The Official The Leftovers Season 2 Thread

Daps
Not really...because the Spanish dude at the intake with Matt and Mary telling Matt the same line Mary used in Matt's "vision" about having to get Mary back inside the city or the baby will die makes it just as likely that Mary woke up again.
Based on what exactly? There isn't a period in which she could've woke up and told him, without Matt also witnessing it. But if there's the possibility this may have taken place during the time in which he wasn't with her, during the scuffle - there's a lady sitting next to them and she asks "Is she pretending?" which is the contrast to what the "Spanish dude" is about to tell him. Not only that but the Park Rangers or somebody else within the vicinity would've heard her too. If you watch the scene again, you'll see that he says it in a manner as if she didn't really literally wake up and tell him. By him saying "He will die; she says if you don't get her back inside, he will die" prior to gazing off into the abyss while holding his hands in a prayer-like motion - from what I can gather she told him through some higher power translating it to him, spiritual telepathy or like how most things happen in this show - something we'll never get a plausible explanation for (in which they'll put it in a box with a religious/evangelist seal - keeping with the whole "God speaks to people" bathos).

The most credible scene in which we can determine whether she actually woke up or not, is when Matt's attacked - because it's the only scene in which the viewer sees her speak, which is through the eyes of Matt. Once Matt is hit over the head and he falls in and out of a state of consciousness, we view what's happening through his POV (hence the shaky, out of focus low angle shots - with the dad's and son's voices sounding as if they were in the distance).

Once the dad and son leave after taking their wristbands, he falls unconscious again. Then we cut straight to him gazing up into the clouds (again, this is from his POV) and we hear her call out Matt while the camera remains in this state. Then it immediately switches to this shot -

wLUmUF6.png

As you can see the shot is clear; at no point during this brief moment do we hear his wife speak. Then it cuts back into his POV -

MUfMMNS.png

As you can see it's gone back to being out of focus, as if he's still in a dazed state. And this continues where she tells Matt to get them "back in" or else she'll lose the baby - then it appears as though the camera is back in focus (as if he's made himself aware that this is actually happening). As he gets up and begins to collect himself, there's another brief moment where the camera is adjusting on his wife.

When he finally approaches the car to see if she's still 'awake' -

RAG7am6.png

Everything in the shot is as clear as day and it was as if though their exchange never took place at all.

Now by no means am I saying that she definitely didn't wake up at any point, it's just that everything that has been presented to us so far leads one to believe she didn't. My guess is that we'll probably never find out and it'll just be one of 'God's mysteries'.

:manny:

Last edited:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Based on what exactly? There isn't a period in which she could've woke up and told him, without Matt also witnessing it. But if there's the possibility this may have taken place during the time in which he wasn't with her, during the scuffle - there's a lady sitting next to them and she asks "Is she pretending?" which is the contrast to what the "Spanish dude" is about to tell him. Not only that but the Park Rangers or somebody else within the vicinity would've heard her too. If you watch the scene again, you'll see that he says it in a manner as if she didn't really literally wake up and tell him. By him saying "He will die; she says if you don't get her back inside, he will die" prior to gazing off into the abyss while holding his hands in a prayer-like motion - from what I can gather she told him through some higher power translating it to him, spiritual telepathy or like how most things happen in this show - something we'll never get a plausible explanation for (in which they'll put it in a box with a religious/evangelist seal - keeping with the whole "God speaks to people" bathos).

The most credible scene in which we can determine whether she actually woke up or not, is when Matt's attacked - because it's the only scene in which the viewer sees her speak, which is through the eyes of Matt. Once Matt is hit over the head and he falls in and out of a state of consciousness, we view what's happening through his POV (hence the shaky, out of focus low angle shots - with the dad's and son's voices sounding as if they were in the distance).

Once the dad and son leave after taking their wristbands, he falls unconscious again. Then we cut straight to him gazing up into the clouds (again, this is from his POV) and we hear her call out Matt while the camera remains in this state. Then it immediately switches to this shot -

wLUmUF6.png

As you can see the shot is clear; at no point during this brief moment do we hear his wife speak. Then it cuts back into his POV -

MUfMMNS.png

As you can see it's gone back to being out of focus, as if he's still in a dazed state. And this continues where she tells Matt to get them "back in" or else she'll lose the baby - then it appears as though the camera is back in focus (as if he's made himself aware that this is actually happening). As he gets up and begins to collect himself, there's another brief moment where the camera is adjusting on his wife.

When he finally approaches the car to see if she's still 'awake' -

RAG7am6.png

Everything in the shot is as clear as day and it was as if though their exchange never took place at all.

Now by no means am I saying that she definitely didn't wake up at any point, it's just that everything that has been presented to us so far leads one to believe she didn't. My guess is that we'll probably never find out and it'll just be one of 'God's mysteries'.

:manny:
I just re-watched the scene (cause its still on my DVR) and the only time the picture was out of focus was when Matt first woke up and looked at Mary as she was calling his name. Everything after that was clear as day including the parts of Mary saying she was going to lose the baby and that Matt had to get them back inside.

And the guy at intake could have gotten a divine message that made him warn Matt about having to get Mary back inside or the baby would die. All of it is mystical in nature so there would not be any situation where the guy overheard or where Mary woke up for a few seconds to have a chat with a stranger. Just like God woke Mary up then God sent a message through the dude at the intake area.

• Dap
Reactions: Hi!

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
Ratings are down 59% from last season. shyt might get cancelled brehs.

If we dont get a third season they better answer those big questions by the finale.

True Blue Moon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
VA. Living in the City of Angels
Ratings are down 59% from last season. shyt might get cancelled brehs.

If we dont get a third season they better answer those big questions by the finale.

To be fair, the first season aired in June. This season is going up against football and the World Series. HBO had to expect a dip if they're being realistic.

Uncle_Ruckus

We The North
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
To be fair, the first season aired in June. This season is going up against football and the World Series. HBO had to expect a dip if they're being realistic.
Not to mention season 1 was awful and most people didnt want to give season 2 a chance. I know multiple people that refuse to watch season 2 because they hated season 1. You cant blame 1 million viewers drop on sports breh. It is what it is. HBO isnt some regular cable channel. People just arent watching this season point blank.

True Blue Moon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
VA. Living in the City of Angels
Not to mention season 1 was awful and most people didnt want to give season 2 a chance. I know multiple people that refuse to watch season 2 because they hated season 1. You cant blame 1 million viewers drop on sports breh. It is what it is. HBO isnt some regular cable channel. People just arent watching this season point blank.

I'm not blaming that big a drop solely on sports, I'm saying it doesn't necessarily mean they're panicking and ready to hit the cancel button and had to expect lower numbers. Like you said, it's HBO, they play by different rules. Shows like Girls keep getting new seasons while hitting all-time rating lows and growing in critical acclaim.

But there's no way they didn't expect a significant drop by switching to the fall. Everyone but Shonda has had to bow down to the NFL :wow:

Daps
I just re-watched the scene (cause its still on my DVR) and the only time the picture was out of focus was when Matt first woke up and looked at Mary as she was calling his name. Everything after that was clear as day including the parts of Mary saying she was going to lose the baby and that Matt had to get them back inside.
:dwillhuh:

I think you need to watch that scene again. She called his name out during this shot (which is out of focus) -

LgKNurE.png

Then it cuts to this shot (she doesn't say anything during this) -

wLUmUF6.png

Then it cuts to this shot (which is out of focus), where she says "Matt we have to hurry, you have to get us back in" -

MUfMMNS.png

Followed by him opening his eyes and the camera is back in focus (as if he believes that this is actually happening - when it's not), where she continues to talk to trick the viewer into believing it's real like Matt is observing. As he gets up and begins to collect himself, there's another brief moment where the camera is still adjusting (showing us he's still not in a complete coherent state, just yet). Why do you think they purposefully took the approach to clearly show you his wife literally speaking through an out of focus shot to establish the scene? It was to show the viewer that it was him clearly seeing/hearing things that weren't there.
And the guy at intake could have gotten a divine message that made him warn Matt about having to get Mary back inside or the baby would die.

That's exactly what I said above. You made it seem as though she actually woke up and told him.
All of it is mystical in nature so there would not be any situation where the guy overheard or where Mary woke up for a few seconds to have a chat with a stranger. Just like God woke Mary up then God sent a message through the dude at the intake area.

Which is why she didn't {unlikely] actually wake up like you previously stated -
I believe that his wife woke up and they had consensual sex then she went back to her catatonic state.
Dude is just constantly punishing himself for all sorts of reasons, real and imagined, that started long before he came to this town in Texas and this is just a continuation of it.
Everything that he's witnessing and believes is through an "act of God", because that's who his character is.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You

I think you need to watch that scene again. She called his name out during this shot (which is out of focus) -

LgKNurE.png

Then it cuts to this shot (she doesn't say anything during this) -

wLUmUF6.png

Then it cuts to this shot (which is out of focus), where she says "Matt we have to hurry, you have to get us back in" -

MUfMMNS.png

Followed by him opening his eyes and the camera is back in focus (as if he believes that this is actually happening - when it's not), where she continues to talk to trick the viewer into believing it's real like Matt is observing. As he gets up and begins to collect himself, there's another brief moment where the camera is still adjusting (showing us he's still not in a complete coherent state, just yet). Why do you think they purposefully took the approach to clearly show you his wife literally speaking through an out of focus shot to establish the scene? It was to show the viewer that it was him clearly seeing/hearing things that weren't there.

That's exactly what I said above. You made it seem as though she actually woke up and told him.

Which is why she didn't {unlikely] actually wake up like you previously stated -

Everything that he's witnessing and believes is through an "act of God", because that's who his character is.
Bruh I was watching the scene as I was writing my post...the camera was only hazy when matt first woke up. After that it was perfectly clear including when Mary was speaking the second time.
Maybe you should hit up OnDemand and refresh your memory.