The Official Sports Card Discussion Thread

Miggs

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.O.
I’ve only gotten through once myself. Basketball Select FOTL last year.

Pulled a Luka zebra and sold it immediately for $1750.

BUT BUT BUT BUT theres no money to be made in this hobby :francis:

Imagine the numbers for a gold vinyl Zion...

Last edited:

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
The prices for Kobe cards look more reasonable now. I’m guessing dudes were doing troll bids on eBay right after he died.
They've come down a bit from the outrageous but they're still much higher than before the crash. They're never coming down either. He was undervalued for the longest.

Codeine Bryant

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Any of you guys use Flickr or anything to show your cards? Here's mine: Regular_P’s albums | Flickr

Got it all broken down into player, year, high end, etc. if you wanna look.
Nah but I guess I should probably start one, eh? Seems like the best way to share collections and if I ever wanted to do private sales, Flickr would kinda be the storefront?

I’m finna peep your collection while at work :sas2:

Codeine Bryant

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Damn, you killed it. I've never had a hit that big before. :salute:
Thanks breh. Only 4 figure card I’ve ever pulled.

And by my recent Panini store track record, looks like it’ll stay that since I can’t even secure wax to break...

Was going to post a mail day in here but USPS playing games and says they’re going to reattempt delivery tomorrow because the address was incorrect? Like wtf. This is PSA mailing me a completed sub, btw. Bizarre.

I better get my damn slab :birdman:

Codeine Bryant

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Saw a tip that Big 5 got Prizm so I went to my local one and found a full retail box and a full cello box. Picked up both with an extra 10% off. :obama:

Only opened the retail box thus far but I pulled a Silver Morant and base Zion. :takedat: Finally landed a big card. :blessed:

RenbVJI.jpg
Hell yeah :myman:

I bought a Zion silver raw early Dec that I’m subbing soon. Looks like it could gem. Lettuce pray

Haven’t broken any 19-20 wax yet. Unable to procure any Prizm or Crown. I don’t really have a lot of interest in breaking Hoops or Donruss. Although they’re both solid products.

Hoping to score some Optic boxes. Not holding my breath.

Last year I chased Impeccable/Opulence/Court Kings case breaks and singles. For the Luka craze. Idk how I feel about it this year. Ja and Zion break prices are ridiculous. I thought Luka mania was bonkers last year but these guys just building off that this year.

That Ja silver is nice. I really really want to collect Ja but it’s hard to break wax and painful to pay for singles/breaks. Idk what to do

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
BUT BUT BUT BUT theres no money to be made in this hobby :francis:

Imagine the numbers for a gold vinyl Zion...

There is if u have money to invest into rares/autos and save them for later resales. Other then that, its a crap shoot.

Codeine Bryant

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW
There is if u have money to invest into rares/autos and save them for later resales. Other then that, its a crap shoot.
This isn’t true at all

“Lots” of cheap base rookie cards can easily get you multiples of your initial investment back in just a year or two. Sometimes if the guy is like a Luka you can see returns in a month or two. People who bought Devonte Graham and Shai cards last year for cheap? They’re over the moon right now.

My two most valuable cards I bought raw on eBay, submitted them, they gem’d, and now they’re worth almost 10x as much. In only 4 months. Short print numbered, but not autos.

Look at it like you would securities. It takes time to understand and get a feel for the market. There is no exact science to it. Nobody knows 100% what is going to be happen. Sometimes you have to wait years to make money. Sometimes you find your investment quadruple in a matter of weeks.

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
This isn’t true at all

“Lots” of cheap base rookie cards can easily get you multiples of your initial investment back in just a year or two. Sometimes if the guy is like a Luka you can see returns in a month or two. People who bought Devonte Graham and Shai cards last year for cheap? They’re over the moon right now.

My two most valuable cards I bought raw on eBay, submitted them, they gem’d, and now they’re worth almost 10x as much. In only 4 months. Short print numbered, but not autos.

Look at it like you would securities. It takes time to understand and get a feel for the market. There is no exact science to it. Nobody knows 100% what is going to be happen. Sometimes you have to wait years to make money. Sometimes you find your investment quadruple in a matter of weeks.

So what brand is best for value NBA cards? Ive had bad luck with rares and autos.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Nah but I guess I should probably start one, eh? Seems like the best way to share collections and if I ever wanted to do private sales, Flickr would kinda be the storefront?

I’m finna peep your collection while at work :sas2:

Definitely. It's free for up to 1,000 photos and easy to edit, organize, etc.

Hell yeah :myman:

I bought a Zion silver raw early Dec that I’m subbing soon. Looks like it could gem. Lettuce pray

Haven’t broken any 19-20 wax yet. Unable to procure any Prizm or Crown. I don’t really have a lot of interest in breaking Hoops or Donruss. Although they’re both solid products.

Hoping to score some Optic boxes. Not holding my breath.

Last year I chased Impeccable/Opulence/Court Kings case breaks and singles. For the Luka craze. Idk how I feel about it this year. Ja and Zion break prices are ridiculous. I thought Luka mania was bonkers last year but these guys just building off that this year.

That Ja silver is nice. I really really want to collect Ja but it’s hard to break wax and painful to pay for singles/breaks. Idk what to do

The game got fukked up in the last year. Hot rookies have always been relatively overpriced but the Luka explosion followed by Zion and Ja has things crazy for basketball.

Distributors hoarding boxes and jacking up prices WAY over MSRP is killing everyone. When I got back into it in 2015, hobby boxes of 2012-13 Prizm were like $70 on Blowout; 2013-14 Prizm was $40. Now, unless you have a hookup at a local card shop (I've been fortunate to get one box at MSRP the past few years because of this), this shyt starts at $375 and only increases.

I hope people are able to get some boxes of Optic on Wednesday because it's the only way a regular collector can get one for a decent price. If Panini continues to do this for every major release, that'll help, even if it'll still be really tough to get through on their site/app.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
So what brand is best for value NBA cards? Ive had bad luck with rares and autos.
It's really tough to find value right now with hobby boxes unless you can secure one at MSRP. Retail Prizm can be really good bang for your buck because Silver Prizms are in it. When Optic comes out next week, Retail for that (stuff you see at Walmart, Target, etc.) will be a solid buy.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Recent mail days:

49480433251_d6515106e1_c.jpg

49470879391_464c5be129_c.jpg

49503249593_b91ae09419_c.jpg

49503249548_ed4624a7df_c.jpg

49489320983_12952fbcd8_c.jpg

I sent the Best Picks Kobe to PSA to try to cross it. My main project the past couple years has been trying to get one of every Kobe rookie year card in a PSA 10. If it doesn't cross, I'll be perfectly fine with this though.

Rickdogg44

RIP Charmander RIP Kobe
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta