The Official Stand-Up Comedy Thread.

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
I do stand up, tonight I went to my usual tuesday night open mic with almost no prepared material, i just did improv and crowd work and i did the best ive ever doing doing those things. I dedicated my set to trayvon martin and when i said that the crowd groaned like there were expecting some offensive joke and then i berated them for not respecting the death of trayvon. eventually i asked a woman what her job was and it turned out she was a phone sex operator(doing crowd work this was like striking gold:ahh:) i got some good laughs doing a pretend phone sex call with her and got off stage feeling :blessed: :ahh:

i feel great right now :ahh:

Any footage of one of your sets breh?

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
no i dont have any way to record my sets right now. im about to invest in a voice recorder or something:win:

That's wassup. I have the utmost respect for stand up comedians because that shyt is maybe the most difficult form of entertainment there is. I would be fukking terrified to get on stage. A lot of people think they are funny until they get on stage and everyone is stone faced lol.

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
:)
i'ma take a page outta @ugksam book and do some crowd work tonight. i might be :to: on here later tonight tho.

Last edited by a moderator:

ugksam

The White King TuT
Daps
i'ma take a page outta @ugksam book and do some crowd work tonight. i might be :to: on here later tonight tho.

Good Luck. I was on an ego high from my improv/crowd work set on tuesday so i tried the shyt again last night and it did not work at all. :sadbron:

it rained yesterday so their was barely any crowd (like 6 people who werent comedians) so before my set i was in my head thinking like "fukk it this shyt doesnt matter anyways im just gonna imrov my set" and then when i got on stage with that horrible attitude i started bombing and of course that made me not want to bomb so i tried to turn it around with some jokes i have but that didnt work because i had dug myself so far into a hole with incredibly lazy improving and half assed crowd work that there was no coming back from it. :sadbron:

Last edited by a moderator:

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good Luck. I was on an ego high from my improv/crowd work set on tuesday so i tried the shyt again last night and it did not work at all. :sadbron:

it rained yesterday so their was barely any crowd (like 6 people who werent comedians) so before my set i was in my head thinking like "fukk it this shyt doesnt matter anyways im just gonna imrov my set" and then when i got on stage with that horrible attitude i started bombing and of course that made me not want to bomb so i tried to turn it around with some jokes i have but that didnt work because i had dug myself so far into a hole with incredibly lazy improving and half assed crowd work that there was no coming back from it. :sadbron:

bombing comes with the job. i'm really trying to work on some jokes because im about to make a trip outta town and i really want to impress. i guess i'm just psyching myself to do good crowd work becuase i'm just not into my written stuff right now.:yeshrug:

ugksam

The White King TuT
Daps

bombing comes with the job. i'm really trying to work on some jokes because im about to make a trip outta town and i really want to impress. i guess i'm just psyching myself to do good crowd work becuase i'm just not into my written stuff right now.:yeshrug:

try and find a drunk/crazy woman to talk to:patrice:

NelsonSwagdela

All Star
Daps
I did my first stand up. It was the most nerve racking thing of my life. That's saying something because I have played football games in front of thousands of people. When it was all said and done, it was one of the best feelings I have though. Waitress bought me a drink my friends said I did surprisingly well and they are harsh critics. One of the best times I have had in years. Then I watched the youtube clip and noticed so many things I could do to improve and I hated it more and more after watching it. Still an amazing time though.

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
I did my first stand up. It was the most nerve racking thing of my life. That's saying something because I have played football games in front of thousands of people. When it was all said and done, it was one of the best feelings I have though. Waitress bought me a drink my friends said I did surprisingly well and they are harsh critics. One of the best times I have had in years. Then I watched the youtube clip and noticed so many things I could do to improve and I hated it more and more after watching it. Still an amazing time though.

link?

NelsonSwagdela

All Star
Daps

Don't know if I wan't to put it out there yet. It was for a charity event for my university, so there are a lot of inside jokes and wouldn't click with everyone. I'll post some once I do some more. I know want to try it with complete strangers. I will tell you going off topic though and just freestyling it was the best part. Lot's of awkward pauses but it was cool to bounce back. I know I sound like a bytch and should be able to post it considering I got the nerve to get on stage. Anyways lets keep this thread rolling if other people have had some experiences. It was dope though I was an amateur performer but I got to stick around and kick it with some local pro's. They were all cool about it, sharing advice and what not made the experience even more dope.

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
link coming soon (no dorner). just wet my whistle a little bit down in little 5 points and that shyt was crazy receptive. atl y'all really care about your scene and it's got me like :mindblown:

i was at the star bar for anyone that cares. i'm on my homies comp and i don't know how to use a mac like that but like i said, i got no problem giving the brehs the unlisted yt link (just gimme some time, prolly have more footage within the week).

it wasn't my best time going up tonight but i had a goal that i met. i did some time in the A and i got to networking a little bit. i love open mics and they are a great place to try to advance your talents but i'm really thinking, after a year and a few months, about taking this to the next level. i think i've really found my voice and by the time i can up the visuals, hopefully i'll have something even more spectacular. this was a nice 3 minutes of me trying jokes that were tried. i didn't branch out enough... :ld:

am i the only one that gets stage fright? :damn: i sold my self a bit short this evening. people bought in and thought i was funny but i didn't bring my 'A' game, for sure. i did alright but if anyone has some tips on how to really let it rip APART from drugs/weed (lol)/booze, it would be greatly appreciated. i know i just gotta lay my cards on the table, but im pretty funny and could be a writer. i really want to be a good stand up tho. :wtf: :patrice:

bonus! NO notebook tonight. :whew: it was part of the reason that i didn't go up for too long. i guess i need to learn my jokes better and get a more substantial rehearsal thing going on??? any feed back is good at this point and i'm out here for another week or so. if anybody knows any more Atlanta rooms and can get me in as a visiting comic it would be greatly appreciated. i went by the uptown comedy club earlier and i'll be there fleshing out some new shyt that i just came up with today. the road is a goldmine, especially when you fly. :salute: to all my old friends. lmao.

:heh:

good luck, gang. :eat:

ugksam

The White King TuT
Daps
good luck, gang. :eat:
I dont know if I would call what i get "stage fright." I definitely have a lot of anxiety before i go up but it is more about me wanting to do good/be funny/have a good set than me worrying about being in front of a bunch of strangers, but ive only ever done stand up in the same city so i could see getting more anxious if i was traveling.

I did an open mic last night and went up as the #1 spot for the first time ever. I was nervous as fukk cause i didn't really have my set prepared so I just kind of went up and winged it. tried a new joke that worked and then just basically improved the rest of my set. Ive been thinking of a dumb comic character that loves to pander to the audience for applause breaks I was working in that. it went decent but not good but any means.

Also last night I met the biggest douche bag I have ever met in comedy thus far. Some new guy who talked to me and another open miker outside of the bar, he kept talking about how he is so funny and he figures while he is going to school and working full time he might as well make some money doing stand up because his stuff is on the same level as kevin hart and demitri martin and other famous and successful comedians that he kept comparing himself to:snoop:. he then claimed to be the most irreverent person he has ever met and that comedy is going to be easy for him because he is just so funny. my pal and i listened to this guy for like 5 minutes talking all this shyt, then he went inside and we laughed so fukkin hard about it, he couldnt have seemed like a bigger narcissistic douche bag. Going in and watching this guy perform to complete silence (other than a couple of my patented "heckle laughs") was a great feeling. I also encouraged this other comedian who likes to piss people off to go up there any make fun of him and he went up and said "hey im gonna steal your jokes and make them better....by staying at home and not doing them" :blessed:

NonPareil

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm gonna be performing a 5 minute set for the first time ever tomorrow night at the local Funny Bone. Trying to get somebody to film it for me, if I do, I'll post on here. I am ready to bomb epically, but I'll be drunk by then :laugh: