The Official Stand-Up Comedy Thread.

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
:)
i killed last night but it's bittersweet. i had so much time that i didn't take advantage of because i was blacking out on my material. everyone loved it but i'm mad at myself for not taking the time to work out more stuff. i'm so concerned with leaving the stage while they're laughing that i literally sold myself short! i had them and i let them go. always finish strong, brehs!

irishfury

Get Money Gang
Daps
Everyone in here dropping work I've been impressed. Love seeing people share knowledge and cheer each other on to be successful. I think their is some great talent in here and I would sure as fukk watch a 60 minute special from some of ya. Any body in the So Cal area? I got hook ups at some big places I might be able to help.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
i've been subbing comics on youtube like hotcakes lately. hmu if ya got a page. not even fishing for subs back that it would be nice. haha. i need to get on the podcast grind, too. lemme know if ya got something going on.

NonPareil

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Being a white comic is like being given a racism detector. All i have to do is tell people i do stand up and wait for them to tell me an awful racist joke followed by "you should use that in your act"

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Being a white comic is like being given a racism detector. All i have to do is tell people i do stand up and wait for them to tell me an awful racist joke followed by "you should use that in your act"

i stopped telling people i was a comic. the suggestions i get are so juvenile.

on the flipside to your point, people expect you to talk about racism if you're a black comic.

next time that happens just tell them in the most sincere voice you can "i don't have the balls to do that...but you should become a comic!"

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
woooo haha. i did it good and i was just working. i opened and closed with the tried and true jokes and worked the middle just like aaliyah would have wanted. big ups to my comics that grind every day.

real talk...it you don't do this 7 days a week, you aren't grinding. no opinion on it, it's a fact.

NonPareil

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's my goal for today to find my "angry voice." Up to this point everything I've done has been all goofy and off the wall. I want to take a Bill Burr type route, but it's hard to pull off angry while still being funny

NonPareil

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It sucks living where i do. Theres really not a big scene to speak of. Only two real clubs and and only one does amateur nights, sporadically. Otherwise you have to find spots at random bars. I really want to get my grind on cause ive written a ton of new shyt i wanna try out and that anticipations killing me

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
It's my goal for today to find my "angry voice." Up to this point everything I've done has been all goofy and off the wall. I want to take a Bill Burr type route, but it's hard to pull off angry while still being funny

i've been trying to do this, too. i'm a big fan of going with what's working but i do have many topics that i have an attitude about. it can be hard being the angry comic if you're insincere from what i've tried, but if you've got a good bit it should work. also, with pretty much anything in stand-up, you've got to have people on your side.

It sucks living where i do. Theres really not a big scene to speak of. Only two real clubs and and only one does amateur nights, sporadically. Otherwise you have to find spots at random bars. I really want to get my grind on cause ive written a ton of new shyt i wanna try out and that anticipations killing me

are you able to travel or start a show? or maybe a youtube channel? just ideas i've been thinking of myself. i've been doing a 'joke a day' type thing on facebook just to stay sharp and on the timeline. another thing that i'm learning is that you've got to be at this all the time. i made it a point to go out every single day to either open mic or just watch and hang out. when people see you really grinding and putting your heart into it, they want to help. i'm no pro obviously but i know about that anticipation.