The Official Stand-Up Comedy Thread.

NonPareil

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
went to a room where i normally bomb.

business as usual. (pusha t 'yeclk')

i know it's part of the game put i really thought i was going to kill with this material that's been working everywhere else.

somebody talk me off the ledge :sadcam:

Whats the main difference between your struggle room and the rooms you do well? Size of room, type of people who go, etc.

I know my awkward style ive been using isnt as engaging for a small crowd and def sucks in a dive setting. You have to kind of play with your presentation, maybe

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
:)
Whats the main difference between your struggle room and the rooms you do well? Size of room, type of people who go, etc.

I know my awkward style ive been using isnt as engaging for a small crowd and def sucks in a dive setting. You have to kind of play with your presentation, maybe

very true. i started off well with a small crowd but then i slipped into my "this is a big room" mode for some reason. i should have kept it intimate. i really didn't read the situation properly which is a must. the biggest difference is that this is a room that starts at 1am and the crowd isn't even there for comedy. they are there to drink and gamble...oh local vegas...it's literally a work out room but i still want to kill it like a 9pm gig.

on the flip side, they were listening and told me that i was funny 20 minutes after the set is over.

illwittdeez

aka Breh Wyatt
Daps
Reppin
Da Yo 330, Ohio
This Saturday is my big day I open for a comedy show we're doing me and 8 other comics I practiced a bit of my routine this past monday at our local open mic it went well with the crowd hopefully I can get my act recorded this saturday so I can post it here I know yall don't sugarcoat shyt.

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
This Saturday is my big day I open for a comedy show we're doing me and 8 other comics I practiced a bit of my routine this past monday at our local open mic it went well with the crowd hopefully I can get my act recorded this saturday so I can post it here I know yall don't sugarcoat shyt.

you can never have too much practice. good luck to you man. i hope i get to peep it. there are also pretty honest as far a criticism goes on the standup subreddit if you get recorded and want more exposure.

NonPareil

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
good luck breh. Just remember to have fun when you're up there

irishfury

Get Money Gang
Daps

Second ever time on stage. Felt a lot like I sucked, because I did. Stage presence is awful and the last joke was tacked on and bad lol, but its fun just doing it

This didn't suck at all. Your balls deep into the dildo shyt was great made me lol.

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ok so what would so do here?

there's an weekly open mic contest and if you win you get a paid spot ($50 :ehh:) at their showcase on saturday night. you want the cash so you want to go but this contest is in a room that you've never played before, and it's also a strip club. would you just go for it and stand up tonight or go and scope the place out so you know what you're dealing with next week?

NonPareil

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Make like Nike and just do it. Thats a good gig
ok so what would so do here?

there's an weekly open mic contest and if you win you get a paid spot ($50 :ehh:) at their showcase on saturday night. you want the cash so you want to go but this contest is in a room that you've never played before, and it's also a strip club. would you just go for it and stand up tonight or go and scope the place out so you know what you're dealing with next week?

NonPareil

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Other comics in here... how often are yall actively writing new material? Ive noticed most the regulars at the spots here do the same shyt over and over. I hate the idea of that though. Ive written maybe 4-5 solid five minute sets and performed 3 of them.

Is your focus mainly to perfect an act that works, or to be as diverse as possible? This is tough for me because there are so few venues, getting stage time is a bytch, so i want to kill, but i want to experiment too.

Ive got a three round talent search tournament coming up im excited for, i know i can get past round one, i just want to see what these other dudes will have when forced to mix it up, because i stay writing

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Other comics in here... how often are yall actively writing new material? Ive noticed most the regulars at the spots here do the same shyt over and over. I hate the idea of that though. Ive written maybe 4-5 solid five minute sets and performed 3 of them.

Is your focus mainly to perfect an act that works, or to be as diverse as possible? This is tough for me because there are so few venues, getting stage time is a bytch, so i want to kill, but i want to experiment too.

Ive got a three round talent search tournament coming up im excited for, i know i can get past round one, i just want to see what these other dudes will have when forced to mix it up, because i stay writing

oh you going for the comedy central thing or something else? either way, good luck but from what i've seen, i believe you'll do well. it's good to be tenacious with your writing, too.

repetition is essential imo but if i can't tell the joke with confidence, even if it works, i leave it out. i work on a solid five and then add and switch bits that come up. plus i'll do the same stuff in different rooms because you never know who's going to be there. i've been on the same 5 (which has drastically changed now that i think about it) for ~month and i am tempted to bank it and start a new 5 and keep working it out that way. this is for my main act in general but i do have some jokes if i need to be clean and mos def some if i need to get really dirty. i write a lot as well and come to think of it, i actually need to sit down and look back at the book. almost everything i use on stage is from my 'aha' moments so i dont write it, i voice record it and then practice and punch that up. some of these jokes need a chance at the light, many don't though haha.