives our characters to. Like throwing rocks through the windows of people we feel sympathy for or drinking poison.

All that said, our intention here was simple. To try to do something different. And unexpected. And above all, emotional.

And regardless of what people think of the writing and/or storytelling, I hope they can appreciate the incredible performances from Justin and Ann who committed to this fully and fearlessly… I am proud and honored to be the beneficiary of their immense talents.

Oh. And there’s still two episodes to go.”

Hi!

Bushes Hall Of Famer
Daps
Reppin
Bloomington
any ideas on that aussie dude on that bridge, who he was or what he meant?

Could be the dude who emerged from the cave in the news report heard earlier this season.

"Resurrection, that's the claim in Australia, as witnesses described a man previously believed dead, emerging from a cave in Wanneroo, outside the city of Perth." Australian dude (witness) :" walked out covered in mozzie bites, saying he'd just been in a hotel! " Reporter:" The man, identified as David Burton" TV turns off

Yeah thats who I think it was too.

and :dead: at Lindelof being Lindelof :troll:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Mary was in the hotel too and she's not dead unless she died while Kevin was poisoned. SHES "brain dead" so her consciousness is trapped there

also, virgil told kevin he would be there to guide him, so its possible kevin just dreamed it.

the metaphors though :ohlawd: kevin coming out of the dirt like regina was talking about the birds :ohlawd: so has it been threee days later? if it was three days later that he was buried in the ground i dont think theres anyway he dreamed it all, like how people think virgil gave him something that makes you look dead for a few hours

thank you lindelof :to:
Yeah, I'm sticking to he was dead because even if he was "alive" and dreamed up everything, he would have suffocated while being buried for however long.

And I did see Marry in there... maybe if Kevin ends up back in there he can help her.
:lupe: