The Official Stand-Up Comedy Thread.

ugksam

The White King TuT
Daps
i think i almost got banned from my first room tonight. (i either almost did or definitely did)

the host told me that it messes up the integrity of the show when I make fun of her and it makes the venue consider not wanting to have a comedy night

i dont think either of those things are true.

NonPareil

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You guys ever had someone confront you about material? Hasn't happened to me, but we were doing a short workshop at a room I do before the show and a guy used the word wigger, referring to himself, and two COMEDIANS who were WHITE told him not to do the joke because they found it offensive. We are soft as shyt now. Comedy is supposed to be the safe place lol

Edit: the joke did suck though, that was the most offensive thing

ugksam

The White King TuT
Daps
You guys ever had someone confront you about material? Hasn't happened to me, but we were doing a short workshop at a room I do before the show and a guy used the word wigger, referring to himself, and two COMEDIANS who were WHITE told him not to do the joke because they found it offensive. We are soft as shyt now. Comedy is supposed to be the safe place lol
the only reason you should not do a joke is because it isnt funny

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh

Edit: the joke did suck though, that was the most offensive thing

he shoulda shytted on them.

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
:)
i've got pretty thick skin, as we all should but something really irked me last night. i did a mic and the show was over. as the lights are coming on, a decent local comic from my scene strolls in and wants to do some time. he said to me "i'm the most successful person here" because i didn't want to stay and watch their set. i didn't really take it personally, i just think that's a pretty douchey thing to say. but :manny:

ugksam

The White King TuT
Daps
the host told me to destroy a heckler tonight, i did it

ugksam

The White King TuT
Daps
i hosted my 2nd open mic tonight at a bar near the university of texas campus, about 15 open micers and semi established comedians came out and the show went pretty well. there were a lot of comedy shows tonight in town (like six) but a good amount of people still showed up to my show, another more established open mic had to cancel their show because only 2 people signed up, so i feel like we swagged on em. i didnt feel like i ever wanted to host an open mic but it doesnt feel bad so far.

NonPareil

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Getting into a mic tonight, gonna try out all new material. Should have someone there to film it, so ill up it for yall

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
Do you guys write a new bit every week and perform it or just work on the same bits till you think of something great? Same thing do you perform the same bits or always try something new?

The 2020 New Member

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
:)
Do you guys write a new bit every week and perform it or just work on the same bits till you think of something great? Same thing do you perform the same bits or always try something new?

i mix it up. sometimes i tell the same jokes at different places. sometimes i got completely off the top of my head.i tell a lot of the same jokes but it's normally a different order to to an unfamiliar crowd. repetition is important though.

NonPareil

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man last night was rough. The crowd wasn't feeling anybody. 17 comics went up and damn near everyone bombed. The MC actually said fukk it I'm leaving after about 5 sets. Waiting to get the vid from my friend but ill put up my personal bomb when I get it